1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FastForward

FastForward New Member

For what it’s worth - the SteamDB Beta update history :)

Attached Files:

2. Jinximuss

Jinximuss New Member

does this mean anything? i feel like it just doesnt but i dont know

3. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I feel best to not overthink any of it, just patience, and wait for the next Dev Update Part 3

4. Deviouz

Deviouz New Member

I assume you don't use VR.

If we take a look of what VR has to offer about the problem of us not seeing our actual gear. It is still not much. Basically it is just couple of VR headsets with a passable passthrough cameras for mixed reality which allows to make "windows" to real world and see your gear that way, but the quality of those cameras are still no where near to the quality which would make the exprience feel "real". Like somebody said earlier here that it feels more like a immersion killer, which it is.

Flat screen players dont even see the simulators wheel, but us playing in VR do. So it actually has an impact of immersiveness for us. Having that 1:1 feeling of what you are seeing is crucial imo.

There is basically 2 options to match my wheel to the car i am driving in the simulator 1. Do as you suggested, try to emulate the virtual reality and get a wheel for every single car i drive in the simulator. Use more money than i would use on actual race car in the process. 2. Change the VIRTUAL WHEEL in the game to match my wheel in the rig. Add handtracking in the mix and voila, most immersive VR experience there is without those grainy ass passthrough cameras.

I agree that it might not make sense ATM from development point of view like u said.

And who are you to make the rules? VR is a whole new ballgame and i think developers should keep an open mind about ideas around it. It is the future of simracing after all IMO.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2024
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

All the cooks are in the kitchen :)

• Like x 11
    • Funny x 9
    • Winner x 5
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Friendly x 1
  6. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I overthink about SteamDB, just ask any beta member and also Marius

7. Alexandre Costa

Alexandre Costa Active Member

Imagine that I go to flight simulator forum and ask a Boeing 737 with a side stick because I don't have a yoke. Or I ask on DCS forum for a F18 with a yoke because is all I have.
    If you want to make the wheel a little bit closer to the real one you should buy more wheels. That's what everybody is doing or wants to do someday.
    In the end you should be looking ahead on the track, not to the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Deviouz

Deviouz New Member

Gotta say that i know **** about flight sims, planes or whatever, but i assume that the examples you gave would require more work than replacing a wheel. Which is always at the same position. Not to downplay the work which would have to be done to achieve this.

Comparing monitor and VR in this matter is hard. Do you think that u shouldn't be able to drive a gt3 car with PHYSICAL formula wheel on a monitor? If you dont, i dont get why you think that i shouldnt be able to change the virtual wheel, since it is essentially the same thing. We both see a wheel which doesnt match the real car.

9. Alexandre Costa

I understand what you say, but even in VR you probably don't have your wheel exactly in the same position as the real car. I play in VR with a T300 Ferrari Alcantara Edition and a Playseat Challenge and the only car that matches the position is the Mercedes GT4. I'm fine with that. Including when I play a Formula car and the driver's legs are in a completely different position than mine.
    Sorry, I just don't get the point of asking devs to change what the real car looks like. Their job is to make the thing as close to reality as possible. On the other hand, we should be trying to make our setup as close as possible to it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. robillard3381

robillard3381 Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I can't even imagine the amount of work needed to have all the wheels available for all the vehicles... Modeling them all in 3D, then integrating them all into all the vehicles with the right rotation axes and scale, making sure it doesn't obstruct the view if you have a round wheel in an openwheeler etc... Just from my artistic point of view, it seems so complicated. And then you would need all the necessary code to be able to swap them. All that for a very small handful of users to use it, I'm not entirely sure it's possible! But hey, if we're told to do it, we'll do it of course. I just wouldn't count on it for the moment, there are so many more important things to improve or integrate before that!

• Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
  11. Harry_Harras

Harry_Harras New Member

Your sister is simply right - at least where I am living (germany), it is forbidden to cross more than one lane at a time. And esp in roundabout it is dangerous driving behaviour, because of all the stuff thats happening and the other streets/cars pouring in.

It may not be practical for you, but you can plan ahead your lane you know? And if it is almost a traffic-jam, you can easily move one lane at a time before the exit comes ...

How this can be a lifelong argument is beyond me :D

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fatih

Fatih Active Member

:hurrayreiza:

13. Deviouz

Deviouz New Member

I tend to adjust my position as close as possible i can in the sim using the wheel as anchor point, but yeah. Feet are another thing, but that doesnt bother me much at all tbh.

I can imagine it would be a big task and really not worth the effort. It was mostly just me wondering how nice it would be, not realistically expecting it to happen.

14. Akak7

Akak7 New Member

My T150 in the Formula ultimate cars would look quite pathetic :D I also don't think this makes much sense, and I also play exclusively in VR. Maybe I don't press as many buttons as you do or something, but those I press often I pretty much know where they are and I am definitely not looking at the wheel (not in-game nor my wheel) when doing it, even in those dark times when I was playing without VR. I would like to have some car customization (skins) but this feels to me like it is really not necessary.

To me, after I am 5 minutes in the car, I have the feeling that I am really touching the wheel I am looking at, even if my tiny t150 is obviously smaller than most wheels and don't have the corresponding shape of for example formula wheels (which doesn't matter since my hands are always fixed anyway). Touching a couple of buttons here or there eventually without even looking down to the wheel doesn't make that great feeling disappear :) I might lose immersion if I overthink it when I am driving a car with for example H-Pattern and I am shifting exclusively with the wheel paddles (that I often do since I am very bad with the shifter) or if I have the shifter in my right side but I am in a car where the shifter is in the contrary side... But well, only when overthinking, when racing I am too focused for that. Just my thoughts in the discussion while we patiently reach 100 pages

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Your steering wheel is always visible in the periphery, whether VR or monitor. Not to mention when they press a button their eyes automatically quickly go to the wheel. No, it is technically far too complicated to integrate it into VR at the moment, but I also see a lot of potential in the future. Be it through the game developer or through other technologies

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. FlashQld

FlashQld New Member

Having done some modding in my years and having my silly idea to recreate half a dozen wheels like their real life counterparts, several times over several years, it is a mammoth effort. Modelling, textures, rotations, getting animations for the wheel alone is model it move it model it move it, one wheel at a time, one set of hands. Getting the hand s to touch one spot and then recreating it for a different wheel, so many model variations aaagghhh, I get the sweats just thinking about it. The reason these things probably haven't been done is that they are trying to model realism, catering for every type of sim wheel just not possible. What about my hand made versions which are entirely different. Now if we spent more time just putting a save game feature in AMS2 then that will be worth another $60 to me.

PS I do have VR and a button box, just a matter of muscle memory.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

The classic case where realism isn’t going to happen no matter how hard you try is H Pattern/Sequential shifting or pulling a handbrake. Unless the sim can read your mind that animation is always going to be out of sync. Even if you had multiple shifters/handbrakes on each side of the rig depending on car type you still get the delay.

For me I find that the sim does a pretty good job in VR of fooling your brain into believing you are sitting in the car. The legs are a bit more problematic but you’re not really looking at them. I look down to see that my chest is aligned with the VR body and just make a few minor adjustments on the view settings if I need to.

Maybe my brain is a bit too easily convinced, but I tend to stick with my 300mm GT Neo, but if I get in car with a smaller rim my brain seems to think the wheel feels smaller and I might as well be holding my 270mm Formula rim.

I might go to a round rim if I’m going to be using that a lot but most of the time my brain does the hardwork. I went straight from driving a formula car with a small rim to the Mercedes E190e DTM at the weekend and VR does a great job for me of changing the perception of wheel size.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Alexandre Costa

Whenever I look to the driver's body I think "I need to lose weight, how can anyone be this thin?"
    Reiza should be inclusive and diverse and put fat bodies in the car as well. (Ironic mode on)

• Funny Funny x 11
  19. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza mentioned they will not propose again a Season Pass upfront for the reasons that are mentioned already above. They also mentioned they might consider proposing a bundle after DLCs at the end of a certain cycle/period. There were no more details on when and what might go in this "after the fact" bundle.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Maverick Knight

Maverick Knight New Member

Hi there ;)
    To bridge the time until the release of 1.6, I yesterday did a 45 min race in RaceRoom with 45 GT3 cars on the Nürburgring 24h layout. (After downloading another 2.3 GB update :))

Quite nice with the up-to-date Nords and the overhauled graphics even if the AI is not as good as with AMS2.

At this point I again realized, that RR supports the shortcut to the pits / start finish line before turning in to the "Green Hell" as it is possible in RL. As far as I do memorize, this is actually not possible in the REIZA Nürburgring 24h layout.

Is there any chance, that this important detail of this layout will be integrated by REIZA?

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.