1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harizrushdi

harizrushdi Wiki Helper

Unlisted, to be exact - if you can find the link, you can still see it

2. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

But why do I have to do this?
    Is the AI really learning something during a pre-race session? Do they need to adjust themself to the car & track & other parameters?
    Isn‘t it just hard coded behavior for every car & track combination?
    I can‘t really imagine it‘s the first thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hamady91

Hamady91 Member

At least by deleting the stream it shows that the quality required wasn't here

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Diego Scotto

Diego Scotto New Member

I have taken the time to watch several races in different categories and the AI works more realistically in long races, in those of less than 30 minutes they tend to get stuck in groups of several cars with clumsy movements.
    I notice that the car that goes along the ideal line usually wins 90% of the duels, which makes it difficult to pass.
    To really see how the AI works you have to do the classification because it helps to organize the cars in their natural racing positions and see it from the outside with a TV camera, and the truth is that it works much better than what is seen in the videos that have published, always talking about long races, I take the trouble to choose circuits that are in the championships set by Reiza and I respect the laps they set and there the AI is much better.
    I am quite optimistic about 1.6, I don't see much bad things, I hope it comes out soon, greetings.

5. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

I think part of the reason people are picking up on the grouping is that in a previous version it very much seemed to be issue. You would get 3 AI cars running together, jockeying for position but not doing much, then a gap, and then another group doing the same seemingly all the way down the field. The only time the behaviour seemed to change was when you were in amongst them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You should do it because without qualifying a slow driver could start in the front row and leads to more skilled drivers being held up by "him". If you do a qualy session this won't happen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. LostPatrol

LostPatrol Member

Yep, it seems to be the most effective way of getting the best distribution of AI drivers by skill/performance across the field

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. whokilledduncan

whokilledduncan Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You don't have to do it, if you don't mind the AI tripping over themselves a bit. Whatever the ins and outs behind their programming, this is as recommended by Renato himself many many times - run a qualifying session that allows all cars to run at least five laps so they can sort themselves out into pace order, which in turn leads to tidier races.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

It's mainly so AI sort themselves out into a realistic pace order factoring in all the available things that affect it, like their skills and the car ability and suitability to that track.

However, in AC yes the AI make setup tweaks during qualifying to amend their fuel limits (they calculate how much is needed for their average lap) and final drive ratios - I'm not sure if they adjust more than that. Frustratingly, that's not saved session to session. Not sure if AMS2 has any of that happening.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thomas Gropp

Thomas Gropp GreyHairRacing

That's something that would interest me too! I mean, how much "real" AI is in the AI, i.e. is it really using current methods of ML? Geoff Crammond's GP series had excellent AI, and he had certainly never heard of neural networks.

Modern ML worflows consist of (essentially and very simplified) two parts.
    - Training the model
    - Using the trained model

Are the devs really training an AI model? Is this technology already the basis of sim AI? Or are we still "only" talking about (complex) "algorithms"? The latter would never learn anything, they do exactly what they are supposed to do, predictably. Of course, you can artificially build in some random parameters to make it look "human".

But "real" AI, based on ML, could learn from the player, but it would have to do this separately on each PC/console. That would no longer be comparable. Technologically, it might even be possible, because most of our GPUs now have the ability to handle tensors, which is already used for anti-aliasing (although the model is trained by the developer).

Does anyone here have more detailed information?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

Ok, I understand the point, that after Qualification the AI field is sorted by their skill.
    When I look at a custom Ai file, I see that the skill gets entered in plain numbers.
    So why do a Qualification to do the sorting? Just let them start in order of their skill level.

Rfactor2 had the same thing going for years and Studio 397 „fixed“ this before moving on to LMU.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

I don't believe there's any sign of this in sim racing yet, it's algorithm based. It makes sense for it to logically head that way in future, but it's not the click of a button to implement for sure.

Because a skill level is only one variable. And AMS2 has a lot of different skill values that factor in (list).

And there can be plenty of different cars in a race - Jacky Ickx probably has a higher skill level than Jean-Louis Schlesser in Group C racing, but ultimately the Porsche would just hold up the Mercedes. Weather can affect how the cars behave, so can track conditions.

There's probably improvements that can be made, but it also makes sense that letting a qualification session take place will improve your experience further.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pales

Pales Member

I understand the complexity behind fine-tuning AI across multiple classes and the incremental nature of improvements. However, my feedback is based on consistent issues that persist with every major update, not just a single stream. While I appreciate the improvements being made, it’s hard to overlook the fact that key problems – like poor overtaking logic, odd slipstream behavior, and getting stuck behind lapped traffic – continue to reoccur.

The AI might perform well in isolated tests or specific conditions, but in real-world races, many of us are still seeing these same shortcomings. I’m not expecting perfection or an “extra-human” experience, but if the AI can’t handle basic overtaking or judge traffic properly, it severely impacts the overall gameplay.

I understand progress takes time, but after several updates, these issues feel less like incremental progress and more like recurring obstacles. I just hope that future patches address these fundamental problems more effectively.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

ask Crimson

15. Mirko Pricoco

Mirko Pricoco Active Member

Yeah i was thinking about it after...the do more hardware than software!

16. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

You are still commenting on an update you haven´t tried yet based on a single stream. There´s no way around it :) If a pattern of minor steps in previous updates assures there can be no major steps surely there wouldn´t be a reason to expect much to begin with.

There is an unedited gameplay video in the OP meant precisely to showcase the AI developments, featuring numerous AI-on-AI and AI-on-player overtakes, clean battles, defensive and alternative lines being used, in a way it won´t happen in the current release using the very same car-track combo (which in turn is already better than the version we had one year ago in this regard); the OP has a whole list of such keypoint improvements. There will be more such videos in the coming days to demonstrate these and other improvements. You can take in those positive references, or choose to focus on a stream that unfortunately featured almost exclusively very fast wide cars around some of the narrowest most winding tracks in the game as the be all end all reference.

I´d suggest taking in both references, keep under consideration the fact work is still ongoing to maybe hold conclusions until trying it out for yourself.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2024
    • Like x 29
    • Agree x 17
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
  17. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A good way to stop being tempted to abuse possible AI weaknesses (notably them braking a bit too soon before turns) is to play with full damage enabled as any collision might be fatal. And it is much more immersive as you have to be really careful about your actions and risky moves, instead of being tempted to pass by force with little to no consequences.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Mirko Pricoco

Mirko Pricoco Active Member

Well said Renato! Well Said!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ZolaLegend

ZolaLegend Member

Can we just have Road Atlanta this weekend Renato:)

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Because by showing restraint on the first lap leads to a better overall race experience. Ultimately it depends on what is more important to you.

But I do agree there shouldn't be a need to, I can't understand why even if the AI are a second a lap quicker than the player they still always start slow. Perhaps it's to do with so many of them being within close proximity to each other?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.