Automobilista 2 September 2024 Development Update - The Road to V1.6 Pt2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Sep 17, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartu14

Kartu14 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi,
    This Sunday is my birthday, so as a sweet gift, Reiza please release either the part 3 or the 1.6 ! :whistle::cool::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. ZolaLegend

ZolaLegend Member

so i take from that at least 2 weeks. i can let my F5 key take a rest also.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Thank you for this much appreciated information. During this break, can we expect videos related to V1.6?

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Derishk

Derishk Member

Thanks for the update! Are we to understand that the other streamers scheduled to broadcast previews of 1.6 “in the next few days” have been cancelled?

• Like Like x 3
  5. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

My birthday is this Monday. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. kivipallur1

kivipallur1 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You didn't happen to read Renatos post just before yours, did you?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

Thanks for the update - However what about those previews and livestreams you said would be coming?

• Like Like x 2
  8. J.Blum

J.Blum New Member

laissons les tranquilles ☺️

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

?

10. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I assume they are still coming, just postponed a bit...

• Like Like x 1
  11. JASON CHAMBERLAIN

JASON CHAMBERLAIN Member

You know Renato is a gamer when he refers to some of the distracting work as "side quests." I love that!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Djin

Djin Member

Looks like a november release if we are lucky, most likely december :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. AllocDK

AllocDK Active Member

Also my guess - Christmas release like 1.5 last year

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats about it, the hype will dwindle down again unfortunately

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

'No need for simpathy'

Was that a spelling mistake or an intended pun? ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

I know some will find this daft but as I’m mainly an offline player and I completed the Championship I created ( A fake IMSA one) I have been reluctant to start another as I want to enjoy it in all its glory when 1.6 releases. Been like that now for probably a month and I don’t think I’ll fire it up now until release. Plenty of other options to keep me occupied.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Since I was mentioned just above, I will give my answer: everyone should set-up AMS 2 with Default+ (the effective default for the game) until it feels as good as possible prior to using or comparing to a custom FFB file. There are two reasons for this:
    1. The people who create the game express a design philosophy, in this case of highly communicative FFB relative to other sims, and have hand-tuned every car to provide what should be a set-once-and-forget approach to the FFB
    2. Even if you end-up preferring a custom file in the end, or, really want the extra detailed configurability that a custom file provides, you can only truly understand the benefits (and possible cons, too) after establishing a proper base line, first
    It is very easy to muck-up your own FFB situation by needlessly fiddling with a bunch of wheel-specific settings, almost none of which are advisable or necessary, and then spend hours correcting those problems by fiddling some more with custom files. The smarter route is to use neutral settings for everything on your wheel (except the most basic friction and damping if you are using a DD wheel). That means resetting everything to default and/or neutral adjustments--this alone can require research for some wheels as it is not obvious. Don't use the tuning software that comes with wheel (besides the basic settings mentioned).

What you will discover as so many others have before (you can look up all my posts and replies to posts about this if you want) is that the out-of-the-box FFB, if not ruined by distortion from wheel manufacturer software or firmware settings, is incredibly dynamic and informative. You may even discover that other games feel better, too, for the same reason--games are designed to work with base settings, not 23 custom adjustments that are made available to you to make the expensive wheel you just bought seem impressive or unique to you.

As for the AMS 2 settings, once the neutral foundation is in place, start Gain and FX at 50. If you have a DD wheel, put Low Force Boost at 5, a decent mechanical wheel put it at 15 and an older, weaker wheel, at 50. Damping is the trickiest one...but I think starting at 50 is probably best. Ignore Menu Strength for now as it has nothing to do with FFB.

Take your favourite car on your favourite track (so you are familiar and can focus on what happens when you adjust things). Adjust the Gain until it is a reasonable amount of effort to steer the car in corners.

Next, play with Damping, which is what will give you the dynamic feedback of the wheel actually feeling like it is attached to a race car--that is much more direct and responsive than any road car (which is the only thing most people have driven). When you hit a sharp curb at a glancing angle (i.e., you made a slight mistake in your line) in a kart or light-weight race car, it can rip the wheel out of your hand. Don't be afraid of some springiness or what might seem like exaggerated reactions as it can be toned-down later if necessary. I will be surprised if you do not want to turn Damping lower than the 50 starting point, but who knows with all the hardware combos out there...

Last, tackle FX. By this time, you should have somewhat decent feedback dialed-in. So simply move FX to 0 as a comparison to the 50 it has been at all along and then switch it to 100. Compare and choose what you like best.

At this stage, take one more pass through to make small adjustments to each setting if something feels unnatural. LFB can dull the sensations unnecessarily, so we always want to minimize that one. Damping should always make the experience feel a bit scary or uncontrolled--like taming a wild horse (which maybe we will actually be able to do in AMS 2 at some point ;) Resist dulling things down unless it is truly unpleasant or unrealistic. I prefer FX as high as possible, because I like all the feedback I can get. I want to know what all four corners of the car are doing to the maximum extent because I drive by that feedback. I am not good at video game-style twitch responses to visual feedback. I need it to feel like a real race car, but FX is tunable to your own preference.

Drive for a few hours now with a variety of other vehicles to make sure the FFB approach gels in your mind...and possibly tweak a bit more, if needed. You may find one vehicle versus another suggests a slight adjustment to you.

Only then, try your custom file and you will understand what you are gaining and losing when you use it.

• Winner Winner x 16
    • Informative Informative x 11
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Race4Fun

Race4Fun New Member

I don't know if it refers to this case but i have seen certain inconsistencies related to visual damage in replays.
    I have also occasionally seen cars still showing damage after leaving the box in mp.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2024
  19. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

LOL, you are not alone. I've been holding on completing my F1 History career for a year because of each new update. Stuck at the very beginning on 1968, will probably end up completing the first season by 2026 :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Just to add a TL/DR to my previous post for those out there who struggle to understand longer rambly forum posts: the team is taking a much needed break in order to reach release and all subsequent duties with rested minds; Updates that dont have a release date can’t be late; you all will have it soon enough.

Join us touching some grass folks, life is short :)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2024
    • Like x 22
    • Agree x 13
    • Winner x 10
    • Friendly x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.