1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.0.1.0 & Hockenheimring Pack RELEASED - Now updated to v1.0.1.2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It seems like brake ducts work the opposite way around to what I would expect. It has opening in the name so I assumed 100% would mean 100% open. This is as confusing as the TC/ABS settings IMO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Whait, that means, the percentage means 100% taping/closing instead of 100% opening??? :eek:

Some things need some re-testing now, here...it seems...:(

3. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Holy shmoly, quit confusing old men :eek:
    I also thought 100% means 100% open. Does it? Does it not?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. CrimsonEminence

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    ....AAAndy, can you verify this for sure? This would change a lot...also when thinking of heat dissipation on brakes->tyres->hot pressure increase etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The brake ducts and radiator work correctly 0% = closed for all the cars I tested. Unless some models are bugged this conversation is all wrong

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Lets see it that works.

@CrimsonEminence @Ettore Imho. Closed and open should be displayed or so. Perhaps as a mouse hover-thingy.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Andy-R

Not positive but in the Lotus 72 (after a lap or two to warm brakes up) with 0% my rear brakes will go below 400 on the main straight but with 100% they stay above 400. Only tested in TT with the L72E

8. CrimsonEminence

Seems like something for the physics bug thread, may need some explanation. :whistle:

9. Andy-R

Or I'm wrong, I did check with both 100% and 0% a couple of times (only really looking at rears as front temp isnt such an issue, I left front duct at 50%) and it seemed like the rear brakes cooled more with 0% to me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. CrimsonEminence

2 laps with open and closed brake ducts on a track with long straights and hard braking zones will reveal the truth. :whistle:
    200.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

I made a two laps test at Adelaide with the Vintage G1M1

with 100% open ducts
    20200731190150_1.jpg

with 100% close ducts
    20200731190440_1.jpg

As you can see, ducts do basically nothing

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CrimsonEminence

Also no difference in cooling down on acceleration?

13. Andy-R

I tried a super scientific test at Kyalami :p and saw basically no difference between 100% and 0%. I got the rear brakes to 500 at a specific point in the final turn and checked temps at the final brake marker before T1 and they were pretty much the same (maybe 3-5 difference.) Also tried it straight from TT start point checking at the final marker before T1 without using the brakes and result there was identical. I guess rear ducts just dont do a lot.

Sorry for the false alarm :D

14. Ettore

I have done Hockenheim 2001 many laps consecutively because only after 7-10 laps temps are stabilized. I run 10% and 90% just to exclude a bug in the extreme ranges. My findings are that with 10% you get before the first chicane with around 375-395C and with 90% you get to the first chicane more consistently in the 375-380C bracket, but it is higly dependent on the way you brake for T1 and how much trail braking you do in a given lap... The difference between more or less trail braking is already 10-15C. IMO the more stable place to check is the Senna chicane (3rd chicane) because it comes after three cycles of braking and accelerating. In the 3rd chicane 90% opening is clearly consistently at 405C against 425C for 10% so I think the ducts are working correctly... I think where there are braking zones close with each other it is more dependent on how much you are using the brakes than how much duct you opened. Ducts in these cars don't seem to have the same amount of effect they have in other cars.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

About the Vintage cars, my vote goes to "delete the ducts option" and give the brakes discs more thermal inertia. That could help to reduce fast pressure increase.

16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Sorry to debunk your statistics, but it is clear from all your results and @Damian Baldi that the ducts are simply not programmed to work at this point. There must be some mid-point setting they are stuck on regardless of what we pick in the set-up menu. All of these results are within the range of tiny differences in pedal pressure as would be expected from any human operator.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Micropitt

I'm not really sure how it is with open wheelers since I don't drive them a lot. I do use the Stock Car 2020 and AJR a lot and with the Stock Car (G55 as well) changing the duct does have an affect on brake temperature. Usually when I have the Stock Car in race setup the brake bias is something like 62/38 and duct is 40/30. In TT setup I often go down to 20/10 but it also depends a lot on which race track I'm on. I often can see brake temps exceeding 1000 degree. Brake bias is playing a role and I believe that the material of the brakes plays a role as well. Some cars have carbon disks and some have steel disks. Now, I'm in no way a Engineer but I do know that different materials behave different when it comes to heating up and cooling down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Micropitt

Probably a dumb question......, do the vintage open wheelers have disk brakes or drum brakes?

19. The Walker

The Walker Active Member

Should be disk brakes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ettore

You may have missed the conclusion:
    The post was trying to shed some light on whether or not the ducts seemed to work reversed, not to prove whether or not the weight of the duct opening vs the thermal inertia of the discs is correct, which was questioned also in my conclusion. ;)