1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.1.0 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.1.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just to follow this up, Ive now tested this with a number of different cars and tracks and unfortuately its same with all so far. Set dry weather to change to rain half way through a race and the A.I. just give up. Shortly after the first bit of rain falls they slow down to so much its like driving miss daisy, then after they've pitted and come back out on wets its no better, you can just stay on slicks and slide around whilst leaving them for dust. I was having an amazing time with the A.I. beofre these last to updates, but now, coupled with the revided aro drafting (which is now once again like hitting turbo boost as soon as you're behind a car) its gone south.
    However im not too worried! What im imagining has happened is that Reiza has put in some new behavoir that for one reason or another needs to be in there now, but will screw things up until what ever finishing touch needs to be put in next update, I hope so anyway. Im thinking its one of those, it needs to get worse before it gets better again senario's. But for the moment I'll have to just enjoy online racing only for a bit. Oh, one more thing, i did try to start a race with Rains for the whole session to see if the A.I. just can't handle rain at all anymore, turns out its better, but their ability is still dulled down to way below how they'd usually be in the dry. How are others finding this?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As part of the GT1 championship, Just did a 30 min race with Merc GT1 on Hockenheim 2001 in heavy rain conditions (from start to finish) with 98% AI and can confirm the AI was way to slow. Started 1st and finished 1st without being challenged by any of the AI cars at any time, taking a huge abnormal lead in the first lap. At the last lap, I even lapped last AI car and the race results summary showed that 2nd car was 1min55s behind me... Though most AI cars had their best lap times just 5s greater than mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Curious.. Why does the audio in the replays have a lot of reverb..?

4. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

keys please.. :p:cool:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you are right on this, I just did a Ginetta cup race at Oulton Park starting wet and drying up. On wets on a wet track they were significantly slower (as much as 20sec per lap at times), wets on a dry-ish track (I pulled over to wait for them) they got really quick and faster than me, then slicks on dry they were the same pace as me. I'm sure it will be balanced up in due course, I'm happy to stick to dry races for the time being.

6. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it possible to lower external sound of the Ginettas?
    Did a race with GT3 and GT4 cars, everytime when passing a Ginetta my ears are 'exploding' while driving the McLaren GT3 the engine and road is hardly to hear.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

First I want to say that I don't completely want to compare Automobilista 2 with Project Cars 2. I can clearly see that AMS2 is much better physics wise. It just feels like some stubborn things leftover hinders its progress IMO.
    Maybe it has something to do with the camera to, when I look at people with VR it most of the time seems better physics wise, which makes no sense.
    I know it acts like a red lap to a bull to mention PC2 with AMS. Because it is most of the time used as a low effort to troll.
    Also, the sounds from the tyres are not helping, it sounds like they are locking up very fast and that also hinders the impression. Maybe in the future, I will show clips with what I mean with the problems that I mention. That will make things much more clear.
    I wish I could afford a good wheel, but that is not the only bit, you also need to place it in a good way along with the pedals and this is also a big problem.

8. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I personally do it every time I start a session with a car. I hit reset to default and then load my saved setup. Just to make sure any physics change is properly accounted for. Takes about 3 seconds and ensure I am running the latest car Reiza wants me to run... ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ettore

I think with the recent modifications to tires some tuning is still needed for several cars especially on the temperatures the tires develop but not only. Almost surely there will be more adjustments coming.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ettore

That is what a diff should do: increase the ramps and the locking effect will be less (i.e. less understeer) decrease the ramp and the locking effect will be more (i.e. understeer). Choose "on power" or "coast" depending on when you want the effect to take place or increase the pre-load for all-around adjustment.
    However that is true until you start drifting the car's rear: put an insane amount of locking and drive the front hard enough and in tight radius corner the rear will drift under coasting.
    In some cars this "workaround" seems to give a more realistic feeling for certain cars for which users expect the oversteer to be present, however it is just a bit of a faked palliative that exerts a toll on the tires, in fact they overheat much more in that condition (in a similar way to what would happen for a too less locked differential).
    The scope of a differential is not to induce drifts to replace natural oversteer at turn in, it is to accompany the car through a corner opening when required to give a small but reassuring neutrality/oversteering at turn in and ensure enough locking when powering out of a corner to control traction and the natural power oversteer of an unlocked differential.
    At least in big fat tires relatively high downforce and high power cars.
    In some other types of cars you may want to use it slightly differently but we are not talking about the most common ones like modern fornulas, GT3s etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Dd minor?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. sedesa tatasa2

sedesa tatasa2 BANNED BANNED AMS2 Club Member

Lost reaction to road bumps

13. psone

psone Guest

please tag this kind of thing nsfw in future...:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I do the same , but had a problem with the Bmw german touring car. it would always revert back to last saved custom setup no matter what i did. even after deleting all setups,
    eventually i got it to just be new default. but the car is still impossible to drive. spins constantly on slow turns

15. AndreiC

AndreiC Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree the BMW DTM car used to have some "good" oversteer on corner entry once you got used to the handling you could have a lot of speed on corner entry and the thought the corner and be fast but now the back end just goes with no warning.
    I managed to make the car easier to drive with a few tweaks, look at the file attached, might help.

Attached Files:

• bmw.jpg
      bmw.jpg
      File size:
      908.9 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Kuku Maddog

I will have to try that.
    The Mercedes isn’t much better . They were a lot better on first release.
    Those two cars and the V8 Supercar need a lot of work, but they seem to be getting worse. the V8 has the most extreme body yaw/roll that tank slaps constantly, there’s no way to tame it, it also has to much drivetrain inertia or something, causing too much torque steer , which then brings on the tank slap roller coaster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To me, the Group A cars have been varying levels of broken since release.

On release, the 190 had way too much engine braking and was a struggle to keep straight out of corners. After a quick hotfix they were both "fine", although still had too much engine braking. Gradually they reduced it until they were kinda fun, but you were still required to make some pretty excessive setup changes to go from heavy oversteer to a more neutral balance. Then for a while they toned them way down with the weird upside-down diff that locked on corner entry and opened on corner exit. People complained a lot and so we got this newest iteration with sloppy tyres that can't take any lateral loads.

We seem to get constant iterations but no convergence towards a working, fun to drive sim car. I have no clue whether the versions in AC or R3E are more realistic, but at least those are fun to drive, while the AMS2 ones really aren't.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Kuku Maddog

The Mercedes in pc2 is traction limited at the rear , but nothing you can’t control with gentle throttle . more responsive overall.

19. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

That's not a fair general statement to make, because they are fun to drive to a lot of people. It's a matter of taste and you're of course free to state your personal opinion that way. If you take them by the scruff of their neck and overdrive them then they have been fun since day 1. If you expect an on rails setup that you can trust to never over-rotate on turn-in or mid-corner then no. There's no reason to move towards that to cater to some drivers since they represent a specific style of race car - unless Reiza starts adding an extra stable default setup to some cars.

Even the R3E Merc has to be overdriven out of the box to get good cornering out of it. A lot more I think. AMS2 is more eager to me. Another difference is that you can adjust its differential freely in R3E to make it more on rails if you like. More seasoned Merc drivers may want to decrease coast lock to lose the "training wheels" that the high coast lock creates off throttle. Judging by old DTM footage I think the overdriving approach is a fair default even if it isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I'm really confused by this. No way to tame it? Are we playing a different game? The Super V8 is one of the best handling cars in AMS2. It's easy to throttle steer and trust that lifting will stabilise it. Too much throttle oversteer will of course end up in a spin or at least burn the rear tires so you can't drive it like that 24/7. They are unconventional cars to drive, but fast once you get the hang of the driving style.

I believe you, but at the same time I have no idea what you're talking about :D. The only thing that would make sense to me if they changed completely within the last month.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Kuku Maddog

im referring to the side to side weight shift, its over the top , and feels out of time .
    They are heavy cars but not that boat like in suspension, It used to be better.
    It’s like the centre of gravity is too high or something

• Agree Agree x 1