1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.2.0 RELEASED - Now updated to v1.1.2.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You can lower the in game gain or if you are referring to the 20-30% extra I have to crank on for the Super V8 then you can just lower that vehicle specific gain as that was for a closer feel to 18-20 Nm 0.8:1 or 1:1. Friction and damping will also give a heavier feel and can slow down countersteer moment's..

• Like Like x 1
  2. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

I want to make one thing very very clear. I don't have the sim. But I really do care for the sim. Because I find it remarkable how with such a small group they evolve and listen to their fans. And I wish they would be much bigger than they are now because they deserve it in my eyes. So I watch many videos and I think that I can extrapolate how it feels to drive (also because I have been playing racing games my whole life). But if this disqualifies me then say so. I want to be super clear about that. If people find that I am talking bollocks, then I will stop.
    I don't know why you shouldn't feel connected to the road. I think you find connected to the road in real life, no?
    I hated that hovering feeling in PC2 and I sometimes see the same in AMS2 and when you combine that with that understeer and oversteer that seems to just slide over the surface. It totally disconnects it from its surface. There are a couple of things that don't seem right to me. That is the bounciness (also that the chassis flex is far too much, this leads to one of the front tyres to lift up) that I sometimes see, the differential, and that floating feeling that disconnects from the road.

3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Cool, thanks Coanda, you must workout with those settings, lol. I do and I felt like I had done a shoulder workout afterwards, lol.

4. Coanda

The Super V8 has come a long way and this is also represented in it's attitude on replays however in my opinion it still needs some further refinement and there is some setup options missing. ie. ride height & bump stops.. Furthermore will we have roll centre adjustments as this vehicle relies on this heavily?

I think AMS2 already has many A+ cars and a few that no other sim will touch. That said I don't think this one fits into that category just yet.

I consider the Gen 2 Mustang in iRacing to be pretty special. It really is a fine sim vehicle. It has to be the benchmark when it comes to Aussie V8 Supercars.

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes mate, unfortunately it does. You try to discuss AMS2s car dynamics with a disadvantage of not having actually driven the sim. (Obvious things, like the rollovers in the following post don't require to have driven it, of course, but "floatyness"? I don't know...)
    Bouncyness can also happen due to too stiff chassis. Front tires lifting up doesn't have to be chassis related and doesn't have to be unnormal. It can be, but doesn't need to.
    What exactly is wrong with the roll centre, you think?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  6. CrimsonEminence

Well...uhm, when we are at the watching videos to determinate driving behaviour topic.
    Timestamp 1:32
    One of these both the Mustang? The AMS2 SuperV8 had these issues at the beginning of the release, too.

7. Coanda

It's useful to set the car up.. I'm a little out of touch with the rules however they did make changes in the pit stop too..

8. Split Second

I guess that I then have to stop posting :( . One thing than about the chassis. In a corner (say you go left) the back right gets loaded and the front left unloads. In some cars (I have seen it in group c) it loads extremely. So much almost where the front lifts almost of the road. I have seen this same thing in PC2 and not in another sim. Now I know that something happens in real life, but not that extreme. It almost seems like there is some cross flex in the chassis (if you know what I mean).

9. CrimsonEminence

Ah, you mean the adjustment in this series, i thought, you meant the physics of the car itself.
    I think, there will be always limitations for some parts of the setup. This one specific roll center adjustment is pretty unusual for most applications, no idea, if it could be implemented, good idea, though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's hard to explain to someone not driving the sim, but if the visual looks "bouncy" or "floaty" (courtesy mostly of the now viral non-legacy camera setting IMHO) that doesn't mean that the steering wheel is not providing a proper feeling of what the car is doing and a solid grip can't be found with a good enough setup, sometimes even with baseline lately. Having driven a lot of PC2 in the past I can say that things have evolved really dramatically from that sim.
    I think generally the trouble most people are having to accept AMS2 as realistic, apart from the known issues being worked on already, is the fact that the attempt to simulate in details a huge amount of physical and technical events in the car makes for very high sensitivity to all settings (both in garage and in general) and anyway for a feeling that is somewhat dissimilar to most of the other sims.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. CrimsonEminence

It can also happen due to suspension giving up more.
    images.jpg

Not everything in pC2 was wrong, though...maybe it is wrong for some cars, maybe it is totally right. It's not "because of the project CARS 2 heritage" though.
    People like to sh** on the Madness Engine a bit too much in general (not meant to you in particular or so) and if something drives differently to [insert favourite holy grail of simracing here, for me it would be AMS1], it must be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Split Second

Just so you know. I am very critical. But that doesn't mean that this sim is not good. I wouldn't be here if it was. The devs are great and listen constantly and they push to the limit. And also to be clear. I refer much to Project Cars 2 because I had it and I see some of the same issues. But that doesn't mean AMS2 hasn't evolved greatly and has almost shed its PC2 skin. It is nothing like PC2 anymore. But I still feel like I am correct in the things I have stated. But if the people who are actually driving it don't see it that way then they should not listen to me.
    One thing I should warn about (not saying it is in this case) beware of seeking ( not the right word) excuses. I saw this in the forum of PC2 a lot. Like the physics are that way, or this and that and they are correct, or it is the set up, .... Or that is the way in real life. While it wasn't. Imo we have to be honest and be very critical.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Split Second

Yeah but it happens in too many cars and too extreme imo. Like in a group c.

14. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Your problem/decision. As a matter of fact cars are sitting on suspensions and tires which are both bottom line springs in all 3D directions. The fact that some other sims ignore the tires flex component and provide a very rigid experience doesn't make them more right. It's enough to drive any sizeable car to realize that. FYI in the current 13" wheels setup, a F1 tire is eating almost as much deflection as the suspensions themselves, talking about flex...

We are all here to speak freely. I believe you state your opinions in good faith and you should believe others do the same. For the reason I already explained I don't believe physically correct the fact that turning a steering wheel on a straight should deliver immediately 1 ton of FFB with no physical reason just because people are used to that from other sims or a huge amount of weight transfer where the weight transfer has very little reason to occur or even can't occur. Those are not measures of "feeling connected", they are just drugged FFB engineering IMHO.
    Talking of twisting, you scrambled to attack someone on the basis of the (respectable) comment from someone who is not driving the sim, so...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

The connected / disconnected / floaty thing must have all to do with perception. I find an inherent lack of inflated-rubber-meets-track connection in traditional tire model sims after iRacing, PC2 and AMS2. I don't really call it anything, it just doesn't feel like I'm driving a car on a track. Like it's always either fully connected or not at all. Mind you my only real life track experience is in a rental kart which isn't really worth much. But I do know that tire adhesion and connection is a complicated feeling.

I'm not saying this to defend AMS2 in this particular case, but remember that when you look at footage or even play the game yourself that mileage varies from person to person. Someone might perceive the sum of feedback from the game (visual, audio, tactile) completely different. In fact I tried another wheel base with AMS2 and it felt way less connected than with my own wheel. That doesn't mean that the physics aren't there or that it's a shared experience.

Regarding wheel cocking, just wait until we get the Super Trucks (if we get them) :D. Of course that's an extreme example.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Coanda

what do you mean matey Supercars get air all the time.. :p

I've seen that video too.. Dunno man I haven't had any wierdo moments like that. Maybe they changed something or maybe I haven't driven iR enough as I mainly drive AMS2. I'm no iRacing fan boy either and I only gave it a go late last year after 10+ years of umming and ahing about it. I know I mentioned it here however I don't like to reference other developers on this forum. I wasn't sh!ting on Reiza; they know I love what they do..

Gotchya.. I know they also use drop gear ratios instead..

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Spot on. Honestly, PC2 bashing just became a thing, for some reason people really took a dislike to Ian Bell’s verbose communication style (personally, I think he’s ok). I would bet a large sum of money that a lot of the OTT PC2 / SMS haters don’t have much time with PC2. The internet is (as we all know) an echo chamber, and PC2 bashing just became a thing that a lot of sim racers do.

BTW Crimson, I was in an online race with you last Sunday afternoon, 30mins at old Spa (I think it was in the Omega but I’m not sure), we were about 22mins in and you were leading, I was third. One of the back markers must have crashed as he was off track. As I went to pass him, he totally intentionally took me out (100% sure of this, he rammed me for fun). He broke my car. God I was p!ssed off. Just saying this, because quitters can be quite annoying in such races, but I had to quit due to the damage. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CrimsonEminence

Maybe there is something to it, maybe not.
    These cars have an ~2mm aluminum monocoque, the 962 even had problems with stiffness, and the C9 has even parts of the engine being part of the chassis, if i'm not wrong here, and they're still sitting on flexible tyres and suspension. Most (older) cars actually lift their front corner inside tires a bit, especially on throttle and out of lower speed corners, out of faster speed corners, it's probably more unusual.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. CrimsonEminence

I had in AMS2, actually. The SuperV8 was grip rolling a lot in the beginning, especially, when hitting higher kerbs :D
    Oh, the AMS-Freunde Race, we are racing every sunday, similar time...shameless plug. :D
    Can you remember the username, btw.?

20. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I heard that they've fixed that rolling issue since every race driver and their dog joined iRacing last spring. Not sure and no source for this. Just saying, cause it would explain your experience.

• Informative Informative x 2