1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.2.0 RELEASED - Now updated to v1.1.2.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

Fair enough. But to be honest I have not seen it in any real-life video. But it is possible. But these things you are saying are things I heard of many things in the PC2 forum. And I think everyone agrees that the physics of PC2 was sometimes off.
    One question. If you look at real-life videos, you clearly see that all the cars are connected to the road, I also haven't seen such chassis movement in a real-life group c car (yes in some old race cars). In your opinion, if you would overlay the car in AMS2 and that of real-life footage. Must they be the same in behaviour or must there be a difference and why?

2. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

1200+ hours in ACC I needed a change so I tried iR and R3R.. I first trialed a month. There is many things to like however AMS2 has my attention. I don't race a lot now; busy with a kid bla bla bla..

3. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I might try to join you again then, I was having fun! I can’t remember his name. I had a tiny hope that you might say you had the replay. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Thanks for the lecturing.
    When I see someone answering a guy and at the same time insinuating that this guy has expectations that he in no way has expressed then I call it twisting another persons words.
    OK?
    Just re-read your own insinuating answer - instead of outpouring something about "good faith" and "believing in others" - and what have we.
    ByTheWay: Hiding insinuations behind conditional sentences (if-then) doesnt make twisting others words any better.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Of course, but this is true of all sims. The "what is not there" changes. That PC2 has problems in one place - in particular the driveline and tires - does not mean that its handling of weight, suspension and chassis is wrong. It's incorrect to assume that, because one thing is wrong, everything else must also be off. Or similarly it's wrong to assume that if another sim gets its car handling just right through simplification, it must include all the correct phenomenon too.

Nascar at Daytona 2008 which I happened to have from the old days: :eek:

Also Skippy is not a Formula Vee, but I like them for similar reasons. Just proper bangers that rotate all day long. This with a lot of road noise and randomness each lap so you're trusting seat of the pants feel. Lots to like and reminds me of something :D

While we're at it, I was in an SRS F-Trainer race with you I think. It was at Spielberg. Though you had some bad luck with your suspension or maybe a backmarker if I recall correctly.

6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Physics of PC2 aren't that far off, like always sung. They're wrong for several cars, because of several reasons and generic creation, but not "broken". Cars often have too much grip and very optimistic slip angles, leading to drift-style driving to achieve fast laptimes. (Also most cars acted like a spool, AMS2 also here improved the whole deal, even if it has still some outliers under the hood)
    Group C cars are usually more settled due to their aero, of course, but i also can't recall them sliding like an Opala Stock Car in AMS2.
    There will always be a difference. Racing simulators are an approximation to the real deal and will always feature quirks. Things can improve and get closer to what it should look like. I don't know any sim, not even AMS1, which is my favourite in the look of cars on trackside, that does it spot-on.

But in general: If you think, race cars are "connected to the road", watch this and enjoy. :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed. AC/ACC/R3E are fine games, but the feeling of rubber to road is not there for me. It feels like you're driving a brick that occasionally slides across the road and bounces around a bit. Maybe that's accurate for high-powered GT cars with hard slicks on a dry track, but not for other types of cars.

AMS1 is the "odd man out" because there I can feel more of a connection, but it feels surreal and completely exaggerated. I understand why people love it so much, but I also don't think it should be automatically the gold standard for how cars in AMS2 should feel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

Yes, i've actually found it right now, uploading it, you will receive the link via PM. :D

9. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I especially like the see-saw wheel motion the Cortina driver does through sweepers. Try that in some other sims known for their "great front-end feel"...

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Coanda

Regarding the Super V8. The down shift rev matching needs a little work. You can grab any gear without blipping..

11. Split Second

Great post. This is the first video I saw where I also see the somewhat (but not as extreme as in the sim) of that floaty feeling. But doesn't this strengthen my case if you look what cars they are racing here with such a great tendency to rolling?

12. CrimsonEminence

You can do that in the Power&Glory mod actually. If you have GTR2, it might be a bit fiddling with settings, but P&G still a pretty good almost-standalone-game.

To be honest, it's also doable in AC. The 250 Ferrari is an extremely well and believable behaving vintage car there. (Think, it's in the Red-Pack)

Do you have autoclutch on? Have driven the SuperV8 right now and it needs downshift blips.

13. CrimsonEminence

Yes, it's also a case of where the camera is placed and note, how good the factor between seat and pedals is.
    I don't know, which videos you have seen from Group C cars in AMS2, that seem extraordinary floaty or roll-ish to you, but i can't recall such behaviour. I can record something maybe, have to see, quality will not be amazing...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Coanda

Not anymore pal..

With my settings that align with GT3 steering force it's more closer to 140-150% vehicle gain to get the Super V8 at 20 Nm 1:1 and with what iR reports through motec & feels like at the wheel. I have not had to do this with any other vehicle which makes me think something is not quite right..

15. Coanda

nah thats for pussies.. :eek::p

... it just seems to slip into gear a little too easily..

16. CrimsonEminence

17. CrimsonEminence

The gear applies safely, but you will experience shift-lock.

18. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I could be wrong (I’m getting old!), but I think I had to re-fuel (I think I miss calculated!!). Schoolboy error!

I remember the Virginia race a back marker (under blue flag) crashed me into a wall and broke my suspension, but I’m fairly sure that was net code related (although he wasn’t adhering to the blue flag very well). Had to limp the car home, and got my first incident point too. Those cars are such good fun though. :)

Shameless plug 2: EU SRS leagues for AMS2 start again this weekend.. can’t wait.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Coanda

Can you please educate me..?

I only know this term in automatics..

20. Split Second

I shall post a video again if I see it. Ok?