1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.1.4.0 RELEASED - Now Updated to v1.1.4.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

In all my time reading about motor racing, I've never heard of a flat 12 being referred to as anything other than a flat 12, so I am completely unsurprised that it has no letter designation. The only alternative I know of is calling it a boxer, but that involves specific cylinder timing. I'm probably stating the obvious here, but the letter designation is intended to describe how the engine appears, which means that V, I, H and X all make sense, and this probably is the reason for the lack of a letter designation for the flat configuration.

It's interesting that when you start getting into the semantic differences of firing order, crank designs, etc., then you start to realise some of the limitations of the pigeon holes we try to place designs within. (Is a flat engine just a V engine with a 180 degree angle? Is an inline engine just a V engine with a zero degree angle?)

I'm not sure why you think the H designation (the true one, not yours) is obscure or discredited.

Anyway, as much fun as talking about this is, what I'm trying to explain is that arbitrarily deciding that H makes sense for flat configurations is just plain confusing and goes against the grain of how engine configurations have historically been described.

2. Andrew Hollom

I remember the (well described) "lumpy bumpy" sound of those cars too, but it was only present in the pit lane and it didn't depend on whether the limiter was on or off, so the lumpy bumpy sound automatically went away after the pit limit line was passed, even if you didn't release the limiter (I raised a bug for this). Perhaps it's gone because it was the easiest way of fixing it, but I hope they bring the sound back, but only use it when the pit limiter is on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Andrew Hollom

I'll need to do some Googling, but from memory of it at the time, I recall it would suck itself down to the ground even when stationary and the engine revved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree so much!! The immersion with this sound itself was nice, so connecting it to pit limiter activation would be a great addition!

5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

From Renato post #1 of this thread.
    "the fan in the BT46B would blow faster as the engine revved up, and as it did it would suck the air from underneath the car, generating astronomical levels of downforce in the process".

6. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. CrimsonEminence

In germany actually yes. :D Because we call it V-Motor mit 180° Bankwinkel (even the german Wikipedia page rightfully describes the BT46 engine with this term, to not confuse it with a Boxer engine.)

For general information, so people are not starting the big engine semantics war:
    Boxer on top, V-180°/Flat/H(not really) at the bottom (also from the german Wiki page, btw., graphic might need a short time to load in the forums here)
    [​IMG]
    :whistle:
    I didn't know the term H engine, actually. But it's the comparable concept to the V-180°, so it's indeed semantics. EDIT: no, i'm not totally right here, proven further down in this thread. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Apex

Apex Active Member

I dunno - I can't seem to get rid of the pit lane speed warning even with all hud elements disabled.

9. Andrew Hollom

Since you had a lovely graphic of two different flat configurations, here's one for the H configuration (which unfortunately doesn't show the two cranks connected):
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. AndreiC

AndreiC Active Member AMS2 Club Member

A few really interesting videos about the Brabham Fan car that include also interviews with G Murray and a really cool 3d rendition of the car in the italian video that I think will answer your questions:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Andrew Hollom

I did some searching to see if I could find a source for the car moving vertically when revved and stationary, but couldn't find anything. I think I may have read it in Mario Andretti's biography many years ago (1979 or 1980), hence why it's a bit of a distant memory.

I did find that there was a system of clutches between then fan and engine, as there was concern about the flywheel effect of the fan interfering with gear changes, which turned out to be unfounded.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Andrew Hollom

It's hard to verify the validity of what you read, as there is much reference to it being banned, but Gordon Murray is adamant that it was never banned, just withdrawn to keep FOCA united. However, people still seem keen to perpetuate this lie.

13. CrimsonEminence

Yeah, that's the semantics part, i meant. In german it's differentiated between Boxer and the Flat/H/V-180°. (So a flat engine is not a Boxer which is exactly because of these confusions)
    EDIT: Yes your graphic indeed shows a full H-config! Confused it with two V-180° above each other (what it is basically) :D

14. Andrew Hollom

If we're lucky enough that Reiza gives us the Lotus 43 and/or the BRM P83/P115, then we'll have to use the term H16 in its proper sense, i.e. two flat 8 engines mated back to back with interconnected cranks, rather than using it to describe the simple flat configuration.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Andrew Hollom

I don't think it's confusing, or it shouldn't be. The boxer engine is from the flat engine family, just with a specific firing order, which is what makes it a boxer.

16. CrimsonEminence

I have edited my post, ran into some confusion about your graphic.

You are totally right. :) The Boxer is from the flat family. In english, some car descriptions (Porsche easiest example) say "flat" but not more specific, what it certainly could need.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Andrew Hollom

Here's a better picture of an H configuration engine that shows the cranks connected:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

changing liveries should have no negative effect (if you do not have liveries twice in your mod), because the system for bringing them into game meanwhile is provided by reiza itself.

19. CrimsonEminence

Try Interlagos, Spa, Kyalami, Silverstone and Kansai. They will also still have weaknesses, of course, but should deliver a more consistent experience. Interlagos is IMO the most spot-on of them in AI usefulness. There will be certainly other tracks that are quite good, but don't want to make wrong statements. :D

• Informative Informative x 3
  20. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

If you don´t own the game and don´t drive it yourself, then you simply have no business flooding the forum with comments on physics quality of lack thereof.. This is frankly just such elementary common sense that I don´t understand it actually has to be said - take it as a friendly warning, we always welcome constructive criticism but there´s just something very odd about having tens of comments on physics on every release topic from someone that doesn´t even experience it himself.

Physics in sim racing is always a controversial topic - no matter the sim and how serious it is about its physics development, there will always be a group of people defending it to the death for its qualities (real or perceived), and another group criticizing it for its flaws (real or perceived). Again these discussions are welcome, and several actual flaws have been diagnosed with the help of feedback we have gathered from the forum, and many have since been rectified or at least largely minimised.

AMS2 still has its quirks and likely will always have, as does any and all racing sims - and while we remain commited to continuously working on addressing verifiable issues as evident by every release changelog, we are overall very satisfied with the driving experience in AMS2 as it is today. No sim has this ellusive consensus of sim racing perfection - no matter how much forum poster X or youtuber Z may swear by it. It is perfectly fine if one finds AMS2 quirks makes it more unsatisfactory to him/her than other sims, and it´s perfectly fine if you don´t play it because of that; so long as you accept some people feel differently, and that one´s personal opinion and conjecturing doesn´t make him an expert on the topic. If you find yourself being repetitive on the forum with little sign of finding rapport from the devs or its userbase at large, it´s probably best to spend your time with something else :)

• Agree x 26
    • Like x 10
    • Winner x 7
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.