1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.0.0 & Racin´ USA Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.2.1.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

And it also mostly simulates made up cars, with no true real world counterpart to compare to. So that says everything in terms of what your expectation of a 'real simulation' is. I like beamNG as a sandbox and have driven the Nords mod, but come on, it's cool but it's missing a ton of stuff to be considered a reference.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 7
  2. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Also, btw, tire temps and wear aren't even simulated in BeamNG... I guess it's a ****ty simcade too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Who said it needed to be bad. The point is you can simply tune in what you’re whining about.

This whole cry for attention thing you’re doing is embarrassing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. steelreserv

No tire temps? Lol seriously.

Sounds about right for the self proclaimed physics experts to fawn over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

A two-minute drive of beamNG will reveal lots. I have been an early supporter of it and it has so many unique and amazing features compared to other titles. However, as a car handling sim it is a joke. Even the destruction physics are far from realistic in many instances, but the details of it are mesmerizing and entertaining.

Anyone who thinks beamNG is a remotely accurate motorsports (i.e., racing car) simulator must think Wreckfest is the benchmark for physics. Another amazing game that isn't even attempting to accurately model the dynamics of a vehicle on a road/track. If they did, it wouldn't be a quarter of the fun that it is. It's a fantasy and I thought anyone playing it would know that. beamNG is the same. Fantasy, with just enough connection to real world physics to make it somewhat interesting for people who have driven a real car. The classic definition of simcade in our context.

So I have to agree with posts above that the promoters of these titles as substitutes for AMS 2 (as opposed to as good games in their own right) have eliminated any of their credibility regarding the types of physics and set-ups discussions we try to have in this forum.

AMS 2 physics is constantly being massaged to bring-out more realism. Reiza has admitted that in this process there will be side-steps and even the occasional temporary backward step. So think about that when proclaiming the physics as being GOAT or complete crap.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

And just to note, I don't think that AMS2 is perfect by any means. It lacks polish in many areas, and car quality and behavior is still inconsistent. But it keeps improving in every area with every release, and even though I didn't enjoy it all on release, it is now my main played sim because it is fun to drive (without being frustrating or too easy) and it runs and looks fantastic (specially in VR).
    I don't understand what people are trying to compare AMS2 when they say it's simcade. AC? Love AC, but it's tire model is a bit outdated, and a lot of the content is only as good as the mods you can get, and AI is so so. ACC? Fantastic physics, decent AI and great presentation, but limited in scope and has a terrible vr implementation. IRacing? Questionable physics and business model. RFactor 2? Great force feedback and nice (but expensive) recent content, but a ton of terrible/outdated content and completely broken ui and AI (unless you spend hundreds of hours tweaking it). Raceroom? Decent AI, fantastic sound good ffb (after the latest update), but horrible graphics and very questionable physics. What all of the above have on AMS2 is vastly superior multiplayer implementations (except rfactor 2 maybe), but other than that AMS2 now compares very favorably to all of these in many areas.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

8. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Physics is good enough to be fun and challenging. Are they realistic? I've no idea. Do they feel realistic? I've no idea. Does it have space for improvement? Definitely.

So I believe physics is not the real issue with AMS2 atm. In fact, in my opinion there are two major problems that frustrate me:
    • the MP overall (lack of features, funky behaviour, etc); and
    • the AI not overtaking each other when they clearly could and should do so, making groups of glued together cars. Also, it is extremely blatant that the AI does not follow the same physics rules from the player. While we know it runs on simplified physics, it should not look or feel like that. Otherwise, it makes (imho) the AI just as bad as the other titles. Yes, including train-like ACC or the crashfest from bad mods in AC.
    Which makes both online and offline boring experiences to me, and that in itself means there is no reason for me to boot up AMS2 :(
    Both of the issues mentioned above are being worked by Reiza, yes, but at a very slow pace compared to the other not-so-relevant (imho) features, such as content addition, foliage, setup tuning, etc. Yeah, I'm aware of dev pipelines do not overlap and so on, and I'm also aware of the huge challenges these two features are to the team. Should the art team stand still until the network team work out hosting features? Definitely not.
    Even though I'm aware of all of that, from the user pov it is still kind of frustrating and, I've to say it, a little bit disappointing.
    By version 3.5.5 they may have it all sorted out though, and slowly the game is walking towards that. Just hope the tiny user base has enough breath til then.

9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Second point is indeed annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

I have to admit that I never played AMS1. No VR was always a non starter for me, although I've read there is a mod somewhere.

11. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Good thing is that those 2 valid points are being worked on.

12. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Well, we are here and invested in AMS2 because we have faith it will turn out good in the end... whenever that might be. It even took DiRT Rally 2,5 Years to be good, and CM initially never intended such a long support phase.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The advantage of this continuous lightspeed developing cycle is, that things get added the whole time and polished to work better (some things faster than others by nature of course). So stuff doesn't become boring and you always have something to look forward to. The extremely small playerbase of AMS1 also had no problems to breath more simulated rubber and fuel soaked air, i want to remind. :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  14. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

Maybe you can show this in one of your videos. I just tried it with the Porsche GT3 and it didn’t work. Made your suggested changes, floored it with wheel fully turned through turns 1-3 at Nurburgring Veedol and still can’t get the car to spin. It was rotating a bit better than under default though.

15. steelreserv

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Manohy

Manohy Member

The issue of AMS2 leading to this huge confusion ? Even if the sky color was green, there will be someone from its community that will try to prove that "green" is an acceptable sky color. The community is small but has tendency to want to defy the world like Chuck Norris. I am curious to see where this will lead. Some signs already show part of the future but only time will confirm.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. CrimsonEminence

The topic was about GT3 cars not able to spin, now literally seeing a GT3 car spin a lot :D

Of course there are always also people, that want you to convince, that some BS is the truth. It's the Internetz (and nothing AMS2 exclusive).
    (DISCLAIMER: I don't mean participants in this thread, this is a general comment about the internet being the internet)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Manohy

Manohy Member

It's a bit ironic that the GT3/GT4 cars supposed to give the sim more exposure and attraction are becoming the most criticized content of the sim. They are also dividing the AMS2 community day after day.
    The fastest way to calm people is making the cars spinning the right way ;) . It's as simple as that

19. CrimsonEminence

Yes, that's the argument, that takes always place, when prove is delivered.^^

EDIT: wait...you mean they "aren't spinning the right way" now? Okay... :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member