1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.0.0 & Racin´ USA Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.2.1.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

It just seems that someone says something like "tyres have too much longitudinal grip", which is followed by a "how do you substantiate such a claim?", followed by "Reiza know this and are looking into it", yet the initial statement and/or the person who made it continues to be ridiculed. It just seems the defence (of the game) is quick to act and harsh with it, especially when it comes to light that it is apparently a known (by Reiza) problem being looked into. I would hope that some correlation to real life has been conducted, which I know is difficult with all the variables present, but the stopwatch never lies, so I'd like to think it's telling us something close to the truth. Since none of us know each other, and so don't know anything about the experience or knowledge of others, it seems that some of the "elder statesmen", "self appointed experts", or whatever you want to call them, of this forum are keen to put people down because of something vague like "a strange feeling", and I've read comments from these so-say experts that also talk in vague subjective terms. Even real racing drivers talk about vague subjective things, and it's up the their race engineer to make sense of them, so lets stop this putting down of communication just because we don't have the telemetry or real-world data to back it up.

I've been trying to love AMS2 for a while now, and it is getting easier as it improves. I know a lot about rFactor 2 and its many faults. Even with its 'world leading' tyre model, I would hazard a guess that some of its exploits would disappear if they modelled the contact patch better (it can't be modelled too well, as it lacks camber thrust (which could explain the camber and ARB exploits) and grip seems proportional to contact patch size (which could explain the low tyre pressure exploit)). It's quirks drive me nuts because I race with it quite seriously, and I hope some competition makes them improve it.

Finally, a lot of us don't think AMS2 is doomed, or has an unrecoverable fault due to its use of the Madness engine, so I don't think people are taking pot shots at AMS2 just for fun, I think most here want it to be their 'go to' sim.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I overall agree with your statement.
    One thing tho:
    Sim laptimes can vary to IRL laptimes quite a lot. Just a different live track preset can already cause huge discrepancies...one of many reasons of course. Sometimes the stopwatch can also expose some issues, but it's not the most reliable tool.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

Agreed, and this is true in real life too, like as the track gets rubbered or even when the sun comes out, the lap times change. I was just using the old adage (they had no data back in the day other than a stop watch) was that if the stop watch says it's faster, then it is, irrespective of how it felt. I was just hoping that our stop watch tells us a broadly similar thing to the real life stop watch with similar conditions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

The problem with setups is they are so subjective. While I applaud steelreservs efforts and think they are a good step, I personally find the ones Ive tried a bit understeery for the style of driving I like to use. Not an issue and I can totally see how they are very stable for the new entrant to the title, but one persons honey is another persons lemon.
    His videos on the hows of setting up a car are absolutely superb!! I can watch those all day long :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. nemesis

nemesis Member

The setups from steel are made as a good starting point and putting the car in the right direction and with very little changes you can have the car performing immensely.
    We done this for some of my league events.
    All setups will have to be altered to suit that given persons style and my setup probably wouldn’t suit you and so on.
    Remembering this game differs in terms of setup adaptability(unlike some games cough cough) one setup won’t be suited to every circuit just like it wouldn’t be IRL
    The most important thing is that the base your using are far closer to max performance than the ones given to you via the base game.
    We covered this topic on his latest podcast definitely worth a listen if haven’t already done so

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Yeah I saw that podcast and was going to give it a listen. I'd forgotten so glad you reminded me :) Absolutely concur re his setups being a better first point of call. Certainly a much better 'first impression' as they say..
    But while agreeing that, I do think that his How To series are much more valuable in the long term. Certainly they helped me. Whats it they say- give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod etc etc. (I always feel like finishing that one of with "and he'll smash you in the face with it demanding more free fish".. but thats another story..)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with everything here. There’s also a category of “moral arbiters” who I think we all can agree are most important because they make sure that everyone has the right to their opinions regardless of the circumstance. Its vital to every public forum that although facts, experience and effort have their place, its vastly more important everyone has their say. Without these patient, reasonable and more importantly, constant reminders, (and their defenders!) the powers that can implement change may indeed just simply forget. I shudder to think where AMS2 would be without them.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. sk8

sk8 Member

When did the Lotus 49c get so good?? I hadn't tried it for a while and decided to go for a spin. I made some adjustments to ARB, wing, LSD and tire pressures and the car is spectacular. The big thing is I can mount curbs at Nordschleife without the 'weird bounce' some of the other cars have. Also the tail gets twitchy going over the hill before T1 at Laguna Seca. As it should. The grip feels right. Rear tires get a bit too hot from driving hard and become slippy(due to fun set up). So excited to see further developments!
    Too much fun!

:hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Racing against AI is still kind of a chore. There are corners where I gain half a second (like Oak Tree on VIR in an F3), and then there are places where they make up a whole second in comparison to me (like the exit of "Roller Coaster", or from "Left Hook" to "Snake"). Doesn't feel like a race at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Hi Dicra, yes I think so at some tracks, devs are still looking at specifics. (thread below)
    We ran GT1 vs GTE with AI online Spa Historic last night, and while the GTE were snapping at heels of GT1 top runners p2/3/ they were slow out of T1 Down to Aeu Rouge and were inadvertently set to 117/90 instead of 112/90. so this slowness was noticeable when fast on rest of track. (Grats to @muz_j )
    It will be reported in the correct thread #1 later today when I have more time.
    Sidenote Sometimes when reading and somebody mentions a track, I think hell forgot about that one so ought to try again, like VIR, Such choices to have:)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CrimsonEminence

I agree, that these differences between sectors are still really common on many tracks. Like Maser mentioned, the Official AI Report Topic is the best location to report these discrepancies, which otherwise could get lost in the stream of posts here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is there any track where there is no discrepancies?

This issue, afaik, is generalized. If Reiza has to work and tweak AI on track+class+weather case by case, it will take forever. We are talking about 120+ cars, 50+ tracks and 10+ weather settings lol

13. CrimsonEminence

All tracks feature them to one or another extend. The bigger discrepancies are, what can ruin a race indeed (When there is a place on a track, where AI gains or loses time in seconds or close to seconds, rather than tenths, it's definetly worth reporting. So even Interlagos as an example for a well calibrated track here has often a bit slow cars through the tighter sector 2 section still.

Luckily, there are ways to isolate, if something is a track, class, weather or all together issue. So for example having classes fleshed out and then discovering tracks in comparison with working examples will limit the excessive nature of this definetly pretty huge number of possibilities.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What annoys me more is AI that are painfully slow on straights (e.g. Daytona and Spa), or that get surreal speed boosts out of corners. The former forces the player to run unrealistically high AI strengths just to make them competitive, and the latter then makes the AI ram the player on corner exits. A great recipe for those "AMS2 has terrible AI" -videos that we all love to see. Not to mention my pet peeve, the AI hitting the brakes when crossing the S/F line at Curitiba.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think you nailed it. Would only add their inability to overtake each other when the chasing AI has the speed and the gap available.

16. Dicra

Exactly what I found as well. This also often leads to them making bull**** moves into corners where there normally isn't any overtaking.

@CrimsonEminence Did what you told me and summarised the issues here.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

This hitting the brakes at the S/F line is an old issue that dates back to AIW files in rF. I wonder if we could compile a list of the tracks in AMS 2 where it happens as I suspect the fix will be the same for all of them.

18. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

I would very much appreciate a screenshot of the setup, like incredibly much...:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dicra

As it fits latest developments, and as the game already has a lot of F1 cars: Will there be a rendition of the 2022 F1 car generation in AMS2? Would be quite exciting to be able to drive that one "in advance".

• Like Like x 1
  20. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Since the real weather and competent AI is the market AMS2 carved for itself now it is natural to want save some spectacular dates and race configuration as favorite for having fun over and over again.
    I just dont want to memorize date and time for those eyecandy views and good competition that AI is rather good for that track/car combo.
    In short: Could you please put a favorites tab in single race section?
    It was in the PC2 yes so maybe you can uncomment those lines :p

• Like Like x 4