1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.2.0 RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You are not alone... I also belong to the group that would like to race something else from GT3s...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It seems like even DTM went full GT3. I've never followed the DTM scene, but Youtube has recommended me DTM livestreams lately and people on the chat are constantly saying that DTM became just another GT3 category...

GT3 is killing motorsports!!! :eek::eek::p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

GT3's are just that easy to drive. Flick some TC on, ABS on, and some other stuff. No clutch, no nothing. Just throttle and brake. Its easy. Those drivers want maximal power with maximal grip with less effort aka exhaustion. Able to set fast times lap after lap without slipping or crashing. Imagine racing a Caterham 620r for 40 minutes. You will be soaked in sweat and the car will wear fast. GT3/GTE can be a fun, tho. but I believe beginner and casuals should race a few 100s of hours in F-trainers, Caterhams, Mini Modern and all that before they go GT, Formula and all that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I have to add that despite this, there seems to still be a skill gap between one lap pace GT3 driving and racing. I still see too many quick people spinning out and quitting lobbies in GT3.

Don't get me wrong though, I love podiums. gifted or otherwise....

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Marius H

@steelreserv Don't forget those hotlappers setting great times in Q, but can't race. :D:D:D

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I hardly ever play online, but judging by the comments I'm guessing if I make a lobby with Formula Classic Gen 3, rain, no aids allowed, and full damage nobody will join. Is that right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Marius H

Yep

8. sgsfabiano

Unfortunately, yes. Even if it was clear weather, aids allowed, no damage, it would be unlikely to get a good grid. People only race GT3/GTE.

Brazilians do some Stock Car, though, which isn't as fun as any open wheel, but certainly much more enjoyable than GT3/GTE imho

9. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't get when there's a gazzilion of GT3/GTE lobbies and people keep adding even more GTE/GT3 lobbies, dilluting the existing pool of users.

I prefer variety so I can join whatever I feel the need for, not "which track I'll race in GT3/GTE. There's hardly any love for GT4 which are much more fun if someone prefers modern GT machinery...

No wonder why not enough people are racing online if there are no lobbies for connoiseurs :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

There seems to be a disconnect here. People drive GT3s and GTEs because they are accessible and for the illusion that they are good in them.

Public lobbies arent the place for unique cars and track conditions that ultimately lead to bad racing, carnage and drop outs.

Many people dont have time to practice Form Gen 3s, let alone at an unfamiliar track in the rain. Best organize a group or league for that.

The most popular lobbies in the future will be…GT3/GTE 10min prac, 10 min qually, 6-8 lap race, dry conditions, maaaybe a mandatory pit stop for flavor. Quick sprints to build rating. To have bit of fun before the wife gets mad.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Marius H

Had a bit of fun tonight. Like @steelreserv summed it in his last paragraph. Lots of 10/10/6-lobbies. Had some fun with Vee's, Stocks, GT1, etc. Good 1.5 hour,. (Humidity is too high at thje moment, so imma soaked)

By the way I saw some other lobbies with 2 hour P, 20Q and 35m race, and some similar. I think lots of publics would love to join such a lobby, but 2 hours P is a bit too much. Heck, I saw even 1 hour P with 6 laps race-lobby, haha.

I think Renato mentioned somewhere they want to host regular / scheduled races like iRacing does or so. That would be totally fine. Imagine 30Q, 20P and a 20/40R (depends on class) and people can attend every 2 hours or so. That would be cool.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  12. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Raceroom has all kinds of non GT3 servers that are well populated. iRacing is not dominated by GT3. There's a lot more to sim racing than ACC. If you include the F1 game, far more people race that online than GT3 in ACC.

Might be better to view the choices people make as their votes for what the best executed cars are in AMS2. Stock cars and GTE are at the top of the heap there. People will also do online what they have a good single player experience with. And that falls again on those three classes being the best in AMS2.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I dont think you can make this kind of conclusion.
    But you are allowed to :)
    Because how can you then explain this overwelming preferance for GT3 cars on most MP servers in (almost) all different racing games?
    Hehe except maybe F1 2021 :D

My own explanation is that virtual GT3 cars are very easy to drive without much practice - and (urgent) because in RL races this class is one of the most watched worldwide.
    Both on TV and as spectator on tracks.;)

ByTheWay: It is further also allowed both in RL and virtual to bang doors to a certain extent.
    Which is not allowed for as example open wheelers.

14. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The rules tolerante unintentional contact beetwen cars, that does not mean it's banger racing and you get away with using it as a strategy.

15. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I used the term "bang doors" (should maybe have been "banging doors" ;) ) because I didnt want to go into a deeper description of the obvious fact that in RL drivers are (lets say) reasonably relaxed if they have to "change paint" with the driver next door.:D
    Im not talking about kinda demolision derby but Im saying that in tintop classes as GT3 then its common that drivers dont get any penalities (whatsoever) if it is even more than paint that is changed.

ByTheWay: And the discussion in/unintentional banging doors is not something that can be solved in this forum.;)

16. sgsfabiano

Formula Vee, Formula 3 and Formula Trainer, for example, are some of best classes in AMS2 imo, if not the best. Yet we rarely see a lobby with any of the three.

I believe the preference is not because of quality or difficulty to drive, but simply personal taste. In general people might see the GT3 as their dream luxury/sports car, something they would like to have in their garage but can't.

Since this whole convo about GT3 is likely my fault, I would like to point out that there is absolutely nothing wrong with people liking that class. I was just moaning that it is hard for me to find lobbies online with combos that I enjoy, and when I create my own lobby with any open wheel+famous track+clear weather, it simply doesn't fill up with people, unfortunately.

Nothing really can be done about this misfortune of mine, so it is what it is and thats okay.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

That brings up memories from the DTM in the early 1990's when the term "knocking on the door" was quiet often used and practiced ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Ettore

Those are lobbies deployed by people who are practicing for a league event.. I often set up stuff like that and so do the leagues I have been in. The purpose is practicing to develop setups not actually racing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Ettore

It's not actually completely correct: in iracing the vast majority of people race GT3/GTE category and if they feel bold they race LMP2s (in the same race). All other road classes are three steps (or more) down in terms of participation and often do not go official. Then there is the whole Nascar/Oval world but that is people who are mostly never racing on road courses

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. leggy2fast

leggy2fast Artist and amateur racer!

From what I see from the comments and the lobbies, the best thing I can think of right now is official reiza servers with races in specific conditions at set times. No need for complex matchmaking stuff, just populate the lobby with some 5 or 6 servers that run at given times with diversified rules. sprints, short endurances, GT, open wheel, classic, and so on.

I would legit love to see that in Time Trial too, a weekly thing. And like many others here said, I know it's a big ask but if Reiza promoted regular/weekly/monthly activites that would probably help with engagement a ton. Weekly screenshot showcase, a Monthly timetrial challenge, and so on. It's one of my favorite ways to play games like ACC and F1, where those seasonal challenges give me a chance to pick up and play, practice, compete in a very sane environment.

• Agree Agree x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.