1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.4.1 & Monza DLC RELEASED - Now updated to V1.2.5.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 2, 2021.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Any progress on Night driving (headlights) optimisations?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Could someone do me a favour if you have a minute and just test time trial mode @ Spa with the C9 or seemingly any car.

Restarting the session significantly affects frame rate and I'm having to restart multiple times to get it to come back. Not an issue I've experienced before and can't see anything on my side that would be causing an issue. All other modes seem to be unaffected.

Need a sanity check, its making me a bit loopy. o_O

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@chonk test all OK my end. Same frame rate every time a new session was started. Did 5 new sessions all the same for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Tried to reproduce with multiple ghosts on and without, restarting several times (also several reloadings fully from session main menu), always similar/same FPS and no stuttery image etc.

Sauber C9, Spa Modern, Time Trial.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

And that's the guy with the CPU that makes all other processors wet themselves in absolute terror, and a graphics solution most of us can(for the moment at least) only daydream about.:p
    As soon as: Dawn, dusk, dark, any semblance of headlights come into play, framerate=slashed in half!
    Used to think it was the rain, as well, but I find fps restores nicely with no more cars rendered in the scene.
    Suzu....Ehr, "Kansai" is very, very bad with this. Many objects, light sources? To the point where not even ASW/reprojection can mitigate things.

6. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

Want to ask for vr performance inspection of specific day time, speaking about evening with low sun and night time with headlight.

AMS2 shines so much in vr, weather is such a cool thing in AMS2, but the FPS drop … :rolleyes:o_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

If rains it drops...sounds legit lol :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Wayne Whitmore

Wayne Whitmore Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Definite improvement with AI not braking unnecessarily on fast turns. Goiania outer is a good example. ARC cars AI some what still slow from a standing start. 120 / 100. Human is last to 3rd by turn 1 and 1st by end of lap 1. AI qually time 0.5 seconds slow but overall laptime is OK. AI just drop off once passed then race themselves. Definite improvements since last build.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

No matter, how far the game might be polished further in the future in terms of performance, one thing should be absolutely clear, even for users with the beasts of a PC:

VR needs your PC to render the image twice at todays decent resolutions with long shadows and different light sources casting additional shadows in addition.

Of course FPS will drop. There is no magic (-ish) solution other than reducing your settings further if you want to drive with night/low sun and weather.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

This i know, and you are Right.. except the part with the „beast of pc“. :D I am not talking here high res like G2 of so. Its about even on my old rift, now quest.

its just that AMS2 was and is overall very resource friendly in vr.
    That was always a good thing. Just as pc2.
    The big difference between the two scenarios is the question.

11. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The Cup Porsches are far from perfect. Damper rebound is still not strong enough resulting in a bouncy behaviour of the rear... the well know and often critizised bounciness that once also plagued the GT3.R Porsche. Step 2 Dampers with Step 1 Spring is just a bit better but still off.

Currently all Cup Porsches drive like if they have worn out dampers. One can clearly see the oszillations when you brake to a stop, the rear is bouncing up and down a few times. This does in no way resemble the behaviour of even the most basic road model of a modern Porsche.

On top of that, the suspension setup menu is still broken when you switch from rates to units (Cayman GT4, CUP Porsche 4.0 + 3.8)

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. chonk

@Wayne Whitmore @CrimsonEminence

Thanks for checking that out for me, really appreciate it! It's a weird one. Hopefully the issue has magically resolved itself overnight and I can do back to being frustrated by just my driving.

13. uelas77

uelas77 Member

this happened for the first time yesterday, but trying a different thing, for me it wasn't in Time Trial. I just launched an AI race with Historic Interlagos and GT classics with the Bmw 2002, and had stutter and sync issues. So I tried immediately Historic Imola 70s with Formula Vintage 2, and same thing. Restarted AMS2, no more issues. Will try again other combos today and see if it happens again, but I'll guess they'll sort it out quickly. Never had in the past any drops at all, always stable fps. 3080, 5800x, 32Gb, 34" 3440x1440.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Corgan

Corgan New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello everyone.
    I don't post too many messages on this forum (obviously;)), but now I'm getting to the point where I can actually say, I really love this sim.
    I have only 21 hours in the game, because I didn't like how the FFB felt on my old G27, I didn't like th Ai, didn' like how the cars felt. But yesterday I tried Stakanov's custom FFB settings, tweaked it a little, and now, I only can say, wow! It feels great, I feel the "connection to the road", I can catch slides, no bouncing feel. Everything is almost perfect.
    So while I was there, I thought it was time to dig a bit deeper in the game, explore its features.
    What I have found: Ai is so much better than last time I tried, the weather system is pure magic, seasonal foliage is a very nice plus as well, the whole sim is a complete package for an offline player like me. Custom championship could be a little bit more complex, but for now, it is what it is, better than nothing.
    For me, the only missing feature, that would be important, is the Ai customization. Mainly the names. There are official series, for example Stock Car Brasil. You see the driver names on the cars, and you get these ever changing random names (no offence) as Ai drivers, and that is such an immersion killer, for me, at least, that I don't feel like racing with them at all. I know, everyone has wishes, priorities, but maybe I am not the only one with this. I know, this "feature" is from Project Cars, but still... Reiza has already done magical things to this sim, maybe they can once again?;) It would be great if Renato would have a couple of words on the subject. Or anyone who knows something.:)

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the ICM continuous adjustment change actually means?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

rates now change continiously when you hold the controller button, contrary to steps, where one button push changed one step only.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  17. chonk

@uelas77 Thank you, perhaps it's not just me then.

My system is not as strong as yours, 1080ti, 8600k @ 3440x1440 100hz. Normally handles AMS 2 without issue. Full grids, nighttime, rain etc. I haven't had an issue in races against AI, just in timetrial mode.

I will test more thoroughly today, need to rule out drivers, updates etc. and do an integrity check on this end. Interesting to see if it's a problem that occurs for anyone else or whether its just coincidental for us.

edit:
    Just downloaded the latest hotfix and the issue appears after some quick testing to have resolved itself.

edit 2:
    Game was not the issue, my power plan reset and the usb ports had reverted to power saving. Didn't realise it was an issue until I tested with and without the wheel plugged in.

18. Corgan

Corgan New Member AMS2 Club Member

One more thing would be great. If we can see the number of pitstalls per circuit.
    Until then, I made a simple chart that contains that, plus some additional information of the tracks (without the kart tracks). It can be useful for others, as well. There might be mistakes, but for now, that's it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. rafaelplacce

rafaelplacce Active Member AMS2 Club Member

interesting.

I wonder why Daytona only have 32 pits available.

20. R00bDriver

R00bDriver Member

That's good info.

Another thing I would like to know is which circuits have night lighting.
    Sometimes driving on a circuit without it can be a bit hairy!

BTW, I'm not saying you should do this, but it would be good if Reiza had some sort of filter option in the track list which would allow a player to filter the tracks based on their own requirements.

• Agree Agree x 1