1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.0.0 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.3.0.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Paulo Frazao

Paulo Frazao Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for sharing this... But i think we have not the same Game.... (joke)
    I think not all Classics are the on the same level i think Gen2 or Gen3 performed in an other way. But when you can share your camera settings i will testing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes yes! To @azaris you listen! :D
    [​IMG]
    LEGACY ON with small values of the head movement slider makes a lot of difference when it comes to car shaking.

3. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I was finally able to turn my first laps on AMS2's latest updates. Weapons of choice were all Formula Classic Gen 3 cars at Hockenheim 88, Formula Ultimate at Absolutely-Not-Monaco, and Cadillac DPi at Long Beach.

I'm very impressed with the new diff modelling, it made for some impressive behaviour powering out of corners. The one that stands out for me was the Ultimate, powering out into the tunnel at 2nd gear, the inside tyre would spin massively up to 4th gear, but the car would keep pointed to where it should. While it's absolutely not what should happen on a competitive scheme, it was so cool to see how physics were working beneath the car, and everything keeping some sort of harmony without hell breaking loose and car spinning into the wall hopelessly.

But I think I now understand why many people complain about AMS2 physics: default setups are more often than not simply not right. I know that many values in a setup are down to adjustments and preferences of each driver. But every single car I tried came with the wrong spring rates at each corner. All cars I tested were mid engined, and with weight distributions on the region of 43/57. There is no way in hell that front springs should be stiffer than the rear ones. With the Gen 3 cars I always changed them before my first go, and they worked more or less well (except maybe the V12 car, where I tried the same spring values as the V8 and V10, and ended up bottoming out quite a bit before reaching the first chicane at Hockenheim). But with the Ultimate I tried not touching a thing, and it had massive understeer at several points, specially at the slow hairpin where I would always have troubles navigating through it.

OTOH the Cadillac DPi, which again I didn't touch a thing from default setup, had same spring rates at all corners, and over the bumps the behaviour was more oversteerish, fighting the wheel at most places. Maybe this car has a more 50/50 distribution, or other values at default are more geared towards oversteer, I don't know. It was more fun to drive, and again I could feel the diff working and helping to control the car when powering out. The snap behaviour in these circumstances is now gone, and I can do nothing but applaud the job Reiza has done at it.

But the default setups are a problem. This is a guesstimate, but I feel that for every simracer like me who likes giving a look at the setup pages and tweaking stuff, there are at least another 5 ones who DGAF about the virtual wrench and just want to throw a car around the track. And for those, the current situation with setups is not good. If it was possible to share setup files, I would gladly build up a package with new defaults that won't light up the timing sheets, but will give an enjoyable experience that acts as a starting point for tweaking balance. But right now, that's not a possibility. Time Trial charts offer a possible solution, but are not the best place to get baselines , as those will always be geared towards hotlaps on a knife-edge.

We need either the possibility of sharing setup files to cure this, or for Reiza to step up (or ask for help from the community to turn in some decent baselines) and change what comes with cars as default. Automobilista 2 is great, but we need to make it more accesible for people that won't properly scratch beneath the surface to see what the metagame of it is actually about.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

I'm pretty sure Steelcast27 (a YouTuber who focuses on improving default setups and general AMS2 content) got hired by the devs to work on setups so hopefully we should see improvement in those fronts, especially for people like myself who just don't understand how to set cars up

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Good news! Hopefully it will be implemented.

6. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Any comments/thoughts on the current state of the Procar? members/devs. (I Found it a little odd on default compared to prior/months so have avoided recently.

Setup recomendations? @CrimsonEminence /members?

7. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

While I really enjoyed his tutorial videos, and he clearly knows his subject, most of the setups I tried from his videos were way too understeery for me. Hopefully he will go for a more neutral balance.. the front springs point made by Gabriel is a good one imvho.

8. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's still understeery everywhere, but at low speeds it's a bit more neutral now. You can counter some of the front-end push by forcing the rear to slide, but at high speed the front just has very little grip. Idk if this is a rake, suspension, or aero issue (too much rear wing?), but it's still a bit of a pig.

9. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Oddly this end (fresh full install ams2) I found it v/much more problematic with the rear. Default 1st impression was loose (overly) rr end and overall more unbalanced than in prior builds. (bearing in mind that some cars have improved enormously (lotus 79 bt44 etc) I have it on hold for testing at the moment..
    Thanks for reply David.
    edit it is a nice piggy:), always was a favoured car. when sorted.

10. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There is also the problem that a default setup for one track, however good it may be, will not suit another track. The only sim i use atm that has default setups for every track is ACC. But it would be a pretty long job to get two setups (aggressive and safe) for every car and every track in this sim, purely because there are so many cars and tracks. Would be good though!

• Like Like x 1
  11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

M1 looks way more capable, than it actually is. (True for all sims, featuring it, IMO). I can't understand the hype around it, but it looks cool indeed. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Paulo Frazao

Paulo Frazao Member AMS2 Club Member

I found a video that shows what i mean with bumpy F1 cars and no suspension work to see...
    Thats exactly how in the moment AMS2 is for me.

13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

No idea, if this is an old build and how far the F-Classics are, but suspension animation isn't the same as suspension physics.
    You can be sure, that this stuff, if not visible yet is coming to the game.
    It always has to be repeated that content releases aren't slowing down the process of bugfixing, it's all tied into a schedule. Leave that to the developer please. Any side-track can actually way more likely slow down things.

If you have a list for cars, that you think aren't using their suspension animation in cockpit view, please post it to the bug report thread, would be most appreciated!

14. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

His setup series was also made at a time where the diff wasn't working as well. The setups were meant to make the cars as usable as functional. If he gets to making an updated series, I can only imagine they'll feature a more neutral setup.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ANJAROO

ANJAROO New Member AMS2 Club Member

Enjoying the new update and really excited for USA part 2.

But I do have one criticism regarding this:

"IMPORTANT: You must delete your Automobilista 2\savegame\[User Profile Number]\automobilista 2\tuningsetups to reset your car setups to their original settings - failure to do so may result in a broken driving experience (it is not necessary to delete your other game settings)."

If I had to guess I would say that 95% of your player base did not and will not see this message. So all your hard work... is not being realized assuming you do really need to delete this folder.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. CatAstrophe05

I do think having an in-game option to delete your setups folder would be nice, like perhaps as a pop-up whenever a big physics update is rolled out

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Dennis

Dennis Member AMS2 Club Member

Running some laps and had forgotten how aggressive these AI can be. Sticking their nose into any little hole, dive bombing, blocking, bumping, throwing elbows. Feels like an entire field of Mad Max Verstappens! Not a complaint, I like these AI :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. CatAstrophe05

deleted

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  19. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Steelcast focuses on endurance more than single lap pace. Often single lap pace can lead to tire deg that's not feasible for endurance. This also means that his setup work should reduce lap 3 spins which have plagued lobbies when people overdrive the cars, overheat the rear tires and then wonder why they spin :).

• Like Like x 2
  20. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

Reiza are terrible at social media, I’m sure if they could they would employ someone to do this for them. The responsibility is on us to spread the message.
    I’m on a couple of Facebook groups and discords where people would type AMS2 feels weird, or it feels the same, or the diff is still whacky. First question did you delete the folder? Answer is always no!
    So when you spot these poor souls, shoot them the folder path and that’s your good deed done for the day!
    I do agree that a lot of people aren’t aware of these weird things with AMS2, why would they be expected to? All other sims auto update and bosh it works! AMS2 new major update requires some sort of folder or file deletion.
    Help others out, bigger happier player base and everyone’s a winner!
    Team work!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1