Automobilista 2 V1.3.1.1 & Racin´ USA Pt2 RELEASED - Now updated to V1.3.2.0

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

You'll see that a horizontal FOV of 62 equates to a 37 deg vertical FOV (which is used in other sims).
    So in essence I was using 37 in other sims and I have been using 55 - 65 in AMS2 which is then correct. At least in my mind I'm now good to go, since it always felt "wrong" to use 60+ purely because of the difference in numbers being so large in comparison.
    The driver's suit still gets to me though :eek:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You're missing something :whistle:

"hFov" stands for horizontal FOV.

"vFov" stands for vertical FOV.

Fov_diagram.png
    -------------------
    No idea about the drivers suit disappearing. I actually never saw that issue here, but i also drive with a 56 hFOV and didn't notice it with other methods before...

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Marnus Zwarts

It's more an issue of the suit being visible (I would've preferred it to not be) when you move far enough backwards in the seating position. For instance in an open wheeler, if you shift your seat backwards by about 20 pnts or more to get the side mirrors in view, the driver's suit is visible and detracts from the immersion. Small thing but worth a mention anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

So the FOV Calculators are wrong?
    How to cal Unbenannt.JPG culate it right on 49 inch monitor with a distance about 91 cm then?

5. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's exactly as the calculator says, for PCARS2, AMS2 and other games that use hFov for the calculation, you need to use 62 degrees. For other games like AC/ACC that use vFov for the calculation, you need to use 37 degrees. So, in this instance, 62 degrees hFov equals 37 degrees vFov (for the same physical sizes and distances).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jodurson

Jodurson Member

By the way, will there be any news about rest of the content from the new DLC?
    And any news about what will happen next in AMS2? December dev. blog or 2022 roadmap etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

@Dady Cairo on 49 inch you need 32:9. I am 70 cm away, so I use 81 in AMS 2. and 26/27 in AMS 1.

Have fun racing :D

8. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

You can still move the seat forward and back independently from the fov .

9. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The USA Part2 DLC content is announced on steam.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Driver model clipping through the viewport is one of the AMS2 woes indeed. But what mostly annoys me in the graphical side of the sim are those side mirrors pointing to nowhere.

Is it possible to use some calculation to make the mirrors actually point to the correct angle based on the camera position?
    upload_2021-12-13_10-16-48.png
    Or at least make them point to the back properly, based on the 0,0 default seat pos?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Marnus Zwarts

Cool, thought I'm alone as few seem to understand what I meant :p

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I believe all mirrors show the same flat pane, The middle mirror shares his view-angle with the left and right mirror so if you correct left mirror the Center and Right are off.
    I prefer the middle being correct, which automatically include the side-mirrors pointing to much outward

13. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

@Marius H
    It's a 16:9 / 1080p Sony Bravia TV with 49 Zoll/Inch single screen
    Modern FOV Calculator has 16:9 / 32 : 9 and 32 : 10 screen ratio
    Are you sure or is it a typo?

14. sgsfabiano

This is awful for the open wheelers (which obviously don't have a middle mirror), cause neither left nor right mirrors are point backwards properly, rendering both useless.

15. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I always use the virtual mirror which, I believe, also shares this pane

16. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Ohhhhh. Its a tv. Then its 16:9

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. sgsfabiano

I use the virtual mirror too, but strongly dislike it.

I'm naturally compelled to look at the side mirrors to check what is behind me, so often I find myself looking at the side mirrors, seeing absolutely nothing, then checking the virtual mirror with its bad FOV.
    Proper side mirrors give me better spatial orientation too, especially concerning close racing.

I understand I'm likely to be the minority, so it seems reasonable to not spend any effort on this "issue" then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BadEngineer

BadEngineer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Best scenario would be having adjustable side mirrors, with the option to "render self" like we had in the first game so we can see our own car.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Best scenario could be even better: Add stereoscopic rendering of all mirrors for VR users so that we won't have to suddenly refocus to reading distance when we're otherwise looking far ahead… and whoops there goes all my graphics card rendering capacity! :D
    One can always dream…

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thankyou to everyone who replied to my query its really helped me figure something out, turns out im not going mad because something did change over night, but it was'nt the car, and its not because of any update.

Its my driving style! Seems I did so much practice on the first day (as i was trying to iron out a problem I was having with the car to do with tires), that the next day after id slept, what id learned had had time to solidify in my brain, so when I got up the next day and started testing, my driving style had learned how to cope with the problem so it was almost like it was'nt there any more, and its very hard to un-learn.

I was suspicious that that might be the case but was'nt all that sure of myself so I thought if i asked the question in here and everyone said, "no, no update, cars still the same, yes, you are going mad!" then id know for sure that it was actually just me. (no one did actually put it like that and tell me im going mad cause you're all way too nice, but you get what I mean).

Today ive tested again as I could'nt all afternoon and evening yesterday as i was out gigging, but ive tested again today and tried to force myself to drive how I was driving before and, low and behold, the problem came back, so thats that then!

But its not, because the testing i was doing was for something very specific, and its helped me discover how far down the rabbit hole you can go in terms of detail, variability and accuracy you can go with this software, its fecking amazing! Infact, its totally blown my mind. Anyway, more on that later as i've got some more testing to do, but when i've got it all sussd I'll come back here and let you know what ive found. But for the meantime, Reiza, your sim continues to amaze me, and this time it really has blown my little noodle!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2