1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.6.2 Officially RELEASED

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

Not my experience at all. No difference whatsoever with the sides.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Whoops. Sorry wrong rocco

3. Mr Tom

Mr Tom New Member

Hi all

New to this forum and have to say my congrats to Reiza on the continual development of this game - it's fast becoming my favourite sim (not least because of the amazing VR!).

Just adding my two pennies worth to the AI debate (I only race offline in single player) but as others have said, I've seen plenty of instances across multiple tracks and same class cars with an AI car pulling up alongside but not completing an overtake. Another 'issue' being AI forming very close following trains at certain times too. Whilst it doesn't ruin the experience for me, I do think its as another post on here said that if this overtake issue could be somewhat resolved, it would improve the AI experience incredibly.

That said, compared to other sims I think, despite the above, the AMS2 AI stacks up pretty well. As much as I like ACC, as another user on here said I agree that single player races can get quite boring - I did a comparison today, a quick ACC race at Donnington and then in AMS2 GT3, and honestly I preferred the racing in AMS2. Not to mention AI issues in other games such as RF2 or AC (admittedly some might be mod compatibility related), but for a game still being developed, I think AMS2 has a really good ground to build off.

Keep up the great work Reiza, looking forward to the future of this game. Now just counting down my work hours until I get back on AMS2! ::whistle:

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Recon at 7 seems way too much to me. I run between 2 to 3 Recon and like my ffb to feel pretty rubbery. The difference may be in how much Friction I use in TD / Damping in AMS2 ffb but, I wonder if using that much Recon-filter may cause some latency issues.

5. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Bonjour,

Mister Tom,

I totally share your point of view. The AIs follow each other too closely without overtaking each other. It is really unpleasant. Another point is the pit strategy which sometimes pitters the cars on the last lap.
    But I know Reiza capable of correcting this. Progress has already been brilliant in some aspects.

6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I hab it at 2 before as well, 7+ definitely feels like it introduces some latency and even without that it doesn't feel too good. Rubbery feeling is what I'm after, and what I had before the updates. Now it's grainy and I don't like that too much. More in-game damper didn't change the grainy feel for me. How much friction do you run?

7. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

From personal experience it can even vary for the same user over time. A couple years ago I was only just getting into sim racing. Mistakes like off-tracks and spinning were quite common for me, and because of that I liked it when the pack was heavily spread out. It meant that I would still have cars to drive against for positions even after a serious mistake.

Now that I've gotten a little better about keeping myself on track I find myself wanting a pack that doesn't spread out as much, so there's more fighting involved in the races.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dean Ogurek

About 15% Friction / 0 Damping in TD / 40% Damping in AMS2.

I haven't tried using Default+ lately but, I'll check it out and see if I notice grainy-ness.

9. gixxerovios

gixxerovios New Member

Totally agree about the grainy feeling. The reason i dont drive more than 3 to 4 cars anymore...
    A good test for me is BMW M8 at Road America...awful...
    Btw i am on TS-PC.

10. Dean Ogurek

I just tried that combination and the track surface does feel rougher in fine details, both in FFB and motion effects.

11. Dean Ogurek

I tried Default+ with varied levels of LFB / FX / Damping. Changing those settings doesn't seem to have any significant effect on the grain but, I do detect some roughness in surface texture. It's most notable at very slow speeds (barely moving). The motion effects echo the ffb roughness, though.

The custom ffb-profile I use does not have the grainy feeling like Default+ does, so that should provide some alternatives to find a work-a-round. I use one of Karsten's most recent versions but, others may work well, too.

It could also be that Friction is effectively reducing the grainy feeling but, I didn't test that, specifically.

In trying various cars, the surface details can vary a lot from one car to the next. It may be that the changes to tire-carcass will require some revision to ffb once development is further along.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Regarding the "graininess" in FFB with the new revised tires...yes, it is a result of the firmer tire carcass and revised treads. It will have to be adjusted out by the devs for each car as the tires are finalized. No point in changing your FFB settings trying to get rid of it if they are otherwise OK for the not-yet-updated cars.

This is another example of where Reiza could have withheld the new tires until the FFB was fully massaged, just like the AI speeds are now off-kilter for a bunch of the series with the new tires. I am not commenting one way or the other, but just reminding that Reiza has traditionally chosen to share new tech early and let us hack it and find issues rather than restricting it to internal staff for what could be months prior to public release.

Some people prefer to get earlier access and experience the "live development" of the sim; some prefer to use only heavily polished content.

The only solution, since talking about it here changes nothing, is that if you are in the latter camp, better to avoid using new content until a couple of update cycles have passed else you will be frustrated :)

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

IMG_6465.jpg

So, random side note: I got to watch one of my favorite cars in AMS2 rip around Mid Ohio on Sunday. :rolleyes:

She roars... and I mean properly ROARRS!!!

• Like Like x 9
  14. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Fun battle with and among the AI for P6 at the end of 35 laps at The Glen.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

As long as it's not an issue on my end I'm good with waiting for FFB updates. If I have one thing, it's patience... and a preference for historic content and that hasn't been updated yet :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry should have said "like listening to a Joe Rogan podcast" I don't listen to his stand up or UFC stuff, just like his podcasts as he gets some really interesting folks on, its long format and he actually lets his guests speak rather than trying to put words in their mouths like some channel 4 ambush journalist (cough) just after a quick banal incendiary sound bite. I just think his interviews are good.

17. Mr Tom

Mr Tom New Member

Really good video! Is this with custom AI? But this is what gives me faith that the overtake issue can be fixed. The 7up Jordan swapped places with the Mclaren numerous times in your video.

Bonjour Seb, yes I agree since I started in AMS2 last December I have seen improvements so far. Being positive, I wonder if this AI following closely thing might be a good sign for the quality of oval racing if we get it eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

This is not exactly good or realistic racing.
    0:55 and 1:26: How do the AI cars gain so much out of the corner when they had such abysmal apex speed? AI corner exits still not fixed, even if there's time to be gained on your exit.

1:55: What is the AI car doing trying a move on the inside of that corner? Should frankly never happen.

2:03: Why doesn't the AI McLaren go for a move, why does it brake on a straight?

2:12: How the hell do they get that quick through the chicane that closely together?

2:53 onwards: Again a case of horrible balancing; the AI just fires some weird boost on acceleration and is gone, you lose about a SECOND in these two corners alone, completely destroying any semblance of reality.

3:22: Classic case of AI (McLaren) making a weird non-committed move and just holding everyone up in the process.

3:33: What the hell is the Jordan AI trying to do on the inside/grass there?

3:53: How the Jordan gets past you looks like something straight out of a cartoon, ridiculously overboosted.

3:58-4:15: Is the AI programmed to miss the line every corner or is it trying to leave space where it isn't needed? Them being on the grass here is the reason why this unrealistic and obnoxious pack racing continues. Also, again, what is that acceleration out of the corners? Also also, the Benetton looks like it's driving a superior car to you, because that move should not be able to happen.

4:32: Another nice example of the complete unbalance; the McLaren AI is driving in your dirty air and almost drives into your back despite that, because it can accelerate on 100 % about 150 metres too early.

I don't mean to disrespect you or anyone at Reiza, but this is not at all how a real race works and this video is excellent at showing everything wrong with the AI as it is now. You can of course overlook these things and still have fun, but this kind of "racing" is not up to standards of anything that wants to be a simulator.

Especially the acceleration is THE big issue in Formula Cars. Just look at how the AI stay glued together at all places and the player heavily varies between falling back on corner exits and catching up big time under braking and on the straights. This is not due to driving style and definitely not due to concertina effect, this is due to fundamental issues in AI performance in relation to player that affect almost every single corner.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
  19. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with @Dicra , that doesn't look like an F1 race at all. I think not even the junior formulas have that much side-by-side pack racing...

I think the current state of AI simulates well tin top races, where cars can bang wheels and racing in side-by-side packs is not that uncommon.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

In general, the AI seems to be optimized mainly to provide good tin top racing, because the acceleration issues don't show up there at all/are much less pronounced.