1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.8.1 Oficially Released - Now Updated to V1.3.8.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 28, 2022.

1. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Mitsubishi Lancer - how do you get off the start line without the car bogging down?

(I'm just using wheel and gas/brake pedals, no gearstick or clutch).

2. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Since you have no clutch pedal, you are using auto-clutch. Auto-clutch has several features:
    -anti-stall
    -shifting
    -Anti-wheel slip

This last one is what causes your car to bog down. Basically autoclutch doesn't allow you to spin your wheels on a shift/clutch drop, effectively becoming a on-shift TC.

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Time to invest in a clutch and a gearstick <3 Immersion, ahoo!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Someone might correct me, but I think you can leave clutch assist on, but still map a key/button to the clutch just for launch - so you can build some revs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

I'm all for immersion myself and love driving with an H-Shifter (for cars that use it), but sadly it's not that easy for everyone. Some people may be unable to use one of their legs. And some may have other reasons for being unable to heel and toe properly, like I do; repeated injuries to my right ankle pretty much make it impossible for me to heel and toe without pain or stiffness occurring in my foot and ankle.

On the other hand, this minor handicap did teach me to left-foot brake (using the clutch pedal!) in racing sims and I still lift and blip the throttle accordingly when using an H-shifter, it's just that I have to rely on auto-clutch...

(Believe me, it's not the way I want things to be - but it's still infinitely better than not being able to enjoy AMS2 and other sims at all! :D)

On a related note, I am grateful that I can enjoy AMS2 this way. So far the only sim that absolutely refuses to enable this playstyle is Assetto Corsa, because it's auto-clutch system is completely and utterly f***ed by design. :(

EDIT: As for the question - just using an H-Shifter with auto-clutch should also enable wheel spin on launch when keepingthe revs high enough in neutral before shifting into 1st gear.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
  6. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah. I can't use heel-toe either, cause I had to make a compromise on how I placed the pedals, cause I am racing seq and pattern. For SEQ I won't want to have my left leg feeling cramped and weird when braking. For pattern I don't want the clutch to be on the far left side, nor I want the throttle pedal too much to the left as well.. Nor I want all the pedals too close too each other so I miss-press the pedals...So what I got now is that the clutch and brake a bit closer to each other and the throttle a bit more to the right. Comfort is also important.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sampopel

So is there something specific to the Lancer because it's the only car I have this problem with? All the other cars allow me to sit in neutral with high revs and then when lights go green, I immediately click the button to go into 1st gear, the high revs are maintained and away we go. With the Lancer, no matter what I try, when I stick it into 1st gear, the revs instantly die and the cars pulls away like I'm driving a family road car. But the AI race away like race cars.

8. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I am not sure. It's not like the car has a ridiculously long 1st gear for rolling starts, but it could be the car's engine/clutch caracteristic at work. Or maybe the tyres are too grippy longitudinally. I don't know.

9. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There's a big bug at BuenosAires No 15
    In practice, every time you start out of pits, you'll get a grid penalty because of crossing pit line!
    Even the first time you start, just before rolling out of pit there is the penalty!
    BA2.jpg
    BA.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  10. XTRMNTR2K

Maybe because it's AWD? Come to think of it, are there even any other AWD cars in AMS2?

11. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks mate i might try that, hav'nt had to do that in a long time though and all files are validated. Im sure i can still save a setup up, what i mean is if you change anything without saving, as soon as you come back to the pits it all resets. MEGA anoying when trying to tune, test and tune again

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. sampopel

Actually, I just tested and it also happens with the modern Mini Cooper, which is apparently FWD.

13. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Do you guys also have you wheel going full left when hitting ESC to select Back to pit ? ( Happend 85% of the Time)

This is quite annoying and as I running VR happend twice I didn t notice the wheel was not center ... What a surprise at green light. Could be cool to have a message when you are repositioned on grid with the wheel not center

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Rocco Thamm

Rocco Thamm Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm glad you solved the problem Andy. But not sure why I deserved a "disagree" rating for trying to help and hint you to post your hardware details for better responses on your issue. I ask you to take back this rating, tyvm. Screenshot_20220716_212954.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Andy Sperber

Andy Sperber Member

yo canceled this disagree, missclicked or sth

16. Tarmac Terrorist

Hey mate, tried deleting Tuning folder (was'nt bothered about loosing saved setups as i know what i've done with most cars, plus have reset all to defaults after last physics update) and it worked! Mate I could kiss ya! Nice one! Cheers!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tarmac Terrorist

Hey folks! I just published an article on Racedepartment with a supporting video about a pretty major problem concerning racing the A.I. in changing conditions and I'd love your thoughts on it, especially if you know something about A.I. programing. It's just an idea, feel free to disagree of course, and if you've got a better idea please say! I wonder how many of you can relate to this.

The problem is basically with some of the massive speed differences between A.I. in the dry and A.I. in the wet, which can be so large it renders some cars unuseable (at least for me) in changing conditions, which is a shame because for offline players it renders all that hard work by the devs on the weather and environment system useless.

I may make a seperate thread for this, but in the mean time I'd love to know what you think! Oh and just to be clear, its not just AMS2 that has this problem, but i've used it as an example at the end of the video (using the GTE cars, which just slow down massively as soon as its wet).

The work that has been done by Reiza on A.I. recently is absoloutely fantastic, but this is one area where there is a big problem, and I know they are gradually working their way through the car classes, but this is not just down to them, its also to do with different players wet driving ability, which of course they have no control over.

Here's the article (video link at bottom of article). Please let me know what you think.

Cheers! The Big Problem With A.I. In Changing Weather Conditions & Possible Solution

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. XTRMNTR2K

I watched your video yesterday and actually forgot to post a comment. Oops. :oops:

First off, many thanks for sharing your valuable thoughts, and for putting this issue into the limelight. This is one of the major issues bothering me with many sims, AMS2 included. I don't mind driving in the wet and adapting my approach to changing conditions. It's a large part of real racing as well, and is a fun challenge in itself. What isn't fun is the AI rocketing away from you even though you managed to find the right setting for you in dry conditions (which isn't always easy, either), or just as frustrating, having the AI slow down to a crawl. Right now, I either race in stable or dry conditions for the most part simply because of this.*

What you said about a separate slider that acts as a multiplier or modifier for their wet ability compared to dry conditions is something that I brought up a long time ago as well. IMHO having some sort of ability to fine-tune this is a better solution than relying on the devs to get it right for everyone - in all cars and on all tracks.

So yes, I hope we will be seeing improvements to this area. After all, we have a fantastic weather system (though I wish for even more fine control, so we could have a tiny bit of drizzle rather than light rain, or something in-between the other stages of precipitation), and combined with LiveTrack, variable air/track temperatures and day and night cycles, this makes for one hell of an endurance combination! (Even if you, like me, mostly do sprint races with time acceleration. :D)

*That being said, two days ago I had a fun race using the modern Stock Cars on Cordoba TC with two random weather slots and weather synced to race length (10 laps, iirc). At the default date, this often resulted in sunny weather, but in this particular race a thunderstorm moved in at the end of lap 2. Everyone went to the pits for wet tires, myself included. It was kind of fun to see the AI slow down and struggle with the soaked track - even saw a few pileups - but ultimately the AI became so slow I overtook (almost) the entire field from the back, especially once I felt comfortable with the conditions. And this was with me being at the back of the pack due to an error as well an extended pit stop due to repairs.

Still, it's kind of cool not to be slower than AI in the rain for a change, haha. Guess I still remember the (not so) good old PCARS and PCARS2 days where all AI drivers were Senna or Schumacher level rain gods.

P.S.: Not sure if there was ever any racing sim that got the dry-wet AI balance right - but I agree that, out of all the sims I have played, ACC seems to be the one with the closest match between these two conditions!

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

And if you want to add more challenge to the Dev you should have separate skills for wet and dry for the same AI as real Pilots have different skills for wet and dry. Some are Good on dry and very good on wet, some are very good on dry and average on wet ... Ect... This could re-shuffle the cards during a race with changing weather as in real live.

But imo this whole discussion should be a different thread. The way I see thing is this thread is about to comment the change log items list. This is diverging so much with so many directly related subjects ( including me) this is difficult sometimes to follow the discussions

20. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

That already exists in the custom AI, so presumably in the normal AI as well.

• Like Like x 2