1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.3.8.1 Oficially Released - Now Updated to V1.3.8.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Good summary of the issue!

Another problem is that the AI mistake logic we currently have doesn't account for wet weather. The AI should have much more spins and offs in the following situations:

- Start of the rain (slicks on suddenly wet track) - this should be the highest number of spins, because in real racing, we see about 30-40% of the drivers going off when there's a sudden downpour.
    - Slicks on dry ideal line with wet rest of the track - because you have to be very precise there, as we saw, say, in Canada 2011 or Hockenheim 2019 with Bottas and Hamilton. By the way, these conditions dry up far (!) too quickly in the game. If the sky is cloudy, the wet patches next to the dry ideal line should stay until the end of the race and only veeeery slowly widen (see Canada 2011 for reference).
    - rain conditions - the mistake probability should increase with the amount of puddles on the track.

This would do WONDERS for immersion in offline wet AI racing, and as a mistake logic is already in place, I hope it's not too difficult to adjust it.
    -

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

W
    Yes but the range of changeable value is too small for some car types i.e. if thery're mega slow in the wet, you can put their wet skill to 1.0 and they are still too slow, or vice versa

3. Tarmac Terrorist

In terms of track drying too fast, are you using 'sync to rac' in weather settings at all? This will make a big difference to how fast the conditions change

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can confirm, in the custom AI file I have for the 1991 f1 cars, Senna and Prost both come alive in wet races

5. Dicra

Yes, it's the only setting I use.

6. Dicra

Considering the topic of AI:
    I just had another of those classic AMS2 formula cars AI experiences. I raced at Long Beach, and it was actually a very fun experience, battling the AI side by side - until I binned it in the wall.

Long Beach, make no mistake, is a traditionally very hard track for any AI to behave. But the AI in AMS2 did that, and it was exhiliarating - if not for the fact that these guys left me in the dust in the acceleration zone of all but two corners. I had to make up all that time under braking if I wanted to stand a chance, and their continually unfair corner exits played a LARGE part in making me overdrive the car.

If they didn't just drive away so easily on corner exit (especially the corner before my crash happened), I would feel far less prompted to counter that by trying things that aren't possible.
    This video is both a very nice showcase of what AMS2 could be, and what it currently, regrettably, is (driven with a pad, that's why steering looks sometimes slightly erratic).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I get what you are saying but if you watch your rearview mirror, you are also pulling away from the cars behind you on exit. Cars in front of you obviously are on the throttle before you as they are exiting before you and then on the breaks sooner as they are coming to the next turn before you. Maybe it could be a bit more balanced but I don't think it is that out of line with how it works IRL.

Look at 2:20 as a great example where you exit almost exactly with the AI car to the left and you actually pass them.

2:50 they clearly pull out on you but check your rearview mirror. You do the same to the AI behind you. The rate at which you pull out from them is almost the exact rate they pull away from you.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Dicra

I am well aware of the concertina effect, but what's often happening in AMS2 is not that.

The constatina effect exists, but in this post you pointed out 2 of the 3 corners where it actually works as it should and ignored the examples where it doesn't.

The AI gain 1 tenth out of T1, gain another 2 out of turn 2-4, and gain another whopping 3-4 tenths out of T7 - just in the acceleration zones alone. The acceleration zones out of T5 and T6 are so that I can barely hang on with the AI. T8 is just about perfect. The acceleration zone of T10, I gain 2 tenths back, but that gets mitigated by the heavy constatina effect of that corner, so it's not so bad.

Look at 2:40, 2:46, 3:02. If there's three clear examples where it's too much, it's really not so helpful to pretend like there's no issue.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  9. Theodore Schultz

As I said it could be worked on a bit but it is much better than most if not all other sims especially in F1 cars.

10. Dicra

Do you regularly play F1 cars? Because I as an F1 focused guy honestly rarely have any motivation to play these cars in the game with AI because of this very issue. At least not on any track with several 2nd/3rd gear or curved acceleration zones out of slow corners.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  11. Theodore Schultz

I do but have you found a sim with better F1 AI because I haven't. AC probably has the best F1 cars but you can only hot lap with them as the AI can't get through turn one at any track.

I even went as far as to get F1 22 and that game so far is a joke.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. Tarmac Terrorist

Ah right, thats probably why you are seeing the track dry up so quickly. If you use sync to race and then do a short race with changing conditions, it speeds up the transitions to suit you're race time. If you don't use sync it changes over the course of something like 30mins or an hour, can't remember which one it is, but thats why anyway. hope that helps!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dicra

But if I don't use sync to race, and set it on, say, thunderstom->cloudy, then I'll have an hour of thunderstorm even if I maybe only want a shorter period of that.

Which reminds me that Reiza should replace the option of the 4 weather slots with an option to set percentage values
    e.g. you set the "cloudy" section to 95% and the "thunderstorm section" to 5%, then only 5% of the race have a thunderstorm.

Maybe you could do this by having some kind of slider? So you could set the first 5% of that slider to "thunderstorm", and everything after that to "cloudy"? And change that around to your liking?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. Dylan Hale

This is something SMS wanted to do for Pcars 2 but couldn't for whatever reason.

15. Tarmac Terrorist

Well, i've got some time free so im gunna run a livestream in about 5mins and use several random weather slots as it seems topical to do so.
    Check my channel if you wanna join in! (Not sure how much weather variation we will get due to how the slots work, but we'll see!)

16. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Get some shakers, they make a massive difference to the immersion and feel. I actually cannot race now without them cos it feels so lifeless without.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Hector

Hector New Member

Congratulations to Reiza for the Argentina pack, it is a great contribution to the game.
    However, in the Buenos Aires circuit there are three very marked imperfections in the asphalt (directly they are jumps) that cause very violent reactions in the FFB.
    Taking into account the circuit used by Formula 1 between 1995 and 1998, are turn 3, turn 5 and especially turn 6 (Ascari).
    I like to play on bumpy tracks but these three examples I mentioned are totally blown out of proportion.
    I know the circuit as I have been to many Touring and Formula 1 races.
    Beyond this comment the game has improved a lot since version 1.3, I look forward to the update to version 1.4.
    Greetings.

18. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it possible for Reiza to implement an option for ffb fade-in? I keep crashing the car at the start of rolling starts because of it, as i have no way of feeling the grip of the rear tyres for the critical start, so i use too much throttle and spin.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Dylan Hale

Same, its very annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

It's not that complicated.

If you want a short period of thunderstorm followed by nicer weather, simply divide your session (race, Q or P, doesn't matter) into four sections (the most allowed) and make the first one thunderstorm and the others whatever you want that isn't thunderstorm.

The transitions are randomized to some extent, so if you have a 20 minute session, the transitions will not magically occur at exactly 5, 10 and 15 minutes. There will be some variation to make it somewhat plausible. Of course, you can pick completely implausible patterns such as thunderstorm-sunny-heavy fog-sunny and jam them all in to a 10 minute session. Don't complain that it isn't realistic...

Also, not trying to be pedantic, but it is "concertina" effect. Also known as "accordion" effect outside the UK. Once you know how those musical instruments operate, it is obvious where the naming of the effect comes from.

• Like Like x 4