1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

'Sometimes it amazes me
    How strong the power for AMS 2 can be
    Sometimes it just takes my
    Breath away'

It's too good to slip by
    Too good to lose
    Too good to be there
    Not to use

I am on a mountain top
    and tell the news
    Yes, AMS 2 takes my
    Breath away!'

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Of course not... NO ONE SINGLE SIMULATOR demands equal processing power under all conditions and it's not a matter of optimization. The fact is that AMS2 is a pretty good looking game and it delivers the best "beauty/hardware" all around (for a simulator). The only other sim to be equally (or even more) beauty than AMS2 is ACC, but with my GTX950 the Kunos game LITERALY has Nintendo 64 textures.

Night illumination, rain and grid size are performance busters with any sim. Maybe there is some room for Reiza to improve AMS2 performance, but I really doubt that results will come cheap and, considering that the studio have only a small crew, maybe is not the best place for them to put their resources over, specially considering that this sim deliver the best graphics demanding way less than it's only competitor in this department.

Maybe it's better for folks to turn some settings down, upgrading their computer or, ultimately, adopting a less demanding simulator for VR. C'mon, lads... I'm doing 60fps/1080p with a GTX950! You know that I'm using the settings on pretty low to do that... and, yet, the game still kinda nice to my eyes.. you can do it, also. Looks like way better than Enduro (the first racing game that I played, back in 1983, for the Atari 2100) or Built to Win (the first racing game that I really like, back in the late 80s, for the NES). Please, friends, don't you grow up just to be grumpy old men lol

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I understand what you are saying. What I want to know is if Reiza can make the gap between the best and worst conditions FPS smaller. Even I who has a mid to high end pc can’t get desired fps in the worst conditions. They are the worst conditions for a reason. I just want Reiza to try and make it so if you have a random race you will have similar fps in all conditions. They could optimise the game or add FSR and DLSS

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

That’s a you problem and not a Reiza problem buddy!
    Even games like half life Alyx, arguably the most optimised VR game of all time by one of the largest group of VR devs of all time have drops in performance, most notably level 7 when you come out of the warehouse and look at the sunset with all the buildings around. Then some levels where a ton of AI are being loaded into the next scene.
    I dropped my in game settings to allow for sunset, sunrise and headlights so that I only take a mild beating when these events occur. I could crank up my settings and race no time progression mid day every race for optimum settings but that would be super boring!
    VR is all about trade offs, it’s a niche part of a driving sim and if I were you, either drop your settings to accommodate for random events, or set the game up with no random events.
    I’ll definitely be looking into the 4080ti when it releases hopefully next year, because I’d love to crank my settings up a bit for sunset and sunrise and headlights. If you want to improve your experience I would suggest you put money a side for the 40 series cards, or drop your settings because they are the only real way you will see an end to tanking performance!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Racinglegend1234

I just want to point out I dint play with Vr.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

Replace VR with monitor(s) and half life Alyx with Shadow of the Tomb Raider!

7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

We already did, optimization is ongoing all the time. It can't be said often enough: VR requires you to render 2 images in high quality with decent framerate/frametimes and combined with several light sources, reflections, particles and all at high density the impact on performance will be big. AMS2 is arguably not a badly optimized title.

The best way to achieve better night + rain performance is to reduce settings if you don't hit your required target. Reduced particle density, reflections, environment map and shadows have some serious impact at weather + night.

Implementing new upscaling technology isn't a trivial task, i can't tell if that is feasible.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Ref night/rain
    I dont run Vr but had many races in past at night in storms, with a drop but not perhaps as is now.
    Some recall (inc remco) as above better performance a long time ago.
    :).
    +
    Q Wet tyres across all cars/class's: What is the current Devs opinion? pls

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  9. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Would it be possible to sometime in the future have the option to save different graphics configs for different conditions? For example one 'daytime' setting and one 'rainy night' setting?
    That would make it a lot easier to switch between settings :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know.

11. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

you might be able to do that using the text based config files, a bit messy but I think it is possible.

12. Philippe Moinet

Philippe Moinet The driver hyper tourist AMS2 Club Member

Comme on dit chez nous "tu ne peux pas avoir le beurre, l'argent pour le beurre et le biiiiip pour la crémière"

13. Racinglegend1234

I understand, but I will have to check my settings and try to optimize them. Two questions.
    1. Do I gain a big amount of performance in AMS2 with resizable bar on?
    Cpu: Intel i5-12600k GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Master 8G Motherboard: Aorus Z690 ultra Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax black Ram: Kingston 32GB DDR5 5200MHz CL40 fury beast SSD: WD Black SN850 2TB Gen 4 ssd Psu: Fractal design Ion 850W gold Case: Fractal design Torrent TG A-RGB-Black OS: Windows 10 pro

14. Philippe Moinet

De mon côté AMS2 tourne avec une carte 2060 RTX et un vieux processeur i6. A cause de mon processeur j'ai mis les ombres en basse qualité ainsi que les reflets, la carte d'environnement, l'herbe et les particules. Le reste est en haut et je suis resté à 50 ips pour qu'il ne baisse en aucun cas. Le résultat est la simulation qui tourne le mieux et qui est la plus belle par rapport à la concurrence. Je filme sur un simple écran 1920x1080.

15. Racinglegend1234

I have a 1440p monitor with 144hz so I try to achieve 144 fps which could maybe be a bit to much

16. Sims Alabim

Sims Alabim Member AMS2 Club Member

Tried it, but didn't notice any difference. I'm using VR, so not shure if it would work at all. Anyway, the biggest gain in perfromance i got was from the latest AMD drivers! So, it's not all on Reiza :) Compared to other titles, performance in VR is really good.

17. Racinglegend1234

How does the performance of AMS2 compare to PC2?

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. Philippe Moinet

I have another screen, a curved 21/9 3440-1440, 144fps. It may be a personal feeling, but I tested, among other things, on AMS2 and iracing to block at a constant 80 fps, then I lowered the quality a bit and left the fps free. When I had falls from 144 to 110 for example, I felt it, on the other hand when it remains stable at 80 without falling it's great and I prefer that. Then I still have 2 or 3 games I play on PS4, that's why I sometimes switch screens and maybe I'm used to a low fps because of that good old PS4, so having a 50 fps stable and lots of graphics options on high suits me. But as I say it may be specific to everyone but I don't do fps hunting at all :)

19. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Until just recently I ran AMS2 on a laptop with an 8 series i7 and a 1060m on max settings at 1080p and regularly drove night races in full storm without any real issues. A month or so ago I bought a 3080 to prepare for getting vr, even then I don't expect it to be able to run flawlessly, maxed out.

High end VR headsets have two 2k monitors in them, but as I understand it, the two images are rendered seperately, it isn't just convergence of the first. That is a lot of work to do and even a well optimised game like AMS2 will be demanding in the busiest conditions.

If any of you remember 3d vision, I bought that at the time with two 580s to try and get 60fps twice at 1080 (top of the line cards at the time) and it still wasn't enough in some titles, even the best optimised ones didn't get 60 consistently. Now we want solid 80+ FPS in 2k twice over at max settings and we are talking about GPUs 2-4 series old.

Perhaps the 40 series will be the cards that unlock '4k' VR like butter but I doubt it will be across the board, perhaps AMS2, but there will still be titles that are too demanding or poorly optimised. On top of that, new VR headsets and games will probably drop by the time you could get your hands on the 40 series that will require more still, the never ending chase continues.

That is the reason why I've only just moved up to 2k and I couldn't be happier; because my new card runs all games beautifully at a minimum constant 60+ fps on max settings, some I can even get maxed the refresh rate of 165hz.

How long until VR headsets are 2 x 4k panels and we need the 60 series GPUs?

20. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The sooner the better.

Looks like you are giving VR a bad wrap even without trying it. Ive gone VR 5 years ago and Im not going back.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1