1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.1.0 Released - Now Updated to V1.4.1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I think the biggest difference comes from the tire simulations. The games you're used to playing use am empirical tire with quick peaks and a more simple approach.

The Madness Engine uses its own SETA model which consist of simulating a contact patch (instead of 1 to X points of contact) and as such is a lot more dynamic. If you go in with a new approach, ignoring what you're used to in terms of tire contact, you'll have an easier time to learn this model and relearn how you feel things.

Others can surely help you better in explaining the differences ^^

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

FYI, no oval cars in real life race in the rain or even in the wet. Rain tires are for road or street courses only (though perhaps the GAME allows us to pick this combo, but if it does, I wouldn't expect much from it).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

I’m on a t300 and iracer since 08. What’s your ffb settings. There’s a thread in here with t300 settings. I’ve tried them and I liked what I had better. I’m not home but I can share with you later. I have the boost enabled which one guy said it just wears the wheel out faster. I say whatever, if it does so be it, but I like the boost feel and run the gain @90

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It is indeed, because the AMS2 variant has a swing axle and treaded road-like tires.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

It’s not apples to apples. Just like IRacing’s RSR Porsche is different then this car here

6. s0cks

s0cks New Member

It is strange to me though that this sim can feel so much different to the rest. I know they use a completely different way to model the tyre (and from a technical standpoint the Madness Engine is impressive), but all of these games are trying to mimmick how it feels to drive in real life. So regardless of the underlying mechanism, one would think that they should feel relatively similar, but AMS2 feels really different. If it is something I can fix with FFB settings then I'll give it a go.

I'm going to try rF2 shortly and compare that. I also own AC/ACC but haven't played either yet. I hear rF2 has some of the best tyre physics, so I'll see how that compares to iRacing and AMS2.

7. s0cks

s0cks New Member

Fair enough. But all the cars in AMS2 have a similar theme to them imo when it comes to handling. Like you can definitely tell you're driving AMS2.

8. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Is that not the case with every sim to be fair? Each one has its own quirks in the driving model that give them their own feel

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. s0cks

s0cks New Member

Yes please PM me later your settings.

• Like Like x 1
  10. s0cks

s0cks New Member

They all have their own quirks, but AMS1, GTR2, and iRacing (can you tell I'm old?) all feel relatively similar imo. Like I can jump in any of these and feel right at home in a few laps. AMS2 I can play for hours (I have 155hrs played) and it still feels odd to me.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2022
  11. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not attacking him just giving a no nonsense analysis of what I see: if you try to express a different opinion in his chat you get mocked and pretty much insulted and called a fanboy and basically silenced. It's a fact and has occurred.
    It has occurred over and over again to several AMS2 users including some that now are part of the developer team.
    GM instead of moderating just leave those noisy arrogant guys blank check to act like that in his chat.
    Other streamers don't do that I can make names: Mr Git, Jardier, Dan Suzuki, Quirkitized and others don't have a toxic chat.
    They may like AMS2 or not or any other sim, but they don't nurture a deaf and toxic chat disguising it under "sarcasm, don't take us to seriously". So if I don't have to take them too seriously as they say, then I bet their reviews/opinions shall not be taken seriously either.
    That is my personal opinion of course. Others may like the comedy and buy into the sarcastic vs toxic chat, personally I do not.
    So when I sum up the totally unknowledgeable streamer, the show and the chat I think the community of simracing would be better without all that.
    Others may enjoy it, so to each his own, but like I always say criticism is a two way highway: as much as the streamer is free to criticize the viewers (like me) have the same freedom.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Biased or not, competent or not, he is perfectly right about the Caterhams (as an example) and from the short test I did the issue is still exagerated by the diff settings.

On default, at the slightest loss of grip (or rotational speed difference) it seems the full torque is sent to the slower wheel causing immediate rotation while cornering even at low gas opening.

The same happens in straight line with the car wandering continously as the torque is transfered left and right.

If you have ever tried the 'drift modes' on the recent torque vectoring 4wd, the effect is quite similar with yaw motion artificially increased by transfering most ot the torque on the outer wheels even when tires are not spinning. Fun but disorienting.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I must say, I find it amusing that we are discussing the influence streamers have on people's choice of game within one of the ultimate niche genres of gaming alongside flight sims and interactive golf nets!

Yes, it is a truly difficult decision to choose between all 6 or so of the main sims: AMS2, PC2, iRacing, Rf2, R3E and ACC. We could throw Dirt and F1 in there for good measure.

Now a show of hands, who owns most, if not all of the above? iRacing is probably the one missing for many of you since you never really own that. :D

In the past 5 months not a single video of GM's has gone above 40k views, even JB is basically unknown to anyone who isn't already into racing and hits around 100k with most videos...
    To put that in perspective, one of my own, awful guitar tutorials clocked around 40k views back in 2008; some ugly, hairy dude, unedited on a terrible webcam in the era before iphones.

My point being that these guys are essentially catering to existing sim racers, they aren't like the big names who stream a new free-to-play shooter and thousands upon thousands start playing it simply because 'X' says it is good. Those guys are personalities and can market games that their audience haven't heard of because the people come for their personality. That doesn't work if the only way people know you is from that incredibly niche genre that has 8 titles that work with the rig those people spent hundreds, or thousands on.

Perhaps there are people who leave their choice of purchase up to a trusted streamer, but I would suggest that is a minority within a minority. Even if they do choose not to get AMS2 immediately, how long before it is on sale and they think 'why not'. If not that, how long before one of their racer mates gets irritated with their obstinance and buys it for them.

To be clear, I am not criticising people who stream, more power to them if they enjoy it, but they are known only to people who are unlikely to be affected by their opinion in any meaningful way.

Maybe I'm just horribly out of date with how things work these days... Sounds plausible.:p

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Marc Collins

Away from PC now, but I will have to try the Cats again as they specifically did not have these traits, even though a few other models do. In simple terms, the Cats had been "fixed" as others will be fixed soon.

Were these a problem in the initial release of 1.4 (prior to hot fixes)? Not sure. But hopefully we don't have cars going backwards in terms of receiving tire (and other) updates and then losing them in the next hot fix.

Although, there are so many vehicle changes in motion that we do know some glitches, typos and other human errors slip through once in a while.

As I mentioned in another reply, the real life Cats are by design some of the most driftable cars in the game. To add to the dizziness, you sit almost over the rear axle while driving them, which distorts your perspective of yaw relative to most other vehicles. But, the tires were behaving and not overheating prematurely, and, the diffs were working well. I thought they were very close to "finished" for 1.4.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tested them 5 minutes ago and they have not changed much since 1.4 even if probably they are slightly better now (Supersport, Superlight and 620R).

16. Marc Collins

Are you getting differential-induced wheel spin, or "tire fire" as some call it, accelerating out of in corners in for example the Super Sport?

17. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Really? So, what happened when it start raining? They stop the race?

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Most sims are isimotor-based. There is a lot more shared code between gtr2, rf2, r3e, ams1 and ams2 than many people know. Tyres and drivelines are what is most different.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Yes. That's exactly what they do. Indianapolis has been know to run on the Monday if it's raining on Sunday, for example.

In the US, there's also a lightning rule where lightning within an 8 mile radius of the track means pausing all track activity for at least 30 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

I tell you you can leave the Fontana (98CART)track, come back same temps and the cars is loose as F**
    What’s going on??