1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.3.3 & Racin´ USA Pt3 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, last summer I was driving in Ireland. Windows down cause it was 22 and high humidity. So I was driving from Bantry to Cork. On local roads. I drove a few times near a wall, etc and I was so surprised to hear the reverb. Never heard it before due my hearing, but I was like: 'Hej, its just like in AMS 2!' I was smiling so bright from ear to ear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

driving a family car with the windows down doesn't really compare to a loud racecar with all sorts of creeks and noises, and also wearing a helmet

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

During a real life race the driver probably is too focused to pay attention to useless stuff such as engine sound reverbing on the walls...

We sim racers are too comfortable and danger free to the point we actually notice such silly things.

Edit: it is like those journalists who ask if the driver feels more motivated by looking at the fans during the race. They probably don't have the time to care, but the politically correct reply is "of course". At most a small glance at different stuff, like that guy who crashed because a fan showed her boobies and we men instinctly turn our heads to take a peek.

4. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

It’s not a „silly“ thing. It brings a lot to immersion, and immersion is very important for a simulation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I already told you that it is still there. @CrimsonEminence just told you that it was not removed. I use normal engine volumes and drive from the cockpit because that's the only place I have ever been able to drive a real vehicle from :)

It occurs to me that perhaps there is an issue with external cameras--is that what you are using? In reality, there would be no or next next to no sound reflections if your camera and ear are floating up in the air behind the car. I haven't checked this, but if realistic sound engineering is applied, reflections should be gone or minimized in external elevated views.

For cockpit view, they are working. Drive close to a wall and you can hear the reflection on top of the regular engine sound.

And, we can see from comments above that other people still have them and there is mixed opinion about whether they should be realistic (probably barely perceptible) versus louder for immersion purposes. Sounds like every argument about every issue on here :)

As usual, asking Reiza nicely to add a slider so the reverb can be adjusted separately from the engine sound it is actually attached to would be in order. Claiming things have been removed and claiming that it has been stated that things have been removed that are obviously still there is not helpful.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In the bigger picture it is silly, as it is just a small detail. Not that I'm against it, I pretty much would rather have it than not, but wouldn't mind not having it at all.

If we really want to push towards maximum immersion I'd start by disabling assists, T-cams, teleports, HUD...

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is btw the onboard sound of an Audi 90 IMSA GTO, just skip to 1:38. Oh and turn the volume up :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. MJP10

MJP10 Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah appreciate that - never heard it myself with limited irl experience (more concentrating on not dying/killing other people). Then again I could also sit in full race overalls with the heating up at home and sweat my man bits off but I’m happy to forego some irl v sim comparisons for more comfort, or in the audio/wall reflection sound - entertainment. In the grand scheme of things though I agree it’s not a major deal - just a lovely added extra that I personally find enjoyable

9. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Seems quite a distorted sound though

10. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

True but you get an idea of the raw brutality of that beast. PC2 had an amazingly accurate mix btw, certainly among their best work.

11. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

As for realism
    Well said..:)
    A little more pls.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah I wish the sound was better. I believe they have to use a sound from a car already in game. Not sure which one they are using currently for the mod but I think the Porsche 962 or is it the 911 GT1 would be the closest. Not at my gaming PC at the moment to check.

But I will take what we can get and I hope VRC can bring some of their prototypes over as well and maybe someone can do a Ferrari pack as I am not hopeful Reiza will get that license

13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

There's nothing more game-immersion killing than reality. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

This is in VR gaming, not sure what you mean external cameras. I am not using any cameras...it's in VR mode and all I know is that before the update, the sound reflection was pronounce and you can hear the roaring of the engine near the wall. After the update, there is none. If it's not there, I considered it a "removed" because I am not feeling any effects. As CrimsonEminence stated:
    "The wall reflection sound was not scaling with engine sound volume though. The effect still happens."

What they need is 100% reflection of the engine volume or at least a much higher number even for setting volume at minimal for the engine sound.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Sound reflection does occur in RL, no matter the car / engine / exhaust, etc. It may be more or less obvious in certain cases, the driver may be unaware of it for various reasons but, it is real.

It's always best to include a dedicated slider for special sound effects, imo. That way, personal preferences can be satisfied for more players.

• Agree Agree x 9
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

OK, so perhaps the reflections that are working fine in normal mode are not working in VR? I am sorry, I cannot personally check that. Could others who use VR please confirm if this is the case.

Or, you , @reptilexcq, could simply switch to non-VR to test it yourself. If it turns out it is missing in VR, we can submit a bug report to that effect.

17. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I only play in VR and when it first came out the sound reflection was more pronounced then it is now and I really enjoyed it. It is still there now but it's much much lower then it was.

What comes to mind the most is the last tire wall on the left side of Auto Club Speedway before the start / finish. I used to really hear the reflection quickly as I drove by that before. Now it is still there it's just toned down a good amount and I have the engine vol all the way up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

You can notice it in every tunnel, parking garage parking in the world with even the lowest power road car. Don't try to tell us it does not exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MJP10

I only play in VR too and agree about levels* but would this be a VR specific thing though? isnt the camera(or view) the same as on a flat monitor, just that we get to control where it points through room tracking, its only affecting picture though so the audio wouldnt change would it? Or is it because of spatial 3D audio that if we turn our heads we might hear audio clearer in one direction because of the way we are facing and thats affecting it?

Edit* I agree about levels but can confirm I can definitely hear reverb still increase the closer I get to the walls, just a little low if I was to give feedback

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. MJP10

I was thinking he meant irl racing driver... yes I certainly hear it driving a road car... tunnels, bypasses, barriers, practically everything(large) you hear with windows open and drive fast and close enough to it

Dont test the theory too much though as you wont be able to see too well behind after......