1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.3.3 & Racin´ USA Pt3 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Now thats a pretty good angle! I find with the Caterham the back tires never leave the road, its the fronts that come up, this seems to be a more balanced flight!

2. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

That's exactly right. The Silvia is extremely, savagely quick, but its flight characteristics are actually very forgiving.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Add 3-4 ramps to a track, adjust track limits, FCY every 3-4 laps and you effectively have the Stadium Super-truck format.

I personally love their more obscure layouts. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Cool video, thanks for sharing.

It always makes me chuckle watching motorsports like these (also monster truck jams), they never bother putting real body work on because they know it is just going to get wrecked, even without contact the monster trucks just shake themselves apart with the force of the landings.

Can't wait for the extreme pack. :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Some good suspension right here:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Hopefully these trucks will return. Will make fun MP, tho!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

[.edit

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

What?:p

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. lianjieyiqie

lianjieyiqie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

20221207235659_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Demeisen

Bad news! The Daci...I mean, the Ferrari FXX-K (pronounced Fxxxxxxxxxxxxxk-ing Hell), doesn't leave the road :(. On the positive side though, it does become so unsettled that it instantly attempts to spear into the right-hand Armco instead.
    ss181242-Exposure.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So I went back to that Caterham video and tried to recreate in AMS2. It was interesting, but I'm not sure what my conclusions are!

The following is a side-by-side video I've made (I did pick a July day in 2013 too).

To get close to the lap time I had to drive at 50-60%. I didn't feel anywhere near the limit at all. From the real-life video it looks like he is up at %90, but I think that is just the g-force/vibration/FOV making it look quick.

When driving at 50-60% the Caterham behaves very similarly. It was completely stable and planted the whole way round. I was still faster than him in most corners and exits too. AMS2 does look a bit quick in the straights.

How close to the limit was the real-life guy going? Does overdriving provide too much laptime in AMS2? I don't know, but doing a similar lap time definitely looks like it behaves very closely to real life. It did feel like I was going for a bit of a cruise rather than attacking a race track though.

(I also learnt that the gearbox sound is awful from the replay roof cam).

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

I'd be confident in saying yes, I think you get the best laptimes in AMS2 by overdriving it. The physics engine encourages you to push beyond the realistic limit. You could overdrive the real car too, but you'd be slower. In AMS2 I think you're faster (in some cars at least, I think the Super V8's will kill you much over the limit).

Problem is, if you dial it back too much, you risk ending up like iRacing. Which just kills you over the limit (which isn't realistic either and even less fun). Being able to dance on the limit is the most exhilarating to me.

Great comparison vid btw.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  14. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi Guys,
    Has anyone had a FCY period longer than a single lap? (i.e. the same lap that triggered the FCY).
    I feel like i used to before the latest update, however i only ever get these really fast FCY periods now?

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Demeisen

Talking of the Nordschleife (which we sort of were), here's some great footage of the 1971 GP (Jackie Stewart on the winner's step of course!). Go off the track and you're straight into head-sized rocks and exposed, raised concrete slabs...

Those were the days. Can't wait for our version!

• Like Like x 5
  16. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This very thing has been on my mind for the past few days. I renewed my iRacing sub because a buddy of mine is starting a race team (IRL, not virtual), and the car they'll be racing has just been released. *Let's just say, it doesn't feel great. There's a massive physics issue, the same "how dare you slip a tire" physics model,* and a TC/governor ripped right out of a cheap rental kart. The base car is a highly toted "sportscar" that reviewers are constantly drifting in their videos. While I know the racing slick is obviously going to be more "peaky" than the street tire, this feels weird.

I don't really care if a car is 100% lined up with its real counterpart, it just has to be close enough. While I agree AMS2 maybe too far on the "side of slip," at least I find the car can be pushed. Maybe I'm having a bit of an existential breakdown over tire slip. I swear I've been looking up onboards and comparing slip angles on every series I've run in there for the past week.

*Edit: after doing some testing the issue isn't AS bad as I initially wrote. With TC disabled it's easier to drive, but it had a nasty physics bug causing rollovers in low speed corners. I didn't feel that issue in my latest test, but it still suffers from the "uncatchable iRacing snap."

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It depends on the length of the race if the FCY happens before the last few laps, it depends if you are close to race end and how long the tracks is (Nords for example).
    In all these cases FCY is usually reduced by one lap as far as I know

18. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Cheers mate.

I agree, you want to go over the limit and not die. Maybe you should lose a bit more momentum from sliding. Either through the physics or by having to get out of the throttle a bit more.

As I said, driving that lap felt like a Sunday drive. Flat out is much more fun!

19. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Great video. I’d love to get the GPL version (before they made the track “safer”) in AMS2 even more. Such a great atmosphere (pure nature without artificial barriers).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

The Stockcars 1999 do not work anymore since latest build. Game crashes to desktop when loading a race.

Edit: Works on ovals but not on non ovals.

• Agree Agree x 6