1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.3.3 & Racin´ USA Pt3 Officially Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I want to know why the AI sometimes drives like they don’t know where the driver is. I was on the cooldown lap and an AI drove in to me whilst I mounted an apex at the chicane in IMS

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Elcid43

Elcid43 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Might want to ask Lance Stroll that :D

• Funny Funny x 7
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Cooldown lap AI can be quite rudimentary and unaware, i agree.
    Also its speed in cooldown lap isn't necessarily "cooldown pace" you could say - such things are still on the list of things to do for the future though!

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

While I think that you do have a point regarding that 20 years have passed and hardware has moved on, I think there is a bit of stagnation in the game side of things regarding this.

While the CPUs have improved both in terms of IPC and speeds, the biggest thing is the increase of cores and threads per unit. And it feels like games, specially sims, have failed to take advantage of it, for whatever reasons it may be (justified or not, I cannot say, I'm not knowledgeable enough in terms of software development).

IIRC there isn't a single simracing title on the market that can take advantage of all cores of a CPU, the workload is not divided in enough threads for fully exploiting the capabilities of present day hardware. This is not exclusive to simracing though: most games out there don't do this either, and this is why single core perfomance (and overclocking) are king when it comes to gaming perfomance of a PC, which is also why you never see hardware guides for gaming recommending an i7 or an i9 in the Intel side of things: you are more than covered with the K version of an i5, and you won't see improvements unless the game in question has multithreading truly implemented (again IIRC, some titles of the Battlefield franchise were the only ones taking advantage of this).

This is also why, until AMD released the Ryzen 5, all discussions about best CPU in gaming gravitated towards Intel, no matter how good AMD did in multithreading environments. Yes, way better in terms of encoding audio and video, compressing files, and all the stuff that is truly multithreaded. But when it came to gaming, AMD usually lost the edge against Intel because of the latter's single core punch, plus the overclocking possibilities. And they regained that edge back with the Alder Lake series. Remains to be seen if AMD fights back again in the single core side of things with the Ryzen 7 series.

It's probable (cannot say with certainty) that iRacing has managed to put AI on a separate thread and have an exclusive core manage it, meaning that it can advance the quality of the simulation without interfering with what it has had before, because it simply used hardware capability that has always been there, just sitting and unused.

We would probably see a big leap in terms of quality if next gen sim titles could be programmed in a way that all the data could be separated in as multiple threads as possible, improving the complexity of all the models involved in real time. But I guess it's much easier said than done.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. donaldd

donaldd BANNED BANNED

Yeah I understand what you are trying to suggest.
    To try to explain why its almost impossible for a racing game to use same physics (and specially the TM) for both player and AI bots - today!
    And I know too that not many racing games use more than a few cores.
    But instead of explaining this issue away I just found this graphic showing how the single core performance have raised from 2005 to 2021.
    From 500 to 3500 in benchmark score is pretty much me think :)
    So I dont think that iRacing need to use some extra cores just to be able to offer same physics and TM in player and AI cars.;)

Oh and good old NR2003 was even launced some years before 2005:whistle:
    Evolution of Single-threaded x86 CPU Performance
    single core.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

I'm not sure how true this is now, consoles and PC's have many cores now and it's a common development practice. Older engines likely won't support it, but I'd be super confident Madness Engine does. I'm sure older engines like RaceRoom aren't which is why they hit CPU bottlenecks.

7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Seta tyre model only uses 4 cores for physics (one per tyre) and I don't think the AI physics get to use any more than those same 4 cores. Which is why the AI and player physics break down when you run too many AI...

8. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

If you have more than 4 cores why would you run A.i. physics on the same cores as the tyres? (Maybe just a hangover from when ME was first released a few years back). I've never noticed physics breakdown in AMS2, I have in AC which is known to have CPU bottlenecks. I read that it's single thread heavy.

9. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

To my knowledge, it is not true that the iRacing's AI uses the same physics as human drivers. From what data do you claim that?

Fellow iRacing user, I challenge you to setup an AI race in an oval short track and try to wreck the car in front of you with a bump and run maneuver. Good luck derailing that train.

As I've said many times in this forum, I still think iRacing AI is the best AI in the market. AMS2 is not in a bad spot though. AI has been the Achilles heal of modern racing sims. AMS2 AI can be improved a lot, of course (so iRacing AI, btw), but I think it is more like a matter of "refinement of behavior", not physics. I don't care the laws of physics they follow, I want them to behave in a realistic way. Of course this means mimicking things implemented in the model the human follows, such as drafting, aeropush and so on and so forth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. donaldd

donaldd BANNED BANNED

Are you sure you mean this?
    Because I would evaluate it as what is normally called mutually exclusive.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Another example: Beam.NG (from their September update):

In order to improve performance, we have added simplified traffic versions for several cars, which come with reduced physics details, which will help with performance without sacrificing the visual quality.
    As @CrimsonEminence explains above, a similar process is used in AMS 2 where certain elements of the physics are simplified. According to many who use iRacing, the very impressive AI is not using the same physics, at least for collisions. We already discussed the disappointing AI in AC (and ACC to perhaps a lesser extent) that shares physics with the player.

If using player physics solved all the AI issues we love to hate, every sim would do it. If using player physics somehow informed the AI where and how to drive--?!?!??!?!?!? How is this connected in any way to the "Intelligence" part of AI? The equivalent would be to say everyone who plays the most realistic car online in multiplayer suddenly can drive like Lewis Hamilton, but when we all use the "worst" car we drive like amateurs.

Sorry, but I still completely disagree with your logic.

AI programming is and always will be a trade-off. Everything from graphics levels of details, physics levels of details, the allowable number of AI, the sophistication of their pathfinding and race craft and other factors needs to be traded off against the total computing power available. That total is best used giving the player the most accurate and best possible experience. There is not sufficient computing resources to do it all, so every dev will make trade-offs as they see fit. There is no free lunch and AI using the player physics is not a panacea nor is it even related to the intelligence of the AI.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. donaldd

donaldd BANNED BANNED

Do you honestly think I would use time to argue against such non sense?
    Because the first sentence here completely contradicts everybody in this thread arguing that it is impossible to have the same physics and TM for human and bots.
    And the rest of the quote is just a bunch of "strawman" argumentations.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2022
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. CrimsonEminence

@Racinglegend1234

A heads-up (but no worries) - Sharing direct rip links to pCars2 tracks isn't allowed on this forum folks you may do so on external platforms though if you really want to. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Racinglegend1234

Already got told of twice, but won’t do it again. My mistake

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. CrimsonEminence

All good, no worries! :)

16. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

You're not allone, mate. :D

17. Racinglegend1234

Thanks. Happy I didn’t get banned like the time when I did some self promotion during a QnA with an ex F1 driver

18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Physics developers have stated that running advanced physical modeling of just a single tire, can bring super high-end PCs to their knees. Of course, Racing-sim physics and tire models are not nearly that advanced but . . . it's not hard to imagine surpassing limitations pretty quickly, especially considering lower-spec systems.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Ricardokil

Ricardokil Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Friend, I will not even answer these things anymore, even because people appear here wanting to teach life lessons without even knowing the other side, all because of a game, settings are personal, what is good for one may be bad for another, but what point is that you can put the best FFB configuration in Need for Speed that I will continue to find the physics bad, this is my point of view in relation to some cars np AMS2, you can disagree or not but never come to want to teach someone a lesson without even knowing her ok? thanks.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Racinglegend1234

If you don’t find help in the forum about what you say, find it in your way. Nobody is stopping you