1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.5.2 & New DLC Packs RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 30, 2022.

1. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think 2021 went without incident so they rested on their laurels and ignored issues like DDoS

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Thank god! And that is more than right to me.
    Ahhh,i miss the good old days of GPL and Nascar 3.
    BS E-sport kills the whole fun...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

It's one of the many reasons I keep harping on about the needed improvements to AMS2's MP code...

It's got the content to be an endurance sim racing platform... And a strong MP experience is the only way to experience a simulated endurance race...

Given that we are still at the very least a decade away from the average person owning a PC with the computing abilities to have a single thinking AI, let alone a full grid, a strong MP code is the only way to experience a properly simulated endurance event in the near future... Without the ability to game the AI...

Even if Reiza have to start from scratch with a new MP code the work at the end of that time will be worth it... So much promise for the sim racing world just stuck behind the shabby predictions of the p2p MP system...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

They still had many disconnects but no server crashes due to "attacks"...

5. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Something that is forgotten about during all the discussion about AI and simracing in general is that perfection isn't gonna happen. It's about checks and balances, like building a character in a RPG. Not even Iracing is perfect, take it from someone who's tried their AI it really isn't. If you take the same type of deep dive into Iracing's AI in the same way you guys have done (not saying that's a bad thing to do to be clear) you'd still see plenty of problems just a smaller number of them. And even where Iracing is near perfect there are still moments when it fails. I remember a few years ago the 24 hours of Daytona got delayed because the of server issues and the from what I remember the communication about the whole thing was awful. This isn't to say that we should accept what happened at the virtual LeMans, but to remind ourselves that Iracing isn't this perfect sim for both AI and online people make it out to be.

It is obvious Iracing isn't perfect but people certainly treat it that way whenever it comes up. Not only has it had a massive head start but they've had their share of controversies. This is why I don't think most of this stuff is helpful, because not only does every sim go through it but the internet responds the same every time this awful and bitter hostility. The YouTubers all at once turn on their cameras and rant about how simracing is going to crap making digs at other sims for completely unrelated things. Rfactor 2 deserves the criticism, but let's be real most of this is just people pointing and laughing because something failed. Also making up a conspiracy about them faking a DDoS attack does nothing but fuels this internet toxicity.

In the end sometimes crap happens, you expect the organizers to be able to deal with that crap as it happens. It is very obvious that did not go well during the virtual 24 hours of LeMans. Instead of pointing and laughing, or speculating on conspiracies we should feel maybe an ounce of empathy while still being direct and honest with our criticisms. It's really annoying for me because I can't help but feel bad for the folks who were apart of the dev team even though it is partly their fault. I think it's that lack of good faith that bugs me.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Scar666

This is at the crux of what I meant by "Given that we are still at the very least a decade away from the average person owning a PC with the computing abilities to have a single thinking AI, let alone a full grid"...

A lot of people's PC's struggle with the concepts of tyre models... And as simulation modelling gets deeper and richer the space left for AI becomes smaller and smaller...

And we've seen what happens when real life racing drivers speak out against it... It's a complete culture of silence about the negative...

Those YouTubers are incentivised to create click bait content and nothing works better than making fun of something or being negative about something...

I do get the way you feel here, in a lot of ways you have to feel for the anyone employed in the sim racing sphere, from developers and testers to those setting up these big esports events... It looks bad for everyone involved and makes a mockery out of something that so many have a deep passion for...

And whilst saying that I do understand that I'm also able to see the other side... With MSGS snapping up all of these exclusivity deals and doing next to nothing with them... 1 flop of a NASCAR game and some rF2 content is not a good look when there are multiple games waiting to be developed by that company... And because of those deals many people want the demise of MSGS so those deals are nullified and the hope that they won't be monopolised by one company again can be more than the pipe dream that it is a the moment...

If that NASCAR game was a basic port of what rF2 had with fixes for the oval rules it wouldn't of been a flop and the lack of the BTCC game wouldn't of been seen as a negative as they could be waiting until they get it right... Therefore the discourse around MSGS would be a lot better than it is... MSGS is playing the role of dictator and not fulfilling it's promises...

On top of that there's the S397 side of the coin... Who as a young development company have taken many wrong turns since taking over the rF2 science project... In their early days I could give them time and had far more patience for the rF2 project than I have had for the past 3 years as I knew they weren't as experienced as ISI... I was gladly surprised to hear they finally nailed the AI bug that had been introduced under their watch... But due to their past I don't expect things like this to give them a smooth year after it's fix, it's slow progress with them if it's any progress at all... And something like this new up/down stream throttling code was just waiting to be introduced to take those 2 steps back that S397 seem able to do after taking a step forwards...

At this point I feel the same about S397 as I do EA in many ways... They are what they are now and I shouldn't raise my expectations for them...

7. Scar666

Back onto the topic of AI...

I now know why I see so many complain about the AI ramming them off the track, especially in the braking zones...

The p2p prediction + AI detections coding = crash

I ran 2 races today in lobbies with AI, I wasn't the host in either... In both races I was rear ended by the AI in the braking zones of corners that I know the AI usually knows what I'm doing on and doesn't behave like I'm not there...

Also there's this magical Nissan... lol
    20230117150350_1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  8. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

9. TRCB

TRCB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Any news yet on the Bathurst release?

10. Scar666

Wait until Renato lets us know the staff are back at work first... It'll probably be planned for the 26th, but I'd expect it in late February as they haven't shared any screens of it yet... That way if I get it earlier than that I'll be happy... ;)

11. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

They released the TTOW results yesterday which could mean they are back

• Like Like x 1
  12. TRCB

TRCB Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Aah so the usual "48th of January" type deal ;)

in other news was taking a cruise around Spa, seeing three inches of the car in front's undercarraige dissapear into the tar and its wing clip into its tyres was a little immersion breaking.
    Screenshot 2023-01-17 175133.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bart Hendrikx

Bart Hendrikx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

What does TTOW mean?

14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Time Trial of The Week. :oops:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Bart Hendrikx

Bart Hendrikx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Bedankt!

16. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

:p

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Unless it's GT3 at Monza, in that case it would mean "time trial of the weak". :)

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Wasn't it GT4 @ Spa just yesterday?

19. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

20. Scar666

That's pretty much what the report is stating...

There's a chance that the source codes could go public allowing other people to make their own version of rF2 with the exact latest spec engine that S397 has...

If true I say good on to the staff who are behind it... They deserve their pay and if MSGS can afford to buy the Indycar licence they can afford to pay their staff... Or risk losing all their paid for propriety knowledge...