1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

So basically league edition BOP over a realistic representation? Well thats not what i wanted to hear unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

From a realistic point of view that's probably not wanted but when racing against the AI and real people this is a good decision. We know that nearly everybody will choose the fastest car of a class when racing online which results in everybody using the Sauber C9. As a result we have a field full of Saubers which is boring because the other cars are also great and it is what classes consisting of more than one car make interesting > variety and options.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Richard Wilks

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Richard Wilks

Well there are no words that i can use to convey how i despise that. I call it the open lobby hero syndrome. You see, once upon a time, before open lobbies were a thing, nobody complained that the GPL cars were not "balanced". People in leagues would put the quick guys in the slower cars, and thats it. So now basically what you are doing is making a fantasy class, effectively putting glory in an internet race above full representation.

Sure some people want that. And i respect Renato's decision. But I am not one of them.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

This is true, and I still haven’t tried the new release candidate to see if the issue was solved, but even using no time acceleration with real weather triggered to me crazy changes on my custom championship to the point of being immersive breaking. As an example, when racing in Cascavel Jan 2022 ( can remember exact date), I started the race on clear blue skies and in less than half a lap it started raining and in the following lap the track had so much puddles it was undriveable, in a space of around 50 sec time. I know this is about to be fixed, and I am very much looking forward to!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It is a championship issue as you say. I have also experienced it. Real weather and championships cause rapid weather changes. In a single race it behaves as expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

I can't comment on possible bug with championships, but whenever real weather is used with "sync to race" it's also accelerated... And the weather pattern you describe is exactly what one should expect with "sync to race" selected...

As " Sync to Race" forces all 24 slots into whatever length of race that is selected...

In single race, test day or online real weather without any acceleration, including sync to race, works perfectly from my experience...

The only issue with real weather when set up properly is that it appears that if the practice or qualy session overlaps with the race session in the time of day the weather is different each load even if the times of day are the same inbetween each load... It's almost like the weather is selected randomly from throughout the year... But the transitions are natural...

Maybe "sync to race" is stuck in the on position in the championship mode...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

best thing would be to have an option to choose between realistic or (almost) equel performance, as i agree with @Fabian Biehne that people tend to pick the fastest car, especially if Reiza are planning to do scheduled ranked races, things need to be balanced, otherwise there is no point in running a group C race, and you would be better of doing a Sauber race.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Scar666

The problem with the Group C's isn't BOP, it's the fact we are stuck with short races in them due to the AI and MPs shortcomings...

Given the ability to stretch it's legs properly the advantages of the Porsche it could be a really deadly race weapon given how stable it is...

The other issue is that the Corvette, although a nice addition, really doesn't belong in Group C when it's a GTP car... I'd be nice if we could have a realistic Group C and a BOP'd fake GTP...

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I totally get where you're coming from and basically agree with you but 95% of the people you'll find online will pick the fastest car. Just have a look at Iracing: every season there's a GT3 car which is quickest and thus people are making this series single-class. It's a shame.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Scar666

ACC and iRacing show you just how impossible BOP truly is... They are canned experiences where there's no teams making lighter screws to move their weight around with ballast... And yet BOP is still a dream... The old league editions for rfactor 1 are a bit too all the same, but that's the only way for true BOP... Zero differences in the physics... Which ruins a lot of classes...

Given me realism and a set of ballast controls for admins and championship players... Don't waste time BOPing things for the sake of those who want BOP and ruining the simulation element as a result... Just give them ballast options or a fake BOP class...

• Agree Agree x 9
  13. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

When creating a custom championship and selecting real weather, it grays out the weather progression option and sets it to be equal to the time progression setting. It is not possible to use sync to race with real weather in a custom championship.

(Unless the UI shows incorrect information. Also, I'm on the releasecandidate branch so technically there could have been undocumented changes to this, but I *think* that's how it used to work pre-update.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This 1 million times.

10 min / 20 mins / 30 mins "races"... they are good for karts and other lower end classes.

Take the current F1 Ferrari. Great and fast car, for about 20 laps. After that, its tyres are dead and long gone. Alonso will eat Leclerc every race if Ferrari doesn't fix that. Is Ferrari the faster car? No. An F1 race is 305 km long. Would we see only Ferraris in online lobbies? Most likely yes, since lobbies races are 35 km long at best...

So BoP'ing things that shouldn't be BoP'ed based on how people are creating online lobbies is outright wrong, imo. You are killing the very idea of simulating reality, unnecessarily.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Scar666

So my theory that it could be stuck on "sync to race" in championship mode could hold water then... Because there are reports of it still happening when there's no acceleration in championship mode...

If it's not selectable then the bug could be simply that real weather is always synced to the race when time acceleration isn't used...

EDITED: As I just re-read that and now my post makes more sense...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  16. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Thanks for the info, but in my case I never use the sync to race, because I don’t like the behaviour since pcars2 days. In my specific case, this is not the issue. I will probably be able to test a new custom championship over the weekend , will use exact same date and hour to try to spot if the behaviour will change.

17. Richard Wilks

I agree with this, because even if you would put the same theoretical physics in all the cars, the mere fact that they have differences in wheelbases and track widths can skew performance towards one car, and people will find that out, and still all use that car. It's always a moving target, no matter what.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

When time acceleration isn't used, it's "Real Time" for both time progression and weather progression.

19. JayBee

JayBee Active Member

I like that idea, just simulate the cars accuractely and give ballast options. Allow single player setup and online servers to enforce ballast options.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is true generally, but in championship mode you still get rapid changing weather.