1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

I'm surprised that a simracing developer hasn't already implemented a SAAS model to make a mod-focused title more feasible. For a relatively-affordable monthly or annual subscription fee, the developer could focus on the underlying structure and quality of the sim (graphics, physics, AI, netcode, online race scheduling and competitions, etc.) and maybe supply some generic vehicles and tracks as guideposts. Primarily provide ongoing tools and technical support (professional grade, more than we have now) to the mod community, who would end up doing most of the work on the content. Official content could be added as permitted by the open-nature of the sim (i.e., whatever the developer and licensed manufactuer can negotiate). For my part, I would gladly sacrifice one of the many, increasingly-pointless streaming services on my television for a subscription to modding nirvana. Additionally, this could open up the possibility of a marketplace where modders charge for content worthy of the price, a small portion of which would go to the developer (note: this part would be constrained by the desire for authentic liveries, etc.--no way to charge for those without a license). Alpha builds could be free, betas free or purchased one-time at a much reduced price, and a full release version might require a certain level of engagement (downloads, ratings, reviews, etc.) to help influence the final asking price. Beta testers who help critique and develop community mods would also receive discounts for their contributions. Various brands could sponsor content-creation contests. Balancing quality and economics would determine whether this model would work in the long term--but it has the possibility of being rewarding to all parties involved.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Not wanting to sound rude but - devs of every sim should focus on the basic qualities of a racing game without the need of a monthly subscription ! AMS2 specifically already has a huge list of dlc packs and the full season pass for a hefty price.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. john Ellis

Nothing rude about it--Reiza already made their AMS2 business-model bed. That ship has sailed, and they have already received my--ahem--hefty purchase price years ago. Pardon for my off-topic ramblings....

4. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Isn't that what GTRR is setting out to do (and Rennsport too)?

I think Reiza has a good chance to pull a Kunos with AMS2 (i.e. long sales going into the distant future while the focus shifts to new projects). They are already in RF2 which is good, as the more people that experience their work the better.

5. john Ellis

Based on $MSGM share prices, Reiza may soon be able to buy the rF2 franchise in its entirety....

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

Down to 57 cents a share agan, based on the original price,

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would it include the MSG licenses thought?

8. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What happened Feb 1st that it spiked to $33?

9. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

Shenanigans to boost the price, methinks. Going through the last call transcript it´s gold standard BS.

10. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

The stock is heading to under a dollar

11. Dylan Hale

Or give us a fictonal interpation of a indycar, such as a what if had the 2.4l hybrid engines worked with a slightly different chassis.

Or they could go full hoss and give me a 2007-2008 Champcar

Or they could go full tard, and give us the Deltawing Indycar concept.

What I'm saying is, there is options

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. john Ellis

How difficult is it to get an Offenhauser license? Or the Milwaukee Mile? Just get the cars and tracks on an individual basis—modders can add the AI and liveries as needed to simulate various seasons already.

13. Dylan Hale

Okay, so I don't know about the track, But Offenhauser has been out of buisness for a long time right? Does anyone own that trademark? After so long of dissuse I think it becomes part of the public domain?

14. john Ellis

Maybe Fred C. Offenhauser’s company can give us a lead:
    Offenhauser - The Greatest Name In Racing

regarding licensing—we should call the phone number on the webpage and ask! The original Offy engine was sold off by the original Fred, I think.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dylan Hale

Oh lol. I had no idea!

16. john Ellis

Your original thought was closer to the truth: That post of mine turned out to be a bit of adrenaline-fueled ignorance on my part: Fred C. Offenhauser founded the present company after the war. His father and Miller were the Indy engine guys.

17. kingkoenig

kingkoenig Active Member

MSG posted losses of 36M$ in 2022 and claims it doesn't have enough cash to last the year. Unless they find someone stupid enough to invest in them, it won't last the year. There's a good chance that the BTCC, WEC and Indycar licenses will be up for grabs in a few months.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chillblast

Chillblast Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hate to be that guy but there no chance msg go under or their licenses go to other devs. I'm pretty sure they already have an investor lined up that will bail them out for another year until this cycle repeats itself.

It may be scam, but i wish people would just accept that msg and their licenses aren't going anywhere anytime soon and move on with their lives.

• Like Like x 3
  19. kingkoenig

kingkoenig Active Member

*sigh* sadly, yes. As P.T. Barnum famously said: "There's a sucker born every minute."

• Like Like x 2
  20. john Ellis

Although it would be a pity if Reiza’s own work on their current-spec IndyCar never sees the light of day, the newly-released IndyCar mod already eclipses MSG’s feeble attempts in the genre.

• Agree Agree x 2