Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

There are ways of masking your set up so it's corrupted... So I wouldn't take the TT's as gospel of set up, but there is some common traits to good set ups in AMS2... :whistle:

But when you add the rain to the idea of making a set up it completely changes what a set up is like... It makes the one default set up go bad pretty quickly...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  2. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well in my case I feel they are mostly good, I tend to only change the brake pressure and can be quite competitive with the default setups, can I be faster with a custom setup? Of course, everybody can be faster with a setup made for their driving style. I dont think a TT leaderboard is a good barometer to judge how good the custom setups are on any sim.

Mind you I still havent driven all the cars in the game a lot to get a solid judgement, but the only one that felt pretty bad was the F-USA in Indy, had to change some diff settings.
    But aside from that, the others I have tried work pretty well with the default setups.

• Like Like x 4
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Two things:
    1. There are nothing 100% right/wrong here because there exists actually people who fits the defaults. A rare race :D
    2. The TT LBs is the closest thing we have to an objective measurement of peoples/setups speed.

AfterThought ;): Comming from iRacing then most race setups was derived from TT setups with some minor tweaks of as example fuel, engine and brake cooling. Oh and tire pressure :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  4. BrunoB

I dont think I fully understand this comment.
    To the best of my knowledge then the game does check (and reject) if you try to input some illegal or "corrupted" values.
    Do you mean anything else with your use of the word "corrupted"?

5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I think he means that you can do something so it seems like you are using the standard setup, but you are using a custom setup

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Or it occasionally hides setups if the replay isn't available.

I still wish there was a system to share setups with friends in a lobby like in PC2 or iRacing. It would help when we run ovals to get everyone on the same pace.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. BrunoB

Honestly this is the first time I hear this.
    And until I hear/see some evidence then Im a bit (hehe very) sceptical that its possible.
    Conserning the forced sharing of setups in AMS2 I have several times said Im against it - and furthermore I consider it as a 100% amateurish part of this game.
    Its only helping casual gamers on their way to a quick fix of laziness :cool:

AfterThought: Im 100% pro a voluntary sharing of setups and replays (ofcourse). Voluntary is the keyword here. And I have good memories from my iRacing time of the setups I shared and recieved.
    But like some other users here able to cook good setups Im against being forced to deliver to gamers whose only effort is gimme gimme your work.:rolleyes:

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  8. BrunoB

AfterThought: :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Respectfully disagree...

I like that TT has ghosts and setups open to everyone, there's nothing to hide and no place to keep secrets. I understand not wanting to give your hard work away to the public, but I wouldn't feel like I deserved a top TT time or a win if others didn't have access to the same tools. I can see your setup tweaks, you can see my braking points and lines. Access to that info forces everyone to push themselves harder. TT setups are also a great way for those wanting to learn car setup to analyze what works. I find it funny that many of the "hate defaults/don't share setup" crowd don't point people towards resources to help them learn setups. It's not the case with everyone in that camp, but being afraid of a "casual gamer" using the same setup seems bizarre to me.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BrunoB

Thats perfectly OK with me - still Respectfully.:)
    But to the contrary of you It gives me great satisfaction to be on top in so many TT LBs with my fully own created setups :D
    And to the contrary of you (and probably some others) I feel I have cheated the few times I have topped with a "stolen" setup.
    Hehe thats the reason I have allways managed to beat such a "cheated" top position with a faster time (and position) running my own creation.
    Using others creations without their permission isnt my kind of style.:cool:

AfterThought: In RL pro racing drivers and mechanics would slapping themselves on the thighs laughing if you asked exactly how they have set their car up. And in a way I use this as a simulation of RL racing and tuning a car. Im not a casual gamer wanting others to do my work. OK?:whistle:

11. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Your attitude is very selfish. What's wrong with someone being faster with your setups. Congratulate him and be a fair loser and be proud that he was so quick with your setup:)

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Actually, here are a couple of "Real Life" examples that suggest quite the contrary:

In the 1986 British Grand Prix at Brands Hatch, Nigel Mansell beat Nelson Piquet after switching to the spare Williams that had been set up specifically for Nelson that weekend (only 1 spare car available per team in those days) following Laffite’s crash at the start. Nigel has, at times, referred to that race as “the race of my life” ... especially in how it elevated Mansell's self-belief.

Also, Prost was routinely irritated when his teammate Senna would simply copy Prost’s setups and subsequently beat him with it.

There’s more than one way to gain an advantage over competitors. Sometimes that entails a special setup; other times, a psychological edge gained through sheer talent. Anyone out there who has actually posted the top time in any category in AMS2 can probably gift their record-setting setup with the entire world--and then go out and beat almost all of them again while being handicapped by using the default setup. Anyone left over from that round can then go head-to-head with the champ who also gets to use his record-setting setup.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 9
  13. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

We should remember why that is, it's because they get money from placing above other drivers. There is a monetary benefit to be had by keeping it a secret, especially when that prize money could be the difference between closing up shop forever and climbing your way up. That isn't the case for AMS 2, you don't get money from being #1 on the time trial leaderboard, it's just seeing your name in that number one spot. Don't take this as me saying that it isn't an understable reason not to share, because I totally get it. Just that I find the monetary aspect to be a better reason.

ByTheWay: if you want my actual opinion I think keeping secrets will do very little to help the sim, just makes it harder for new players to succeed. A good setup won't make a new player vault into the top 100, you're never gonna be that good if you just use setups from the internet, it'll just give you a better baseline to fine tune it towards your specific needs. Also please take this ending in jest, just having a bit of fun here!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. BrunoB

So you think so. Thats ok with me. But thats just an oppinion. Yours. And why should I care?
    Hehe check MOST of the formula LBs on MOST tracks and then return with your implied postulate that someone would be faster (just because they used) my setups.;)

AfterThought: They would probably have a hard time to do it on the many tracks/cars where Im topping. Just saying - with some slight bragging :p

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. BrunoB

Oh man - thats just my cup of the.:p
    Hehe eventhough I dont like Prost because he behaved pretty unfair against my hero Rene Arnoux when they were team "mates" - and Prost wanted Arnoux to let him by in the seasons final race.;)
    Guess what Arnoux reaction was:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. BrunoB

Good man Luci - but we are all having a bit of fun here. Right?:D
    But I think there is a crucial thing wrong in your argumentation that AMS2 would be saved for a lot of new users if I gave Brunobs setups free.:)

Because my setups are made for my fully handcolled non FFB wheel (SRW-S1) where I have to gear down instead of using the brake before corners.
    So I guess most people would either change the setups a lot or change their driving technic a lot to even get round on tracks faster than a grandma.:p

AfterThought: Its by principle that I dont want to be forced to give away my setups.
    Not because I fear anything:p

Rear_extraLarge30prc.png

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

:p:D:D:p:D:D :pGod save us from evil setups.:p:D:D:p:D:D:p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, credit where it's due, you must have some Jedi training to be fast using that wii controller :p.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think that wheel was brilliant and I wish they'd make an updated version with modern sensors, there has to be a bigger market for something like that today than there was 10+ years ago.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Both winning points here...

Having set ups shared in TT when there's no other way to share them in this sim is great... And for me TT is the perfect place to do that until the option to share during a MP session is added...

And having them forced to share unless you jump through a hoop to corrupt it is an awesome way to help other racers get better at their craft... It's not like having a ghost there to help with lines, but it certainly helps by giving people a possible better fit than the crazy defaults... Set ups don't work for all whilst lines are far more beneficial to anyone looking to learn a track in TT mode... I find it weird that people don't complain more about their ghosts than their set ups...

TT isn't just a hot lap session in AMS2, it's also a way to improve competition in MP... So as it is it's a great mode even though that's not my thing as it's existence enhances my racing enjoyment... I've only done 5 TT full send sessions...

• Like Like x 3