1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I agree , it can be very helpful for newcomers . But even standard setups are excellent. Look at the current TTotW, the Passat has 2 people with standard setups in the top ten. Also the 1st place if I'm not mistaken. This is a good proof that standard setups work very well in Ams2. The rest, as always, is personal taste:)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Those are either corrupted via jumping through the hoops to hide your set up in TT or part of the lucky few who get on with the defaults...

Go on any MP lobby with forced defaults and you'll see most of the grid have spins and crashes that are the direct result of the set up being absolutely wrong for their driving styles...

I did find one default set up that worked for me recently, the ARC Camaro at the Österreichring where I could actually drive it and drive it fast and smooth...

Next race at Adelaide in the same car and I couldn't brake in a straight line for any of the hairpins and had many crashes...

Set ups are always subjective... But the reality of one set up for many tracks is that it'll only work for the minority of people at certain tracks in certain conditions...

3. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

Well, it only really proofs that the defaults works for some. Personally I always feel the need to do some tweaking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Yes, I personally adapt it to my personal taste as well. I think everyone who deals with this will use their personal setup. I just wanted to show that a standard setup can work well and it does in Ams2

5. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

Yeah no worries, I wasn't trying to prove you wrong.:)

I fully agree that the basic setup can be very good for some drivers, who knows can be that even for the majority of them.
    And there's always those freaks of nature who can drive fast even with a completely wonky setups and eyes shut.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Point taken - but actually as example the turning sensor is pretty advanced.
    It uses the same type of electronic turning sensor as mobile phones - with no moving parts.
    The 2 hand controlled thr/br are rather sturdy pots with a rather good resolution (pic).

As a positive story I bought 8 copies of this wheel to have some spareparts if the wheel did wear out.
    But actually in about 5 years I have only used 2 - so I wonder if I should sell about 4 on Ebay.
    Hehe because its impossible to get new copies they was sold for about $175+ the last time I checked. :p
    It can be seen the resolution is rather good. Turning (+- 1800), Thr/Br (+-512).
    So its my experience that if some mount to a table/frame is used this wheel is great.
    So you dont have to pity me - much :p

EDIT: "same type of electronic turning sensor as mobile phones". Called a gyro sensor ;)

SRW-resolution.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. BrunoB

If I understand you right then you think its a bit weird that people (like me) is rather relaxed if ones ghost from a TT "world record" is forced into the open.

I would have absolutely no problem if everybody could watch my TT ghosts.
    Mainly because a few people could learn something about driving lines - but also as an urgent point because checking a ghost it would be very easy to reveal if somebody in some way was cheating.
    I dont know if such cheating actually is possible in AMS2 but can remember from iRacing and (Raceroom?) that a few users became banned because it was easy to see that something was wrong with their grip and/or speed.:whistle:

8. BrunoB

The only thing this does prove is that there is always some people who are able to turn fast laps with weird setups.:)
    At least what I can see then the 4 drivers using default setups are not "corrupting" anything. OK?

TToW.jpg

9. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I know that the SRW is an actually decent piece of kit, but may I ask: have you considered upgrading? Nowadays there are several manufacturers building dedicated hardware aimed for people with mobility issues (which IIRC is why you use the SRW), and you could maybe get something even better and more suitable to you.

10. Scar666

The exact same things can be said about the set ups though... Having both helps weed those cheaters out...

For me there's more time in getting the line right than the set up... As you can have a set up that is perfect for lap times at one track for one person and give that to another person and either they have no idea how to drive with it or it just doesn't work for their driving style...

And that's all you'll be able to see if they did corrupt it... Either that or you can't download their set up...

11. BrunoB

Hehe as I said above its the first time I have heard this slightly conspiracy theory about people camouflaging their custom setups as default setups.
    But until ANY proof of this is shown up I dont believe it.:D

ByTheWay: I just found this picture :p

tinfoil.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Scar666

By the way translate my signature... :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. BrunoB

Thanks.
    But both because I know what I have but dont know what I possibly get - and also because its my honest oppinion that everything else will be more expensive.
    I guess you does think This man dont even have the advantage of FFB.
    But I can tell you that FFB does destroy any possibility of precision in turning the wheel. (pour moi)
    Because you got to know exactly the angle and movement of the wheel to be able to fully control turning, gearing, throttling and braking.
    Hehe at least if you wanna set reasonably fast laptimes.:D

Some years back I made a combi of the SRW and a Thrustmaster base.(pic).
    But it didnt work out because the FFB movements did distroy any finer finger control.

ByTheWay: It would probably work driving on ovals. But not on road tracks where you have to react to any unforseen events.

_SRW+adapter+T500_påsat_bagfra_klipShp_DPP_0018.jpg

14. BrunoB

Zum Glück bin ich verrückt
    Yeah - at least we can agree on that :whistle:

15. Gdude66

Gdude66 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

How crazy?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Scar666

Enough to never be bothered when someone thinks anything I say is crazy...

"Sane" people are boring... Think inside the box too often... lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

No doubt they will be more expensive, as those are custom built. I don't believe the SRW was done with any sort of disability in mind, it was thought as something much better than a gamepad, without resorting to a full system. It was a good idea, and Steelseries executed it beautifully.

But even taking FFB out of the equation, there could be some sort of combination that would work better for you, specially with what you said about having to separate the gear changing and braking. You probably have been inside this hobby for enough years to remember the TSW and ECCI 6000 bases. Those were high quality devices and standard setters, and both were non FFB.

Of course, if you don't have the budget or don't want to spend the money, and are a happy camper with the SRW, there is no need. I was just wondering if you did explore more current solutions, as there have been advancements, and your device is now more than 10 years old.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BrunoB

I think I explained this wrongly.
    Because the gear change, throttle and brake are (ofcourse) separated on the SRW wheel.
    But it has something to do with coordination of finger control of the levers of the 2 gear switches and the 2 analogue thr/br levers if you at the same time have to turn the wheel.:eek:
    And that is exactly what you have to do at the entrance of most corners on road tracks.

The real cons using a handcontrolled wheel.
    The real negative problem - and still without moaning like poor me :D - then the worst thing with a fully handcontrolled wheel is that the useable turning angle is extremely small before the fingers get twisted so you cannot control any of the 4 levers.
    The SRW has a reasonable max turning angle of +- 360 degree - but to keep control of the 4 levers you have to restrict the used angle to about +- 20 degr.
    And its probably because of this problem that any extra FFB "disturbance" is no go.:)

AfterThought: Its probably among other things because of these extra handicaps it gives some extra satisfaction being able to get high on some of the leaderboards:p

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Thanks for the expanded explanation. I guess that your setups then use really high steering angles to compensate the reduced range you have? Or maybe lots of negative front toe-in?

Overcoming any deficits and coming out victorious is always more rewarding :D like having troubles on the first lap and still coming through the field to win, a la Paul Tracy at Road America 2000 :D

Also, have you considered using bass shakers? I use two of them, and they are wonderful in giving me feedback separately from the steering wheel. You could improve immersion and have extra information on the grip limit (that works wonderfully on AMS2!) while not disturbing at all your current hardware and driving techniques :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. BrunoB

While we are killing time waiting for next update :D - I have a funny story conserning extreme secrecy of custom setups.
    Its from iRacing where not everybody does know that on top of licence class A there is an exclusive socalled Pro class where people are driving for price money.:cool:
    The competition is extremely hard and because the number of Pro licences are locked (very small) then a certain numbers mandatory have to be excluded every year(season?) to allow new qualified drivers into this exclusive league.

OK - and now the story.
    When I was a member of iRacing it was well known that I had created a MoteC telemetry app that were able to calculate the grip between different setups - objectively(!):eek:
    The only thing needed was that a driver did run a certain number of laps with the relevant setups.
    He just had to be able to stress/driving the car equally close to the car/grip limit in the different stints.
    Best was if he tried to set some kind of personal lap record every lap.
    For each stint (about 4-7 laps) the telemetry output of iRacing produced a file that was calculated by my MoteC app (pic).

When this became known in the forum some PMs "silently" began to drop into my inbox.
    It was from some of the pro drivers who would like to know which of their custom setups teoretically was able to give the highest grip numbers.
    I said they could just send me the telemetry output of laps driven with the relevant setups - and in the way described above.

But now come the funny part.
    All these pro drivers wanted to be absolutly sure that nobody else than me and themselves EVER saw these grip figures.
    And I should by some kind of garantee promise to delete the telemetry files just after the grip calculations were done.
    The files was absolutely not to be saved for later.:eek:
    They were afraid that some of their competitors got fingers in these telemetry files and then maybe were able to back engeneer to kind of copy of the used setup.
    Hehe about half of these pro drivers wasnt satisfied by my garantee and ended up not daring to send the telemetry files.:p:p

ByTheWay: A funny thing is that one of iRacings devs admitted that my MoteC app did actually work.
    It was a bit awkward because after an update I had made some noise by posting in the forum that something have been changed gripwise. According to my app
    Ofcourse several other members did use this to imply that my grip calculating app was a phoney - because nothing had been changed according to iRacing s official upd notes.
    But then after some time one of iRacings devs admitted they had secretly lowered the grip for a class of cars.
    Not much. But more or less exactly the percentage my apps calculations did show.:cool:
    You can probably guess that now "everybody" could suddenly feel this change.
    And was eager to post that they have had this suspicion for some time.:D

_GripCompare lap2-7klipklipTxt.png

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 5