1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.6.1 Officially Released - Now Updated to V1.4.6.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Considering the CART and US track focus I view the ovals as core part of the game. There are, however, no dirt cars, no dirt tracks. I don't get why this would be in the game, other than a "fun" factor.

Reiza is pushing out ca 12 tracks per year. My best serious guess at a wishlist would be for the core of the game 20-25 tracks and configurations at least (owing to the themes Reiza has focused on), meaning at least another 2 years in the making at the most optimistic scenario.

Should be part of the core:
    France, Circuit Paul Ricard 2024, 1988
    Hungary, Hungaroring 2024, 1989 (with chicane and without)
    Le Mans 24h 2023, 1988, 1971
    Le Mans Bugatti Circuit 2023
    Mexico, Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez 2024, 1988, 70's
    Netherlands, Zandvoort 2024, 1981, 1971
    Spain, Barcelona 2023, 1991
    South Africa, Kyalami 1992
    USA, Sebring 2023, 1988, 1971

Less likely:
    Japan, Fuji 2024, 1976
    Netherlands, Zolder 2025, 1984
    USA, Detroit street circuit 1988 - 3 wins for Senna at this track.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. MrX

MrX Active Member

open-uri20120928-30782-2xg7qt.jpg

I hope for a Historic Rouen

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Personally as a season pass owner I hope that dirt stuff is delayed until everything else works... I don't see it as a core part of the experience... It's just added fluff... I'd rather spend a full series in the Copa Trucks or in the Karts...

No need to add another level of complexity and take time away from important bug fixes, like the AI paths on the ovals... The lines into the pits really need to be worked on as they constantly cause crashes with the AI jumping to get onto the pit entry path... Usually on entry or exit of a corner... But that's just the tip of the "it needs to be fixed" iceberg in this title...

There does need to be more ovals, but ones that were actually used by the CART cars... There's 5 ovals in AMS2 right now, one of them was never used by CART or Indycar... Daytona...

4. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Charlotte Roval has slowly grown on me over the years. I hated the early iRacing versions of it with the deathtrap back chicane, but the current one actually has a good flow to it. For basically the hometown of a large percentage of US motorsports teams, I'm surprised it doesn't get as much recognition out of iRacing and NASCAR circles.

A lot of rovals get dismissed as discount road courses, but the best ones have that "Spa" like quality. By that I mean: making the tow/draft powerful enough to let a following car catch up, but tighter sectors to let driver skill make a difference. One of the best races in simracing was on the old Charlotte Roval with no chicanes in MX5-Cup back in iRacing. 45 minutes of tense battling that wouldn't have happened without the long straights.

Imho, I would figure this would be likely given it links CART/Indy/F1 for eras Emmerson Fittipaldi would've raced in each of those series. The F1 layout is so wonderfully sketchy with it's elevation changes.

giphy (16).gif
    Some of us like rallycross ok... Ok, maybe just me...
    The official Brazilian Stock Car game with a lot of extra content.

This was one of my pet peeves with Project CARS 2's representation of ovals and RX to a certain extent. PC2 really only had 3 viable ovals, even removing the Mohave oval from PC1, and only 3 suitable car classes. GoFastClub has held oval multiplayer races since the PC2 days, and it was difficult to get some variety when your options are only Texas, Daytona, and Indy. AMS2 hasn't gotten much more, but there are already 5 useable ovals, and hopefully, more to come. I still would love to see a real or fictionalized short-track oval. iRacing has done this so well with plenty of small, grassroots dirt and pavement ovals.

RX Rant: (I'm sorry, I'll shut up about it at some point)
    The biggest problem I had with PC2 RX was just the lack of features compared to normal lobbies. No practice was the biggest hurdle for most players. Most if not all RX tracks have a separate staging area for the grid so they can stage the next race during the current one. Combine that with no quali, random grid only, no heat system, and a hard 6 player cap and it was difficult to get people into racing a league with it.

I still get requests to restart my old PC2 rallycross league because of how fun it was, just the lack of features hampered it. I know it's a niche, but it's a really fun one at that. We had some insane combos, 60's Mustangs getting flung sideways into hairpins, Trophy buggies in the snow, RX cars on full studded ice tires on an ice oval... iRX is the only sim that has all the features needed to make rallycross work, but I hate how the cars drive.

5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Wait, what is all this RX chat coming from? Any official news I missed?

6. DavidGossett

It started with discussion about the validity of oval, RX, and dirt content in order to focus on "the core game." Which is understandable for those mainly interested GT's and open wheel content, but I still see potential in these formats.

Edit: RX had definitely been delayed at some point in order to focus on '71 Nords. Personally I don't mind given the quality of recent historic content, but it's well past it's Q1 release date.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can't wait for RX stuff!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Agree completely about the Rovals... Some really underated tracks out there... And they would serve both the road racing crowd and the oval racing crowd...

But you just convinced me further that I would rather wait for Reiza to get other things right before implementing even just the bare bones of RX that was in pCARS at all... There's so much to improve on what was in the pCARS versions that would take time away from all that needs to be fixed on the road racing side...

Plus we really do need more than 1 DLC's worth of RX tracks to make the whole thing worth it...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Anyone else getting poor performance on the new track? Settings i run perfectly on all other tracks are terrible here. Hope there is more optimization available.

10. Laulenture

Laulenture The me of sim racing AMS2 Club Member

I think I'd be a wasted opportunity to ignore RX, the engine already knows how to do that well, it's not like oval where Reiza is trying to make the madness engine do something it fundamentally isn't equipped to do.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

not poor performance, but still some frames less.
    I think the track is simply too big for best performance.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

i really liked this 6 participants RX races in PC2.
    The only problem was, that they didn't grant more spectators.

Assume you have 18 racers.
    3 times 6 start in a pack in first round races.
    best 4 per round in the second round races
    best 3 of 2nd round in the finals.
    While the races are on, the other drivers could spectate live while waitin for the next race.

We did this in a league several times. With live spectators it would have been perfect.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I know Renato likes historic stuff, so we can count on more historic stuff these years. That's one thing for sure. He definitely needs to strap him self into a rally/hillclimbcar cause I think it's a nice addition to the game, or a new game. Currently we're lacking a proper rally/gravel sim, so yeah. RBR is still king. Dirt Rally 2 is not that passion project Dirt Rally 1 was, and WRC 10 & Generations have this ugly RPG-lite smeared on it. Codemaster's WRC is around the corner, tho but will be probably as bad Dirt 4 was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

16. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

honestly this whole thing about ams 2 shouldn’t receive more oval content is ridiculous, and I’m saying this as someone who is not a big oval fan

sure I’d love the game to focus more on classic endurance content, but one of the points of AMS 2 is a great diversity of content, (that’s one of the things that bothered me in that raycevick video btw)

not every game should be an ACC and focus only in one thing, one of the best thing about sim racing is the sandbox side of it where you can race cars on tracks they never raced irl, such as indy cars on Nurburgring or F1 at Daytona, or create crazy multiclass races with AI.

And plus a stupid criticism I’ve saw a couple of times when a sim tittle brings an something different is “who asked for this?”
    My brother in Christ if devs only bring stuff that most sim racers “asked for” we would pretty much only receive gt3 content and famous European tracks every single update!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. DavidGossett

This is where iRacing got it right and PC2 failed. There was the ability for 2 heats, an LCQ, a final, and the ability to spectate each of the races you weren't part of. Even though it limited the amount of racing each driver did, you could still feel invested in how it finished knowing it determined the grid. PC2's system was basically built for single player only and multiplayer was an afterthought.

The biggest question I have is if the lobby system is a Madness Engine limitation. Even just expanding the grid to 8-10 (which Global Rallycross ran) and giving practice/quali options or a manual grid order feature would help make the format more usable.

I have better hopes for Codies WRC. After DiRT 4 they stopped pretending one title could satisfy casual gamers and hardcore sim fans, fully splitting the series into Rally vs numbered DiRT titles. DR2.0 isn't RBR, but it was a competent enough rally sim. The sound, presentation, and co-driver quality was something every other rally title lacked. While the WRC titles had some stages leagues beyond anything Codies made, the co-driver still sounded like an angry C-3PO.

Also, every oval they've brought to the game had a road course variant as well. I'd argue Fontana and Gateway's rovals are just as fun as other sim-racing staples like Snetterton, Oulton Fosters, etc.

18. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Preach on all you said. A lot of times people do NOT know what they want and if given something new, different, you / we / others can find appreciation in different things when trying something new.

I am glad AMS2 focuses on many things because if i wanted ACC, i would be playing ACC. Or was waiting for Rennsport which looks just like yet another ACC. The question "who asked for this" is very much fitting for Rennsport, while either *AMS2 content updates were always something that made me go "hell yes that is cool!".

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I also truly enjoy the huge variety of content of AMS2. I got bored with ACC very quickly, too few cars and a tiny amount of tracks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

and no date settings found. only time and weather settings. thus all ACC race happened in one single day.

• Agree Agree x 2