1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.8.1 & Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya Officially RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 2, 2023.

1. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried more front downforce? What I find annoying in the kind of scenario is that AI is not affected, they still run in packs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I'm really hyped for this release, as usual, but not at home until Monday. Please someone of you-tubers (pun), upload a video of a 50+ lap race at indy with the F-USA 2023.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I woulda if I didn’t have phobia of ovals for some reasons…

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow...that new Formula Junior is a real drift car ;). I'm loving it, makes it challenging to drive, without being impossible and it's really showing the gradual slipping and a good tyre model.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Bit of Dunning-Kruger going on here I’m afraid, what makes you think a 1990 f1 is dramatically less vulnerable to dirty air than a 2018 car? It is less, but turbulence was already a major problem from Senna’s era onwards. Most heavy aero cars that strongly rely on front wing for balance suffer losses from 100m behind already and even more.

Roughly speaking, on an average sized, medium to high downforce track the losses from following a car thats only a few tenths slower should be around 1s in F-Classic era, up to 2s with V10 Gen1s all the way to Ultimate Gen2; Ultimate Gen2 should lose 0.6-0.8s. I’m sure there is room for further adjustments in this area from class to class and even from one aero component to another and we will be doing more tests to confirm results generally match the figures above, but generally speaking if anything dirty air effect in AMS2 is downplayed for gameplay sake - the driving performance in your video by both you and the AIs ahead is too irregular to conclude what you do with such assertion.

Also Dicra if you may try be a bit less abrasive making your arguments, I usually keep an eye out for your feedback as a capable gamepad driver but when comments start going from measured figures and precise observations to hyperbolics and adjectives that’s when developers tend to stop reading.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
    • Agree x 15
    • Like x 6
    • Informative x 3
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  6. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you raced against the online Ai? It is by far, the worst experience I've had in this game. The online AI is another level of unaware. There's no point in racing in servers that use it because the AI will just be a moving chicane, completely disconnected to anything going on.

I don't understand the appeal of "offline RCO" when I can just race other people in other lobbies. Yes, a safety rating system will "promote" cleaner racing in theory, but most of us who frequent playing online already know each other and race fairly clean. If anything, the rating system is a detriment with such low player numbers.

Why would I grind through a bunch of barely populated Formula Inter Rookie races to get to the even less populated higher ranked Formula Classic lobby, when I can race equally good, or better players in a lobby I set up myself.

Safety and ranking systems are only valid if the whole platform uses it. I understand that's what RCO wants, but until there's some better integration into the platform, RCO isn't of much use to me. iRacing has the advantage of higher player count, "captive audience" (aka. you have to follow our rules to race the cars you want), and a paywall to discourage hosting your own servers.

Even in iRacing, I don't find the rating system encourages better race-craft. If anything, iRacing's performance rating system encourages going for risky moves. To discourage the worst offenders, you have to have the threat of a platform ban, and RCO and AMS2 will never do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Dmand

Dmand Active Member

Beutyeous Maximus!
    • Updated Trueforce support, increased rate, cleaner TF audio effects. Uses native TF lockstop
    Maximus Beutyeous

8. Andre Ramoni

Andre Ramoni Member AMS2 Club Member

@Renato Simioni

Renato, it is not possible to release the amount of fuel for the start in races with a closed setup, this random fuel is causing problems in some races of the championship, with pilots starting very heavy on fuel or very light, a pilot has already arrived who cannot race, because left with only one liter of fuel, this game random is unreliable

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Continuing what Renato said: the difference between F1 30-40 years ago and nowadays is not the dirty air, that was a problem as soon as cars sprout wings; the problem is draft effect. As time goes on and designers get more effective in managing the airflows, the air currents seal closer behind the end of the car, meaning that the vaccuum behind is shallower, and the possibility of grabbing a tow is reduced.

Before, drivers dealt with dirty air, but they knew they could easily get a 15-20 km/h boost by grabbing a tow. That number got lower and lower, and nowadays it's hard to get even a 5 km/h boost, which is why it's hard to overtake without an aid like DRS.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Well, I watched races from both eras. And while in the 1990's, cars were generally able to stay behind in the 0.5-0.9 second range, in the 2017 era of racing, they struggled to get closer than 1.5 seconds. You can see that visually by how the field spreads after a few laps of racing.

Yeah, but the question is: At what distance to the car in front does that loss begin to take effect? I personally have no way of knowing how the downforce loss looks at around 0.5-0.9 seconds distance, because whenever I get into that window, I'm swiftly booted back out again because of the dirty air. The distance that I've seen cars from that era - and later eras, like the 2000's FV10G2, which should be horrible for dirty air - follow each other is not a distance I actually can be in, because I'm so heavily affected so early on.

And this is exactly what I feel is incorrect: Of course you can lose a second a lap in dirty air, also in the 90's. But that happens when you're extremely close to the car in front.

In AMS2, on the other hand, I'm quite far away yet suffering the effects so clearly that I can't get into what would be the DRS window most of the time (erratic driving or not, that can be seen in the video).

I've not seen a race from that time period where someone who was clearly quicker than the cars in front (by more than a second a lap) had so much trouble getting in the 0.5-0.9 window in relation to them.

Now I might handle dirty air worse than a real life driver would. But there is something about how the front of the car reacts to dirty air that seems too pronounced and too early currently.

I'll try, sorry. This is something that's been vexing me for a long time, as some people around here may know.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Interesting. I wonder if I've raced different classes than you, but the AI racing on RCO has provided some of the closest racing I've had...even compared to racing against humans. I agree that it's not perfect, and there might be a group of cars that get in the way or something initially, but then I find that I end up racing closely against another bunch throughout the rest of the race

EDIT: I also could just be a lot slower/worse than you, so maybe the AI are more on my level haha.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dicra

This is Spa-Francorchamps 1991. Take notice on how several cars are following each other in the 0.5-1 second range throughout the video.

Dirty air did increase quite a bit when aerodynamic fidelity rose. None of the things in this - sadly very short and cut - video would've been possible in 2017-2021, and not just because of lacking slipstream (which was actually very effective in that era).

13. Andre Ramoni

Andre Ramoni Member AMS2 Club Member

For me and the people in my championships, it's just praise for the physics of dirty air, congratulations, really good, it's really cool to see how the car loses a little grip because it's driving in dirty air, I don't feel that in other simulators we use.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

On a separate note we NEED this 1987-1990 version of Silverstone Historic in the game! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

1-1.5s really already can have a pretty notable impact, especially when you are following a pack draft. Multiple cars will cause very turbulent air and your advantage against it is straightline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dicra

So the "solution" to this would be more along the lines of making the AI suffer from dirty air more? Because currently they do stay glued together very closely, which - if this is simulated in game, and I can confirm that situations like described above usually happen when following groups of cars - leads to them protecting themselves with a wall of dirty air against the player while seemingly non-affected by following the car ahead closely themselves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. A.F.K DaN

A.F.K DaN Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza, that update truely is amazing.
    I was a bit worried about the fantasy Indycar to maybe become a bit dissapointing, but damn is that thing amazing to drive and also sounding sexy as hell. Already loving it after a couple of laps and didn't want to stop if it wasn't for todays f1 quali.
    This one really suits perfect into AMS2 and makes me want to drive league races with it.

Also, the F-Junior is equal amazing, especially for something being from such an old era, this is becoming very addictive on the sudschleife, how easily it can loose it's rear but also easily being able to catch it. An amazing addition.

Really looking forward to the 1.5 full update and complete revisions for other cars. Reiza never stops to surprise me update after update.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
  18. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Following another car closely doesnt mean it’s not losing performance because of it tho. This is a fairly nuanced topic and multiple things can be true at once, it’s always a matter of degree. We’ve already verified dirty air effect is too strong for the F-Ultimate Gen2, and possibly a few other classes. It’s also downplayed in series where it should be stronger. There will be further finetuning still on this front even for already revised cars, and we will look into making dirty air a scalable realism setting on the longer run for those who would rather have it be less of a factor :)

• Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

Following my earlier feedback about P2P, I thought I'd try to make something really quick to improve on the existing system right now! Here's a small suggestion for some additions on P2P - It would be nice to have a color coded number saying how much left over you have in terms of seconds (out of X seconds), and to have some better feedback if it's on or not (besides the HUD on the bottom right corner). I think having this would already be of massive help with managing the P2P system, as well as utilize space in the car UI that isn't being used for anything :)

Sorry for the low resolution picture, just made this really quick, but I hope it gets the idea across!

upload_2023-6-3_16-6-34.png

• Useful Useful x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dainamo

Dainamo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Been driving more of the updated physics cars again in an attempt to be more objective and find something wrong with them but still incredibly pleased, the Formula Junior and the new F-USA again are fantastic, so dynamic yet so natural at the same time, some of the funnest cars I've driven in a sim. Got a chance to try out the F-Classics and I'm really falling in love with them, specially the F-Classics Gen.1 Lotus, just an absolute joy. F-Ultimate Gen.2 and the F-Reiza are absolutely beautiful cars to drive as well, can really get a sense of the aero on those cars, specially compared to the older formula cars.
    The F-Retro's on the other hand don't really work for me as much, granted that might not be related to the physics, but man those cars are a nightmare to drive, specifically the Gen.1, unbelievable understeer right into oversteer, just can't seem to wrap my head around them.