1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.8.1 & Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya Officially RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Andre Ramoni

Andre Ramoni Member AMS2 Club Member

At each race randomly and even on the same track and conditions, several drivers start with different amounts randomly given by the game, they cannot open the amount of fuel for the same start, they opened the types of tires for us to select

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Tried last night

Barcelona track super

the new f2/3 classic junior seemed very off
    Seemed to rotate easily as if pivoting from centre & ffb seems tad indirect/floaty , plus it feels like it has down force but it has none
    Only beta I know

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know enough about race car physics, but where do race cars rotate from?

Should it be the centre of mass or is it the front wheels? Or somewhere else?

4. AxisMagi

AxisMagi Member AMS2 Club Member

Excellent, this method is definitely preferred over a push system that runs full 20 seconds each time.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

pivots from back wheels
    Front wheels evoke the turn
    Assuming no loss of traction of course

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  6. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

race cars do just rotate like every 4 wheeled vehicle. There is no special race cars physics. The difference beetwen a VW 1303 and a Porsche 911 is in details only, not in the main physical principles. Datei:Ackermann radius M.svg – Wikipedia

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Have you at least deleted your setups or the Automobilista folder under Documents and started from scratch?Your complaints are very strange.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ayrton2388

ayrton2388 Member AMS2 Club Member

None of those. A simplified model i used in game dev like 10 years ago is something like this:

[​IMG]
    This example shows how the turn radius depends on the wheelbase. Anyway, like i said, this is a simplified model, in reality you have to take into account a lot of other stuff.

Taking into account the slip angle, the steering geometry changes to something like this:
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure how accurate the rear slip angles are in this image, but you get the point. But like i said, it gets even more complex. For example, when turning a racing kart, the front inside wheel will actually lift off the ground, because there is no suspension, so that wheel shouldn't contribute to steering geometry while it's up in the air. You also need to consider camber, toe, and a bunch of other stuff.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the interesting replies all.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried it at barcelona and couldn't get it to work. I assume it is the button mapped to boost? Or maybe not?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Apex

Apex Active Member

I find that a bit odd. Yes, it's still in beta, but to me this particular car along with the Inter represent the highest level of driving experience fidelity in the sim at the moment. The handling, the feel, the visuals and the sounds. It's subjective, I know, and there's a sound bug, but I think it's a major leap forward in terms of mechanical immersion, if that's even a thing.

Have you tried messing around with the setup? Or maybe your FFB and/or sound settings?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Performance variation from track-to-track wasn´t just about car development though (which incidentally back in the day also included fuel as a substantial component in engine output), but also the fact the top teams would often take different kits and / or set it up differently from track to track. The same BMW engine that could hit 354 km/h at Monza could "only" hit 330 km/h in qualifying for the next race - as you say the wing configuration wasn´t that different from one track to the other, and although Estoril is no Monza it does have a long 1km downhill straight.

This little blurb help illustrate the dynamics of the day:
    image_2023_06_06T19_35_54_499Z.png

Now despite all that, is it possible our drag coeffs are still slightly off despite already being extremely high and having very poor lift-to-drag ratio relative to the previous Retro Gen3 and the subsequent Classic Gen2 from the same decade, both of which producing fairly accurate lap times and top speeds? It´s possible, but it´s also possible some other factor is at play such as these very typical modifications from one race to the next, weather and other variables. Ultimately, until there is more reliable data suggesting otherwise we find best to err on the side or coherence.

We´ve already adjusted fuel density as we added support for different densities to better model Methanol density in the F-USAs a few updates back, and just recently through these initial v1.5 revisions we gave it another look and confirmed the penalty from extra fuel mass is appropriate. The higher gaps from qualy to race in older classes were again more down to car qualy and race specs being fairly different, and in the case more recent seasons the fact that modern tires have a "coat" of rubber that only provides peak grip for a couple of laps, combined with tire management in races not really allowing drivers to push as hard from lap-to-lap. STM incidentally does support simulation of that initial rubber "coat" and non-linear degradation, but we´ve opted out of using it at least until we are confident tires are set to stand as they are for the long haul - hopefully for v1.6 :)

• Informative Informative x 33
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Sorry to interrupt the nerd talk :)
    But... these things are just sooo good on the RC, with this excellent new skin pack.
    Simulator bliss.
    ss225708.jpg

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Can you elaborate more on this bug?

15. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

The rear ride height in the basic setup of the Formula ultimate gen 2 is asymmetric. Is it supposed to be like that?

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Nope that´s an error, cheers for noting :) Fixed for the next build.

• Like Like x 12
  17. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I was having huge issues with oversteer and then I noticed what caused it :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed 1 BILLION times! The cars handle amazingly - I've no issue saying I think these are the best among all simulators - and the skin pack is absolutely perfect. The AI files are pretty nice too.

However, even though the AI behaves more organically now, they still need a lot of tweaking. More often than not they are transforming the track into a Rally RX circuit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

That little blurb is the same i posted. I have the full context of that, which was indeed the evolution of the engine through the year.

The next race after Monza was Estoril, a track with a much shorter front straight, and a much more twisty circuit, that would obviously, necessitate an even more draggy setup. So obviously they went slower in terms of top speed, they all did.

20. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Quick request, can you also implement something for the stock car brazil? The lights on the dashboard for p2p arent functional either.

• Agree Agree x 1