1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.8.1 & Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya Officially RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Dainamo

Dainamo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I use a Fanatec CSL DD.
    80 Gain
    0 LFB
    80 FX
    60 Dampening

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

For me it’s really cool to try the karts but the wheel is so sensitive for me, even with the least steering angle; it’s different from real one and it gives me massive oversteer. Anyone could share if you need to use specific wheel settings to proper enjoy the karts? I’m using good ol’g25. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

At least in my case, it's a mixture of everything. First of all, Tilke's idea of "safety" is to put asphalt everywhere, even where it isn't needed (it's actually almost never needed, because there are almost no situations where gravel is more dangerous than your average street circuit, not just Jeddah, and because other circuits can have gravel in the most audacious places (just look at Melbourne)).

The reason why we have that many parking lots is that they are easier to maintain than circuits with gravel, and Everyman Richguy is less likely to scratch some paint off his Maserati by taking a trip into the runoff. I'm not sure Tilke had a choice with some later tracks like COTA, but he started that ruinous trend and for that I don't like him on principle. I can SO see him running to the Hockenheim track owners and tell them that he "solved" the track maintenance issue, thereby kickstarting the worst trend in modern motorsport. No corner with asphalt runoff is worth much, Istanbul Turn 8 very much included.

And the layouts are honestly just as bad, they are almost uniformly the work of a man who has not the slightest idea about motorsports. His tracks are always cleanly separated in an "overtake" and a "driver challenge" section, both of which regularly fail to do their job, and there's never any overlap - it's EITHER fun OR you can overtake (and more often than not none of that), never both. His way to make corners difficult is to make them off-camber, unnaturally angular, and one-line, which is the most horrible thing you can do to racing. His only idea to make the racing better is to build longer and longer straights that lead to driving past someone instead of racing.

There's a reason why we regularly see some of the best racing in F1 on Silverstone (by far his best work, but then he only was allowed to rework half the track - I shudder to think what he would have done with Copse and Stowe), but he's never even stopped and reconsidered his formula.

There are some tracks in his portfolio that do their job (Bahrain, COTA, Turkey, Sepang), but even these are borked by some frankly mystifying decisions. What the hell is that final corner at Bahrain; why would you make that a one line double corner? What the hell is that ending of the S-corners at Austin supposed to be? How on earth does anyone think that a one-line chicane before the longest straight at Istanbul is a good idea?

And then you have the true travesties. His original version of Abu Dhabi was limited by circumstance, but WTF. Exclusively one-line off-camber corners, it's like he wanted the race to be as dull as possible while annoying the drivers as best as he could. It's the only track in the world that voluntarily had a one-line chicane after an overtaking spot, and it was so horrible they had to correct some of his worst brainfarts for tens of millions despite there being nothing wrong with safety etc, in the process showing that you could easily have done something better than him.

Mexico, which used to be a beautiful, flowing track, was made so ugly that even looking at the layout gives you the desire to call an ambulance, or law enforcement. Every corner was made sharp, unnatural and one-line, every runoff transformed into an asphalt desert. It's so bad that it's like SouthPawRacer's "How to Ruin a Racetrack" ported into real life and amped up to 100.

And just thank all deities you know that Hanoi was never raced on, because good Lord...

...I could go on, but in short, Tilke hate is not just justified, but necessary. Also, Jeddah was designed by his son, not him. If it had been designed by him, we would be talking about another horribly unnatural asphalt lake, not about safety.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Aren't these tracks, where it's rather hot than cool?:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Night racing in AMS2 is awesome...

The lighting effects are great for me...

I hear a lot of issues with VR and some people who have their screens tuned for odd gamma settings or something that causes a lot of darkness even in wet weather... But for me it's great...

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Why is it necessary to have motorsports be whatever you or whatever people who agree with you want it to be? I have zero issue with asphalt run off, especially on the outside of corners at the end of long straights with elevation change. And if you race extremely fragile areo sensitive open wheel race cars street courses will almost always have massive overtaking problems. There is nothing necessary about hating Tilke, he isn't single handedly destroying motorsports or even F1.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

I fully agree with of what you said, and every time someone from a classic venue consider to modernize the layout or increase the safety etc, I immediately think: oh no don’t bring Tilke to ruin another track! What was done in Hockenheim and A1 was atrocious. I might be wrong but I believe he was the one who ruined the bus stop chicane in Spa right? Old layout was much better. Also when you say Silverstone changes weren’t bad, I believe the reason is that wasn’t done by Tilke (again, if I’m not mistaken) it was done by Populous. For sure on my view he is one of the sole responsible for the lack of true variety and character on new race tracks. For sure his design mindset of priority on safety, hospitality and comfort is a win win for race promoters, but I feel that almost all this tracks have this copy and paste formula you mentioned (long straights, hairpins, off camber corners with one challenging section on parking lots with exotic backgrounds). If I’m totally honest, he did it well on Sepang, is his best circuit, and I grew to like Bahrain, but that’s it. I can share your pain on Tilkedromes. The worst is this is the new standard of exciting circuit for a whole new generation of fans. I’m glad that there’s AMS2 to bring back old these old circuit layouts to life for a new generation. We can just appreciate the bravery needed to tackle an old spa, old nords, Interlagos and so many other circuits.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Well, when I want motorsports to be something, I'mma try and advocate for that, no? That "hate" thing was a bit of hyperbole.

But generally I don't enjoy when classic driver's corners are turned into track limit festivals, open, flowing corners are turned into awkward, angular, off-camber ones, and driver challenge into "make the corner or don't, doesn't matter".

Asphalt at the end of straights ... I personally think it encourages pushing other drivers off the track, because you can rely on them using the asphalt, and doesn't really encourage racing as much as you'd think it does.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is what it looks to me:

This is what it looks irl (through TV cams):

Sure TV cameras enhance the clarity, but take a look at the dark spots in AMS2. I think it is too dark, as if the light emission is focused, instead of diffuse. Not sure I can make me made understood, I admit I lack vocabulary to express what I mean.

Then there is the completely dark chicane in AMS2. Maybe the road track isnt supposed to be used at night?

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with your points about asphalt runoffs, I think Jeddah walls are silly but if it were my call I would put large cranes trackside and gravel traps immediately after the 'rumble strips' put an end to the ridiculous track limits inconsistensies. Was gutted to see Mugello not get a fair bite at a perma spot on the calendar, Stroll learned the joy of that big ol' gravel trap :p.

That being said, Bahrain is fun to drive, so is Baku (I know many hate it) and Sepang is better than all of them. Silverstone is a treasure and one of my favourite tracks. Abu Dhabi is one of the worst tracks on the calendar in my opinion.

Another area I agree with you is 'single line corners', turn one in China and the later sectors of Sepang have turns that are perfect examples of corners that make for good switcheroos and different line choice where they open or tighten, meaning for most of the corner you have no 'apex marker'. Am I remembering correctly that Vettel calling Kvyatt 'torpedo' was in the first turn at China?

Either way, when looking at the list of tracks he has been involved in, I enjoy a lot of them. I personally have LOADS of views on why F1 is having the problems it is and none of them are to do with track design, though that will surely play a role as you said.

I don't think I disagree with anything you said, just the sum of all of those points doesn't lead to the same conclusion for me, I still like some of them despite the above.

I love some Tilke tracks and I hate other Tilke tracks. On that basis, I'm not going to say all Tilke tracks are bad and while your views on the tracks seem well reasoned and rooted in reality, that has not always been my experience.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. BadEngineer

BadEngineer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I see what you mean with the dark spots between the reflector posts. I agree it could use some improvements, for sure. The cockpit vs trackside cameras luminosity is weird to me. Maybe there's a post processing filter applied while in the cockpit with a different brightness/contrast balance, idk. But yeah, we need more lighting and less performance impact.

12. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Okay, I tried and succeeded, but not at at first as I was too simple minded to understand the second step of the calibration, that it expect me that the wheel is 90 degrees from center (from 0) and not just in 90 degrees angle physically as I tried first. So that did the trick that the car's range is fully used and the virtual wheel/hands are in sync with physical, but that alone didn't help to remove the oscillations. Next thing I tried, which helped, is to de-sync max wheel range and limit from each other, so that the max limit angle is example 900 (value I used also in calibiration), but the maximum steering angle is greater (currently 1440). So basically the max steering angle needs to be higher than the max limit angle in Moza pit house software to get rid of the oscillations (and seemed to help with the violet behavior in crashing too it seems).

That bad vibrations I got from the Junior are not there, or much lighter and don't bother. I only did the above + set the damper in wheel software to 5%.

13. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

will jeddah have missile attacks thought?

14. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's all a matter of taste. His clients certainly must've liked the designs, otherwise these tracks wouldn't have come to life. I quite like COTA and Bahrain, Atlanta Motorsport Park, Sachsenring, they're all awesome. and I'd like to thank him personally for Bilster Berg, one of my favourite tracks. ^^

15. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm getting that with the generic Formula Retro Gen 3 Turbo and DFYs - eg. final fast left-hander at Suzuka (Kansai), rear end will usually give way if trying to take it at top speed. Not sure if it's supposed to be that way but it doesn't inspire confidence in those cars.

16. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I kinda like the current abu dhabi layout but tbf i do have weird taste on things such as loving the 1999 BAR livery and the 2007 honda livery in f1

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. projupiter

projupiter Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree the steering feels wrong compared to real kart. Feels like steering angle is too small.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Idk it felt about right for me, with the difference between rental karts irl and in ams2

19. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Believe steering angle in karts is 180 degrees IRL and that is how it is in AMS2

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. kingkoenig

kingkoenig Active Member

An IMSA license would be *awesome*! And frankly, I doubt it would be hard to get. It's not as if developpers are fighting among themselves to get one. IMSA is still very much a "niche" series.

• Agree Agree x 2