1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.8.1 & Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya Officially RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

I tought it had fixed itself with the BT52, but I think what helps is to increase the steering angle to something like 24 to make it more smooth and it really doesnt like sudden moviments on the steering in long and fast corners, so you need to under drive those cars in fast corners really. I'm not sure its supposed to be like that either, maybe @CrimsonEminence could give his toughts?

2. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Feels about right to me too. I'm a G29 user, so it can't really achieve the wheel strength of the real deal, but it works ok and doesn't bother me at all.

There is one caveat, though, not related to steering: the AMS2 rental kart feels very slow if compared to the real rental karts I've raced with. I think it is because of the lack of g-forces and the general body perception of speed, which sims simply cannot achieve for obvious reasons. The AMS2 2 Stroke kart sort of gives me the sense of speed I had with the real life rental kart.

3. projupiter

projupiter Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe its not the steering lock, but I feel like it spins too easy. Maybe the new physics will change it. I like to 2 stroke one better, but that doesnt have the rental kart sound.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

I agree with that, that’s why I think there’s something wrong with my wheel setup is that in my case is really extreme. On Granja Viana track for example, on the first corner I need to barely turn 1cm in my wheel to do the turn, and probably 2cm to do the hairpin. Having raced in this circuit and in the same track configuration there several times, I can tell that it’s not like this in real life. In the hairpin on AMS2 (with my wheel configuration ) it’s really easy to spin on the hairpin due to the very sensitive wheel whilst in real life doing 2 hour endurance race there I never had the slightest issue with this corner, and I need to turn much more to do these corners. With my configuration it’s almost binary. It only happens with the karts which is a shame, and that’s why I think it has to do with my wheel setup.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I Agree that the steering feels more sensitive than IRL, but that can be sliding which will be fixed with V1.5

• Like Like x 1
  6. sgsfabiano

Hmm, yeah I think something might be wrong on your end. I definitely need to turn quite a bit more than you do. If I'm not mistaken, for hairpins I need to turn my wheel at least 90º. Whenever I can I will check and report back.

7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Ground effect was banned for this season and these cars have badly usable undertray aero in comparison to Retro Gen2, so they lose grip faster. BT52 is especially affected due to it having virtually almost no diffusor at all, being rear engined and overpowered. We'll see about the high speed snap, but you indeed need to "underdrive" at speed, because there is just less downforce.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  8. mmertens

That will be great, thanks for the support

9. Turbo Granny

The only thing that feels weird about it is that snap really, even with the bad aero I dont think the drivers would have to step on eggs so much at high speed corners, its not a predictable behavior.
    You kindda get used to it but its weird.

10. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nelson Piquet won the 1983 drivers' title in the BT52 - a car conceived and built in a scarcely believable six weeks. Note the ultra short sidepods, with the radiators pushed as far back as possible to put more weight over the rear axle and improve traction.
    [​IMG]
    “Aerodynamically, it was probably the least adjustable car of all time,” recalls designer Gordon Murray. “We just had front wing flap adjustment to balance it out.”

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. sgsfabiano

Mate, actually you are absolutely correct. I've tested it and got the very same behaviour as you did. Something is off with the rental kart steering.

The 2 Stroke continues to be perfection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. CrimsonEminence

Another reason that sidepods are as short/small as they are is because they produce lift instead of downforce now so they attempted to minimize this as much as possible. Traction is provided pretty well for it, but the unusual weight distribution also makes the rear quite happy to step out. That's not "weird", it's physics.

Driving wise the car itself is relatively easy going beneath the limit. It shows its character on the very limit though, it's still possible to drive very quick laptimes due to it having the unmatched power advantage and enough grip to at least keep up in corners.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mmertens

Thanks for the quick reply!!! Maybe I might add this on the bug thread then! Very helpful, thanks

14. Turbo Granny

I agree, but the behavior in long fast corners is kind of inconsistent, its like the aero and the mechanical grip just give up at one point and there is this very hard to catch snap.
    I undertand the car has weird aero and weight distribution, I'm not a expert in that stuff by any means, just saying how it feels. If thats the way its supposed to be I'm fine too, I've been having fun learning to drive it.

15. CrimsonEminence

Can't promise anything, but certainly worth reviewing in the way how sudden it should be :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Gravel Traps vs Asphalt:

The problem these days with Gravel traps is that if anyone dare get in one or god forbid get out and bring gravel onto the track, then its either a red flag or a safety car. The level of safety in this sport (F1) has made it so that its far more dangerous to drive to the circuit and watch the race than actually participate in it.

So, whilst I too am not a great fan of Asphalt run offs, its better than the incessant safety cars (including VSC) every 5 minutes.

Plus, some of these tracks double up as Bike tracks and I think that is also a driver for more asphalt run off.

17. HarleyDavidsonfx

HarleyDavidsonfx New Member

Hello,
    Thanks for the great sim. My favorite. A small ask. Could you ask the team if we could get the lotus 23 B version. We already have the lotus 23. Just figured it would be low hanging fruit to develop. It was a more powerful variant sold. It is a real car with a 1.6-liter Italian powerplant mated to a westlake or hewland 5 speed transmission. Small alterations to the frame/motor mounts to accomodate an engine over 1.3 liters were performed. Other than that pretty much the same car.

• A small-capacity sports-racer, the Colin Chapman-designed Lotus 23 made its debut in 1962 using a widened version of the Type 20 Formula Junior chassis.
    • The original 23 was designed for engines of up to 1,300cc in capacity, but the 23B featured a stronger chassis to cater for the larger 1.5 and 1.6-litre Ford-Lotus Twin-Cam engines.
    Don Munoz's Lotus 23B
    Lotus 23B serial number 23-S-61 was originally delivered to Ian Phillips of England, painted white with blue stripes. It had been specified with a 1600cc Twin Cam engine and a Hewland 5-speed transmission. It was soon purchased and moved to the United States, where Ed Cicotte raced it actively in Sports Car Club of America's (SCCA's) Central Division throughout the 1960s and 70s. Cicotte changed engines at least twice. For a time, he raced it with a 1.5L Coventry Climax V8 with Colotti transmission. He later fitted a 2.0L BMW engine.

Ed Cicotte sold the car to Ed ****enson in the 1970s. ****enson raced the car for awhile with the BMW engine, then began converting the car back to Lotus Twin Cam power in the mid-1980s but didn't complete the project. ****enson died in 2002, and Don Munuz purchased the unassembled car.

In 2004, Don Munoz completed an extensive restoration of this racecar to original 23B specifications. As shown below, it has been returned to its original configuration with Lotus 1600 Twin-Cam engine. Don has subsequently raced it in three to four Sportcar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) events per year, before deciding to offer it for sale in 2010.

[​IMG]
    Features and Specifications
    Engine: MWE-built 1600cc Lotus Twin Cam engine (3.25" bore by 2.864" stroke). Dual Weber 45DCOE carburetors. Lucas distributor. Lucas AB14 electronic ignition amplifier. Lucas Sport ignition coil. Accel 8mm Super Stock radio supression core spark plug wires. Dry sump lubrication system. Brian Hart oil pump. Racor tattletale oil filter.
    Cooling: original copper/brass style radiator. RaceTech aluminum oil cooler. (Water and oil plumbed external to the frame).
    Exhaust: 4-into-1 stainless steel exhaust header.
    Transaxle: Hewland 5-speed. Halfshafts have been upgraded to CV joints in lieu of Metalastic donuts.
    Front Susp.: unequal length, non-parallel dual wishbone suspension. Alford & Alder forged uprights. Koni double-adjustable aluminum-bodied coilover shock absorbers. Eibach springs. Adjustable anti-sway bar.
    Rear Susp.: inverted lower wishbones, single top links, and twin adjustable trailing links. Lotus proprietary magnesium uprights. Koni double-adjustable aluminum-bodied coilover shock absorbers. Eibach springs. Non-adjustable anti-sway bar.
    Brakes: (master) dual Girling master cylinders with remote reservoirs.
    (front) Girling aluminum calipers. 9" solid rotors.
    (rear) Girling aluminum calipers. 9" solid rotors.
    Wheels/Tires: Lotus magnesium racing wheels (13x5 4-lug front, 13x6 6-lug rear). Avon "Historic Formula Ford" tires (5.0/22.0-13 front, 6.5/23.0-13 rear).
    Electrical: Odyssey PC680 drycell battery. Tilton Super Starter XLT gear reduction starter.
    Instruments: (left to right) AutoMeter voltmeter (8-18V), Smiths coolant temperature (30-110C) Smiths tachometer (0-12000rpm), Smiths oil pressure (0-160psi), and Smiths oil temperature (40-140C) gauges.
    Fuel System: center mounted seven gallon custom fuel cell. Facet (Bendix style) electric fuel pump. Holley adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
    Safety Eqmt: RaceTech centralized fire suppression system. Willans six-point cam-lock safety harness. Quick release steering wheel hub, installed on a RaceTech leather wrapped steering wheel.
    Weight: ~1000#.
    Racing Class: SVRA Group 5.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Having tried many many rental Karts, this sounds pretty accurate then LOL. Does it also simulate how one Kart is miles slower than another one (not always the one you are in luckily)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The answer is obviously "mix of both" and I don't get why that's controversial. Gravel isn't perfect, infact there are large problems, mainly with cars either 'skipping' or rolling making the trap at best useless or at worst putting the lives of spectators at risk. Think I'm exagerrating? Take a look at this picture.
    la-porsche-di-alexandre-areia--1.jpg

This is the aftermath of an incident that happened in Portimao (FIA Grade 1 btw) during the WEC weekend this year. No one was hurt thankfully. As you can tell by the tire (tyre) marks in the gravel the car WAS on the ground. Then became airborne due to the 'skipping' issue I mentioned earlier. If this was tarmac run off, there is no way the car would've been able to get enough air to go into the stands. I think often time gravel run-off is great, but people treat it like it's a cure-all.

People love to rag on the FIA about track saftey specifically with Jeddah and I agree with those critisms. Yet, because it involves gravel traps, many of those people are silent about a crash that is infinitely more dangerous than any crash that has taken place at Jeddah.

It is so silly that this is even an argument. Mixture of both is the only way truly forward. Any opinion other than that is the same tribalism that makes motorsports (and most other sports) miserable to interact with. I have very little respect for that, especially because it leads to crashes like what happened at Portimao being ignored. Nearly every motorsports tragedy in the past 3 decades would've been prevented if tracks and series organizers took close calls like what we saw at Portimao seriously and implemented changes before people had to die.

Imagine Bianchi and Leclerc at Ferrari, Earnhardt watching his son win the Daytona 500, Senna and Shumacher battling it out in 1994. All of these cases had blatant warning signs years or even decades before they happened. How many more times does this have to happen before we actually learn?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The new physics for the Formula cars are absolutely amazing. Huge improvement, thanks for the dedicated work, this sim is getting better and better each day! (this while it was already "the best")

Sadly enough a lot of them (classics/retro) are not enjoyable on "bumpy tracks" in VR because of the bugged metal sparks in VR. They just completely ruin it for me, it looks to akward in VR.

But on flat surfaces and the more modern Formula cars that give less sparks are really amazing and enjoyable now also in VR, but it's kind of weird to make an selection based on this bug.

I really hope that with the next update the metal sparks can be disabled or will be removed for VR until they are fixed. Because now it's really the time to enjoy these cars since the physics are just next level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1