1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.8.1 & Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya Officially RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 2, 2023.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Good luck. I have not seen a response to VR queries in a very long time. Seems like its either a "works by default in the engine" or "bad luck".

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

THIS RIGHT HERE ^^^^

As someone who is in those photographer holes, I've come to appreciate the miles of run-off a bit more. This sunk in for me while scouting spots at COTA, the danger factor for track workers and marshals becomes apparent. I hate how it encourages abusing track limits, but considering how close some of the marshal posts are, it's understandable. I'd much rather winge about the racing product than hear someone died.

20230519_132727.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

When it comes to spectators and staff I think we all agree that safety should be paramount but surely that could be improved with better cages and redundancies to make sure cars never endanger them.

As far as the drivers are concerned, every measure to improve safety of the car should be taken, halos have proven their worth even if many of us grumbled, sadly as the saying goes, rule changes are often written in blood.

Then again, red flagging races has become ridiculous and disrupts the sport. We also rarely see wet races anymore, in Japan they waited until they could go out on inters and the track was damp in places, leading to a less than 40 minute event.

We engage in many dangerous sports though and if I have to crash into a barrier at 180Mph, I'll do it in the F1 car thank-you-very-much. There's safety and then there's too far, I think it reached that point a while back now.

Meanwhile in a lesser known motorsport :D:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's great to see big youtubers like Mabix slowly but surely taking notice of AMS2.
    I hope the rest of the cars will benefit from the 1.5 physics as well.

• Like Like x 11
  5. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep that's also my observation.

@Renato Simioni @CrimsonEminence can we please get an update/at least an official reply from you guys to see if these VR issues are on the "to do" / "to fix" list?

The metal spark issue really a HUGE issue for VR users and could be solved easilly, simply by removing it or giving us an option to disable it in options. This until it's "solved".

It would also be great to know if the texture flickering bug in VR, which is the second even bigger issue in VR(since it does not only happen with Formula cars, but all tracks got "texture flickering"), is on the "to do" / "to fix" list.

AMS2 is currently the best VR sim racing title on the market(by far imo). You guys did an magnificent job but these issues really hurt the whole experience and make the Formula cars not fun to drive in VR.

I would highly appreciate that!

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

For bikers, asphalt is far worse than gravel because they don't have a brake when they fall off their machine and asphalt doesn't stop a sliding human as well as gravel. Louis Salom might have survived if there was a decent gravel trap, which since has been reinstalled at the place of his death.

Also, gravel does not lead to safety cars, if you simply put a 5 metre grass strip before the start of the gravel trap and thereby prevent it getting on the track. They've somehow forgotten how to do that in recent times.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This would not solve the issue with Portimao, that car had completely lost its brakes and probably would've gone through another fence or two. There is nothing you can do to the track to change the severity of the incident other than replacing the gravel trap with tarmac.

8. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Yeah it's hard to judge an accident when there is no useful video of it. I'll also note that you are trying to prove the danger of gravel traps with a runoff area that is a (frankly horrible, because it combines the worst of both) mix of gravel and asphalt.

Chances are that there wouldn't have been an issue with skipping if the gravel trap had been at the edge of the track instead of behind a 40 metre asphalt lake that gave the car more time to get sideways and didn't scrub off much speed. At the very least it would've happened earlier, lowering the chance that the car would fly in such a way that it moved over the wall AND the catch fence.

Alonso's crash in Melbourne 2016 looked spectacular, but it would have been far worse if the gravel had only begun at a later part of the runoff area, because then he would've been in the air when reaching the barrier.

Had that happened with an exclusively asphalt runoff area, he would've crashed sideways into the wall with a lot more speed, very much unsure he would've fared better then,

Be that as it may, skipping is an issue in a scenario that has a car arriving sideways at the corner entrance, and it's only an issue when there's only a small gravel trap followed by a wall and spectators. Do you know of an instance where it has happened at a corner with a "full" gravel trap and lead to the consequence of the car flying over a catchfence?

If runoff is too small to avoid this, there is also always the alternative to do it like they have in Zandvoort and provide a relatively small, straight strip of asphalt runoff followed by a gravel trap that preserves driver challenge while accounting for this possibility. I wouldn't call T1 at Zandvoort asphalt runoff though, there just is an asphalt exit road.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

what's he say? for us non German speakers

10. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

there are subtitles on the video (see pic press where the arrow is pointing)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Didn't realise you could auto translate to English, thats pretty cool. Well, seems he really likes it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

As a dane I understand his fastspeaking german reasonably good.:cool:
    Its obvious he is pretty positive about the driving experience in AMS2.
    In the beginning he just briefly comment on his longer experience in iRacing by saying that the handling of cars in AMS2 is much more "intuitive".
    This means a lot because if you just drop into a new sim different from your goto one the new one will normally feels un-intuitive.
    Hehe I dont want to comment on my own experience after aborted 5+ years membership of iRacing.
    But his assessment of the 2 sims are following my own pretty close :whistle:

ByTheWay: Its good to see a youtuber who actually are able to control a virtual car pretty good :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

He's one of the fastest guys in ACC (eSports Alien basically) so the guy definitely can drive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. IssaP

IssaP New Member AMS2 Club Member

Since we're already talking about Mabix I can also recommend this video from a week ago:

In my opinion he is really spot on about the dead multiplayer in AMS2. I was really disappointed when LFM wanted to include AMS2 (AMS2 won the community vote on the LFM discord) but ultimately didn't because of the way servers work in AMS2 (no real dedicated servers but peer2peer etc.).

I really hope we hear some news about updates to multiplayer, my wish would be a complete rework with dedicated servers but I'm not sure how feasible that is. Maybe even in cooperation with LFM or RCO to get feedback what services like these would need in a new server system.

A service like this would probably also bring a ton of new people to AMS2 (and make Reiza a ton of money) since competitive, ranked online racing is one of the most important things for a lot of simracers (just look at iRacing popularity or the popularity of LFM in ACC and RF2).

• Agree Agree x 8
  15. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

[QUOTE="
    ByTheWay: Its good to see a youtuber who actually are able to control a virtual car pretty good :D[/QUOTE]

This is really a curious behavior, here in brazil is no different, the most famous youtubers in terms of followers are not fast drivers, usually they have no idea how to be a little fast.The super drivers we have that do lives are usually a lot less popular. Difficult to understand this.o_O

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. R00bDriver

R00bDriver Member

This is really a curious behavior, here in brazil is no different, the most famous youtubers in terms of followers are not fast drivers, usually they have no idea how to be a little fast.The super drivers we have that do lives are usually a lot less popular. Difficult to understand this.o_O[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's about the entertainment Value rather than speed?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

At any given point, development focus is where the bigger issues are, as we don´t have a big programming team and currently no-one with rendering expertise (looking for one though so applications welcome).

While the graphics engine does have its imperfections, I think most users agree it is not the area in most need of short-term improvements, so at this point there are no tasks for VR-specific developments in progress, and only a few minor graphical adjustments on the agenda.

That doesn´t mean you shouldn´t expect any graphics-related glitches to receive attention, to the extent they´re solvable on the art level we are constantly looking at minimizing issues and improving optmization. I´d need to know what fickering textures you´re refering to, but there are tasks in the bug tracker for the reported fixable ones on the art front (rather than rendering-related flickers which are not being looked into atm).

The issues with flickering sparks for the moment has been atoned by simply reducing the amount of sparks produced - there is no easy fix there and even adding the option to switch them off is more cumbersome than it sounds, but if on the longer run it´s an issue we´re stuck with we will look into providing at least that.

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. BrunoB

If you check out the video then he is actually able to save the car even when it is almost lost.
    But you can also see that he is pretty concentrated and are not speaking in the mic while driving.
    Like some of the more youtube entertainers are mandatory doing :p

19. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes... of course, that's also why most of their opinions about the dynamics of a simulator game worth little.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. BrunoB

Hehe oh glad to hear this.
    Then my comment about his virtual skills wasnt completely off:D