1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.4.8.1 & Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya Officially RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 2, 2023.

1. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sim-racers: "my sim is the most realistic, the others are all broken and weird."

Real drivers I've talked to at the track this weekend: "I hate sim-racing." *Proceeds to complain about cars not rotating as much on entry as they do in real life*

Edit: a lot of that hate was implied to be directed at iRacing, given it's the only sim some of them have tried. Weirdly, I went back to try the car our series races and it felt way better, IMHO. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the series drivers talked to the devs about the car.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Actually most of the comments are positive, it's the writer of the article in itself who doesn't feel convinced of the rear tire feeling of the cars.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am not sure what he's on about tbh. Oh well, kind of find the articles on RD of late to be compete crap anyway. Just filler fluff these days. It seemed miles better when Paul Jeffreys was part of the team.

• Agree Agree x 11
  4. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Let me guess "I can control an oversteer without the car snaping! OUTRAGEOUS!!!" Or something like that?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Jodurson

Jodurson Member

It's quite funny how part of the community and youtubers constantly criticize AMC 2 without even delving into the essence.
    They criticize both for the slow development of the project, and for the fast one. Sometimes they don’t like physics, sometimes they like it, but not completely, because the changes, you see, were too rapid or wishlisted items from the forum is not being implemented right tomorrow.
    But the game is positioned as a long-term project, which was based on a very ingenious game engine that has to be completed on the go.

*sarcasm/*
    But in other sim racing games everything is fine, there are no problems. rFactor 2 and ACC are perfectly optimized, iRacing and Raceroom both switched to DX12 with full implemented rain physics, etc.
    */sarcasm*

That posters from RD, that youtubers - post the same thing. It's not interesting anymore, it's just sad and smells toxicity.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I commented in the thread by posting part of the April Dev Update in which Renato explained the SETA/ISI and undertray bugs, and then I added:

"So, fingers crossed that these squashed bugs will help AMS2 to blossom. I trust that RD's writers will subject other sims' physics issues to such scrutiny." ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I can't really imagine a car where the rears don't react to the front wheels turning, but maybe that's something only wheel users feel.

Maybe that's also someone not setting up his diff for the track he's driving on, because then rears stay connected on low speeds, which will give you understeer.

I'm also not quite sure how that "tire flex" he describes influences the driving behaviour. Maybe he's driven the F-RetroG3's, which are a bouncefest on my end for reasons I don't understand.

8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

überlanger-gelenkbus-CapaCity-1310-640x320.jpg

• Funny Funny x 31
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

In the nicest way possible; come join us my friend, get yourself a wheel. While it would require you to give up your role as Gamepad Ambassador, I'm sure you wouldn't regret it. ;)

One of us, one of us, one of us!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Well according to that article on RaceDepartment, I would then feel all kinds of things that are fundamentally wrong with AMS2, so I'd rather not :D

• Funny Funny x 8
  11. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

And I wrote them a comment in German, have fun translating and then delete, i bet.:D
    This is the famous "summer hole".In german "Sommerloch".
    If there is nothing to write the press invents something

12. Apex

Apex Active Member

As a species we spent three million years as hunter-gatherers using rocks and stones against anyone outside our fifty-people group. Then we spent ten thousand years as peasants using farming tools against anyone with a slightly different dialect than our own, and about two hundred years as industrialized and civilized people fighting duels at dawn over petty insults and getting into pub brawls with people who don't live in our street, give us funny looks or support the wrong football team.

No wonder we don't know any better than to argue with strangers on the internet over stuff like sim racing physics.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  13. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You will probably get a ban for obscene remarks. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Learned something again... Where I'm from it's called "cucumber time" and it seems literally anything can serve as filler.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Dady Cairo

Me too,i like your name:D
    Cucumber time in german "Saure Gurken Zeit" fits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

True, we should go back to the other options instead, far more healthy. :D

17. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I never get into the weeds about physics, but moments like those are why I love having a friend who races. Someone who knows a thing or two about actually driving a racecar and who isn't talking out of their you-know-what like me and most simracers do. And he's so incredibly knowledgeable about racing and its history. Type of guy who will praise the likes of Mike Stefanik, Steve Park and Harry Gant. Then 3 hours later will praise Kevin Schwantz, Alan Jones, and Jonny Herbert.

I feel very lucky to have someone that knowledgeable as a friend. It helps that he has some unbelievably cool stories to tell like the time he drove an old Mantra F1 car. He told me that Mantra V12 was among the loudest engines he's ever heard, and he's driven a gen 4 NASCAR cup car.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Dady Cairo

- t :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

matra v12 sound - Pesquisa Google

Matra V12 sound = pure magic

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's interesting to hear real drivers input on sims. I will say that the elitism isn't quite limited to the simracing world, some drivers look down on sims as "completely useless" while others see them as a useful training tool or even just a fun way "to get that racing fix."

What I found interesting was the criticisms of some of our series' drivers on "sims" compared to IRL was the very stuff people often call out AMS2 for doing that they think "isn't realistic." Being fortunate to have my photographers pass, I'm able to get up close to the cars and have noticed a lot more about how they behave. Personally it's made me second guess a lot about what is realistic car behavior and what isn't. That said, I know onboards are much better at informing what the car is actually doing given you can see steering inputs.