1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is the main reason I don't even try it as long as there are options out there that match or are even better on some area and have MP systems that work good enough.

If it would be clearly cheaper, I definitely would try it. That subscription model + premium priced dlc on top of it is a big turn off. You can get all the other sims and their dlc and it's still clearly cheaper than iRacing.

Fortunately we have options. I just wish it would be more balanced what comes to number of active players (on the MP side where it matters the most). That pricing model also "locks" people in iRacing because they have invested so much into it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Iracing pricing model is ridiculous and the weather system is somewhat overhyped, it is the new # trendy thing to make videos and talk about after all.

But credit where it's due, it is definitely the best weather system right now on how the water builds and evaporates around the track, it's also IMHO the most realistic in that visual representation on the road, not graphically mind you, but on how it "looks".

At the end of the day I see this as a positive, competition brings out the best of us that are competitive, which I am sure Reiza are. So this will probably make them improve some stuff they might have not done otherwise.

• Like Like x 9
  4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly. No idea why so many are having a hard time understanding that.

Yeah yeah... sure I just set track temperatures right there on the game UI.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh! Very nice! Codorniz rellena de arroz congri is one of the best dishes on one of the best Cuban restaurants in my island.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Now I want an "iRacing conversion" discount for AMS2. 30% off if you show an active and invested-in iRacing account. Call it... aggressive persuasion :whistle:

7. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

If you want weather transition in a short race, sync with laps, try two slots with reasonable settings, like heavy clouds with any kind of rain, or more heavy rain to light rain or overcast.

Try to sync thunderstorm with clear sky 12:00 in 10 laps in a short track will push the realism too much. LiveTrack can do amazing transitions if have time to do It right.

8. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

Dude, do a simple experiment. Set-up a 10minutes session, alone, on Brands Hatch, two weather slots, dry and rain.
    Set the the weather to scaled to race distance
    Park yourself at the bottom of paddock hill, and observe the puddle to grow before your eyes as it starts to rain.
    There is obviously acceleration. And if I remember the UI tooltip correctly, it is even stated. The only benefit of automatically scaling is that you don't have to think about what acceleration to set to experience all weather slots.

And a 10minute spell of light rain in overcast conditions is not "unrealistic" but a typical weather pattern.
    And when we're talking about iconic places, like nordschleife, or spa, sunshine to 5 minute rain, to sunshine is exactly that kind of weather these places are known for.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 6
  9. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes there is acceleration, every wheather slot is 1h, so when you set the race to 10 minutes with 2 weather slots in sync to race, every weather slot is still 1h but accelerated. This is just a limitation of the game currently, which is a problem because if in a 10 minute rain it rains for 5 minutes of a weather slot, in reality thats 1h worth of rain, which is very confusing for a lot of people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

I don't mean to discredit the work of the SMS team and the many, many qualities of the Madness Engine... but goddamn if some of the technical decisions aren't completely baffling. The weather time slot limit of 1 hour, the syncing of the replay to LiveTrack, the P2P multiplayer, the livery ID system...

There's so many of these weird design decisions that seem so... hacked together. And completely short sighted - it's like they really didn't think about future-proofing the engine. I can only hope that Reiza can continue to use the engine to its fullest, maybe they get some technical help considering their partnership with S4.

I can't help but pity Reiza for having to constantly wrangle with Madness's shortsighted features. :(

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

They might’ve been pressured to do these things, but the 1 hour slots might’ve been an easy thing for a complex task. Thought it didn’t fix it

12. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No one forced them to choose this engine. They weighted the pros and cons, in the end they thought it was a good choice.

In some regards, it is a pretty nice engine. In some others, it is straight up awful (p2p!!!).

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

It was the best choice at the time. But I doubt Reiza anticipated SMS shutting down (and thus support for the engine dying) or the many headaches that the Madness Engine held in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Dear Marc, I am glad that in your system it all works ok.
    If this is the case, then I am afraid Reiza has a much bigger problem than what we are discussing here, because it means that the sim is running differently from machine to machine.

Just for the sake of "scientific" proofing.
    Here some videos showing evidences of what we are trying to say.

I think, and hope, that explanation is not needed.
    Just check how the water builds up in tests 1 vs 2 and 2 vs 4.

1) 3 laps race, rain weather static, "real time" time progression, no weather progression, light rubber Livetrack preset

2) 2 laps race, 4 slots (2 overcast, 2 rain), "real time" time progression, "sync to race" weather progression, light rubber Livetrack preset

3) 2 laps race, light rain weather static, "real time" time progression, no weather progression, light rubber Livetrack preset

4) 2 laps race, 4 slots (2 overcast, 2 light rain), "real time" time progression, "sync to race" weather progression, light rubber Livetrack preset

I am 100% supporting Reiza, they are doing an astonishing job, I am sure they will raise the bar even further, because they have in their hands a true gem and they have the experience, the passion and know how to make it shine as we don't even imagine yet.
    I am not even considering this "issue" of the weather system as so severe or gamebreaking at all, but I just want things to be called as they are, with clarity and transparency.
    But please, let's just not act as blindfolded fan boys. It is just detrimental to the sim, to Reiza, and to the community.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

I didn't test this yeat, but I believe LiveTrack start with default time to scale the amount of rain in a different pace if you set just two laps sync weather.

One thing Reiza can do to solve this, If can access the code in Madness Engine, is keep the pace of default weather changes to 1:1 even in short races with weather changes. With this, the changes in water falling on track and temperature changes will be more realistic in these scenarios.

16. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you actually seen the transitions in iracing?

17. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

there is so much nonsense being posted on this matter now. weather in real life does not work like that! first all elements are integrated and have time applied to them at the same rate, they are NOT SEPARATE! nor can they be separated from time itself in the way you describe, in ten hours of time you get ten hours of weather, end of.

18. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I want my grave stone to say "I did many things wrong in my life, but I never spent a penny on iRacing"

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Preach brother :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

@Ernesto_171's original point is completely valid. The experiment referred to is one that would "push the laws of physics."

Despite all the hyperbole on here about this topic, my original point stands. You can use unrealistic settings and get unrealistic results, or you can pay attention for 10 seconds and realize that the weather can be set to three choices:
    1. Sync to Race
    2. Real Time
    3. Accelerated (to various x factors)
    How is there surprise that when acceleration is chosen, various elements of the weather are accelerated?

How is there surprise that if you pick sync to race and choose a ridiculously short race (or session) length that you will get acceleration-like results. It isn't acceleration per se, but if you choose to combine that selection with a very short (as in never used in real life, ever) session length, it will effectively be the same as an acceleration.

No one is forced to use anything other than real time for any purpose except in your own imagination. If you want to use unrealistic weather or time acceleration for whatever of your own reasons, have fun. Just don't come on here complaining about acceleration not resulting in realistic results (unless you can handle a reply from me). Or, especially, don't suggest iRacing is better in this regard when they purposely avoided the whole problem by not allowing any acceleration of any kind (surprise, they picked the maximum realism approach and would have a very difficult time getting acceleration to co-ordinate for online races, just like AMS 2 does). iRacing can be better in ten other ways, but not related to acceleration-caused issues.

Is any of this that complicated to figure out?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    • Dislike x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1