1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I kinda thought this was the case, but never tested it myself and wasn't sure do I remember this correctly or not. Thanks for the confirmation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I wouldn't go that far, but I think for majority, it's not so easy to understand how those acceleration features really work and people end up doing stupid things with the race setup as a result. It's also very frequent, especially with some (most?) community race organizers to throw in multiple weather slots, time acceleration for relatively short races unfortunately. To me it makes things a bit arcade like and breaks the immersion.

Some of the options probably would be better under some advanced section with clear as possible explanations of the consequences using one in combination with others. Then also limit what are the options depending on race length... so it wouldn't that easy to make something that doens't work well in practice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

iRacing has quite obviously pre-determined wet and dry paths that are not sensitive to where cars are driving. It's pretty evident in the transitions.
    You also can't see when the track is damp/barely wet: you see spray but the track looks completely dry.
    Puddles aren't really there: majority of the track looks like a continuous mirror-like surface.
    There are good things in the iracing implementation indeed, but let's not get ourselves overwhelmed by the novelty of the thing and the hype and let's try and look at it with neutral eyes
    Edit:
    video for reference
    Twitch

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Steering away from the wet race discussion, I think a modern F2 is the missing link in the open wheel class. No plans to add a generic F2?

[​IMG]

• Agree x 20
    • Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  5. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

From my playing around with it so far, and I really want to stress here from the outset I have no horse in this race, I've subbed once before for a month to see what it was like and then again a few days ago purely because I was curious about the rain update. I imagine when the months sub is up I will forget about it again.

But yeah, from what I've experienced at least, what you posted above just isn't correct. As the track becomes progressively more wet the the surface depicts this in a clear way, it becomes very obvious that first the track has become damp, then wetter in certain areas, then puddles forming, the track becoming saturated and then clearing depending both on conditions and where, how many and how often cars are interacting with a given area of the track. You can even see in the video that Dan posted on twitter, that was linked a few messages above, that by blocking the track he could clearly show how this influenced the drying line. There is also a clear visual difference between the wet racing line and the rest of the track. It literally does all the things you've said it does not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Same experience as Chonk from my side regarding iR.
    It's fully dynamic and I would be suprised of the opposite.
    As already said also I am not a fan of its graphics, and also the driving feel.
    I prefer much better ams2 on almost all fronts.
    ACC on the contrary has baked-in drying and rubbering lines, which is a really off-putting design choice for a sim IMO.

7. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Agreed.
    I've been asking for F2 for years. Taking into account all the generic F1 cars in AMS2 I don't see why Reiza doesn't add a generic F2 to fill the gap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ettore

Man, Dan himself from the first day says that the transitions are off. If you watch his video right now the track is getting dry on the inside line whereas everyone on wet was driving on the outside line. Result is people at Daytona T2 brakes all the way to the right and the left side is still wet, which is where people drives on wet.
    Same happened at the chicane at Road Atlanta: the left side where almost no one is driving is dry and the right side remains wet. Dan was braking all the way on the left overtaking everyone else easily.
    On Daytona on the banking the bottom of the banking where water should pile up there is nothing different from the rest of the tarmac.
    Dan is driving in the wet without wipers going by the way and no issues (I believe to remember a few weeks ago quite a long thread on exactly the same subject here with people criticizing AMS2 for that until the new windshield rain came out).
    We can have different opinions, but finally there are also facts that we need to acknowledge.
    As I have to say that the fact that only 4 spots of weather in Madness Engine is a bit limiting and definitely iracing system has a very good flexibility there as well as the radar.
    I would also like to have some sort of forecast (vague or with probability) added to both systems

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  9. chonk

Literally from today.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ettore

Literally I have been watching Dan's races for a few hours. Sorry but the video doesn't really show what I am telling you: there is a pre-determined path for drying. T2 is very visible, same is the chicane at Road Atlanta.
    Apart from social media posts to judge one needs to see the races and how they go and I did. And I saw what I saw. Can't unsee it because of a post. Can't state that what is clearly wrong (track drying on the left side at Road Atlanta while people drive on the right) is correct because of a post.
    Look at this: lots of elevation changes, not a single real puddle. And you can see that the often (not in the vicinity of the apex but reaching the corners) the most translucent part is on the line and not off the line.
    Twitch
    Again, not to bash nothing, but just to say that now saying that iracing's wet is the holy graal of all wet systems and the benchmark in general is a bit of a stretch.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. chonk

Well dude, all I can say is that what I've experienced personally is the opposite of what you've stated. How much time have you spent with it yourself?

edit: just as a side note I have never seen floods of water forming at Brands Hatch.

12. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Holy **** you're right, how didn't I notice?? He's literally driving in the rain with no wipers. :eek: Not only that, the so called "spray" looks more like smoke than actual water - he's driving in rain in full spray and yet his windshield looks like it's being dried at the car wash! :D

Not to mention that horrendous droplet transition. Windshield is full with droplets, then he goes over 110 km/h, and poof! Suddenly everything transforms into a couple of thin streaks. What even is that lol

13. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Honestly, I am not at all saying that iR is any holy grail for anything,
    I do not even use it since 1 year because I find AMS2 far, far superior, after being an avid i-racer for 5 years.
    The other guy said that he has no interest in it and will dismiss the sub after this month.
    Why does it always have to become a boxing match between A and B?
    What I do not like, however, is the casting of final sentences without actual proof, without posing a doubt, without the will to dig deep to understand how things actually work.
    This I do not like, but I understand that I am part of a doomed (and mostly silent) minority.

Edited for source:

timestamp:00:50.

Of course they can officially go completely lying publicly, that is an option for sure, but it should be proven.

• Like Like x 2
  14. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can't afford iRacing, simple as that. No criticizing, no bad mouthing, no hidden meaning. Just humor.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

This long discussion has made my brain go inside out :confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. DinoM

DinoM Member

I don't play iRacing, but it looks good based on videos. It looks like they've been working on it for twenty years ;). :D I hope that in the next and subsequent updates in AMS2 we will see further improvements in this area and of course in many other areas as well, so that you don't have to think about how good it is for iRacers. :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

As it is with every game/sim out there, including even iRacing. But iRacing also has "protected areas" for the minority of highly ranked/rated drivers who don't want to mix with the inexperienced.

Can you give any example of open lobbies on any racing game/sim in history that isn't full of casuals? 'Cause I have never seen one and I am old enough to have been around for all of them...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I didn't say there was very little to no acceleration in scaled-to-race settings. What I said was if you pick an unrealistically short race or session, then you will get unrealistic acceleration. It's not a 1:1 ratio, but for most "normal" or plausible session lengths, it shouldn't be a particularly noticeable phenomenon.

You left out the most important piece of information from your demonstration required for anyone to judge one way or the other--the session length. What was it?

19. JohnH

JohnH Member

As much as I dislike assists, ghosting and other similar arcade features like those they are there for a reason. As stated in the 1.4 development video it's an advanced simulator that never forgets to be fun and accessible, I find that approach admirable in a simracing world where circle jerking around expensive equipment and grumpy nitpicking about every single minor thing is the norm.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. kivipallur1

kivipallur1 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

AcTuALLy, tbf, there is one glitch in real life too with windscreen and droplets. You can put the wax, that bikers use for their helmet visors, on your windscreen and not use wipers on highway when going 100 km/h plus. Not sure what happens in the race when there is spray from other cars too and not only rain.

• Like Like x 2