Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

A race car is setup the opposite of a road car...it decelerates almost violently at low speeds if you take your foot off the accelerator quickly. This is due to several factors, one of which is the fuel delivery to the engine (designed to maximize performance, not smoothness or quietness). In AMS 2 this is represented by the "Engine Braking" value in the garage setup, for cars that have such an adjustment.

If fuel flow is increased (as @Joaquim Pereira suggests) by using higher numbers, the car will be smoother on deceleration and as you let off the gas (less engine braking). This is also something you can achieve with softening diff settings. Of course, you could accidentally have the fuel flow/engine braking and the diff working at cross-purposes if you set them in opposite directions simultaneously.

Remember, lower numbers/less fuel flow = MORE engine braking :)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

WTF. So I always understoid it backwards then!?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thats the first time ive ever seen that explained that way. Now the numbers actually make sense. I even remember people asking back in the PCars days why the numbers where backwards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

The UI designer has two choices:
    1. Call it fuel flow, which requires that you understand the technical relationship to engine braking (even that there is one!).
    2. Call it engine braking, because that is the characteristic we we want to adjust in the garage.
    #2 is more directly relevant, but requires we understand the "backwards" numbers. Probably OK, because if you are bothering to play with the garage settings, you will be able to figure it out (there is a tool tip in the game!!!). Those who don't touch these settings, or just use set-ups from others, don't need to know ;)

5. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

It's not just AMS2, almost all games have this problem - lack/insufficience of useful information/tips to the user. These games are complex enough, not need to leave uncommented features and make it harder than necessary. It's something I struggle to understand.

And we say the industry is full of real simracers, people that understand our needs. BS. They are a business. Period.
    I think ACC's success was due to Aris (not physics, not graphics or even GT3) - people really learned how the sim work and felt part of a community.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

I means that's kind of exactly what AMS2 lacks, isn't it - better community interaction outside the forums. In the forums they're great, but you can't only communicate with the people who already love and support your game :oops:, you gotta reach out to new fans too (which I'd say Aris' videos definitely did).