1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

Does the high beam coming on and off show in replays ? If it does I’m doing something wrong

2. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The high beam only changes the light beam. If you look at the car from the outside, you don't see any brighter light on the headlights. However, I don't know whether the stronger beam of light can be seen in the repetitions. Only the devs know whether this will ever be adjusted

3. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

That explains it , I was running a practice session midday and had mapped the button. Coming along the straight I thought I’d turn the lights on and then cycle high beam on and off to see what it looked like on a replay which I guess is why I didn’t see any difference from the standard lights.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. The Walker

The Walker Active Member

Super noob question, but what's the high beam for? Flashing? Better light to see at night?

5. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Better light only, currently, because it does not flash visually on the model.

6. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

yes and it is also helpful to improving accuracy of send morse code. high beam can be used as dah (long signal);)

example:
    .--. .. -. . .- .--. .--. .-.. . / .--. .. --.. --.. .- / .. ... / - .... . / -... . ... - / .--. .. --.. --.. .-

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. MrGit

MrGit Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can you translate that into rtty please.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Flashing is safe, just not automated. Simply switch the high beam on and off again in quick succession. That's what you do in your own road car too
    Edit:
    I have to revise my statement, as you cannot recognize the high beam on the car by the headlight but only by the light beam, the headlight flasher is of course not visible in daylight.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nils Naujoks

Nils Naujoks Member AMS2 Club Member

I was working with the BMW drivers (ROWE and WRT) since they had to prepare for their ACC races. None were using iracing to prepare for any irl race if it wasn't for a lack of the track in another game. One of the AMs was doing many hours in ACC preparing for track days. But that's more down to the laser scan, rough corner speeds, markers - eventually reducing time needed on the real track to adapt. He could push much earlier, get more data relevant laps in, beat their non-simracing but more irl experienced team mates.

They all also complained about things here and there in acc. for example the lack of a dynamic rubber line. the one laid down in the game is a static one - it improves in grip over time but it remains in place and doesn't widen. So in ACC you often can't drive where they drive irl cause the rubber defines where you have the most grip.
    Best example was pouhon: in ACC once you touch the outside kerb in the middle of both corners, the car loses grip and understeers - or if you just clip it with the rear you'll at least lose some speed from the looming snap. IRL once they go onto the kerb the front bites because there's so much rubber laid down on that kerb over time.

None of them would say: "yeah, we gotta be scared of the car as we approach the limit, its about to die any moment like in iracing!" - its more like "we push like crazy, hammer the brakes initially, but certainly more trailing as in acc, especially with aero load decreasing. ABS functions much cleaner and you can rely on it".

So I guess it depends a lot who you ask, which car they drive etc.

Also not two BMWs are the same irl. customer teams treat the car a bit different, they take out or replace parts to "hack" the ride height under load and things like that.

The main weekness in ACC is the diff behavior, which locks very early with low power ouput, so you always have to be rather aggressive to overcome the understeer effect by the diff locking with enough torque to slip the outside tire and keep the rotation alive. they'd manage the throttle much smoother irl with more torque immediately available and also more options with the diff. theres only preload in acc which gives you basically no options. clutch plates would help, and irl they just change the fluids to get different coast and power locking effects, and then just throw the diff away after the race.

tl;dr don't take an individual real driver's opinion for a wholy grail, their opinions differs as much as ours. there are also bad irl drivers, not everyone qualifies to comment.

• Informative x 21
    • Like x 13
    • Agree x 4
    • Friendly x 3
    • Useful x 1
  10. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

All these stuff reminds me a bit on a story a mate told me a couple of years ago. He was at university here (BMW land) and there was a course about driving dynamics. The prof stressed many times why a brake should not squiek when activated due to this, that, and and and.
    Some time later Walter Röhrl (yes Walter Röhrl...) was there as a guest speaker. The first thing he told about brakes: If a brake does not squiek when you brake hard, the brake doesn't work properly :D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This certainly is something we all need to keep in mind with STM and other physical tyre models, that the slip curves are an emergent reality of all the different simulated components of the tyre interacting with the track surface and environmental factors.

I'm not a fan of Daniel Morad tbh. You can dislike ACC for many different things, but he would go as far as calling it 'not even a sim'. That was the moment I started ignoring him as I think that is highly unserious, and disrespectful to people like Aris who spend their free time streaming and explaining ACC physics and vehicle dynamics.

People already mentioned this but we'll never get all the real life physics that are going on when a race car hits the track. It's always going to be an approximation and It'll always be off in some way. One area that could be interesting to explore more in the future is track evolution tech. I'd love to see LiveTrack 4/5/x one day taking it to the next level. One thing that drivers often talk about is that track conditions and 'grip levels' change all the time due to many factors. Improving this technology could be a significant step forward in achieving more realism in sim racing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. morpwr

morpwr Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You arent trying hard enough.:D

13. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

14. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

If it's true, I think the team don't have a clue how Madness Engine rendering works. But i'm tired to point obvious things, for sure.

15. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Still pre warmed for race it seems, but cooler than the usual 80oC, starting at about 58 now

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I am pretty sure that’s what Renato said here on the forum at some point. Devs much prefer working with engineers than drivers due to their technical knowledge and ability to translate what a car does or doesn’t do.

17. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep this is true from "other sources" as well, not only do they prefer the engineers but the engineers come with data, numbers, specific details etc.

You can often see chief engineers rolling their eyes when a driver gives a feedback during the course of a season, the latter knows best but the former knows the facts!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Maverick Knight

Maverick Knight New Member

It would be a shame if the correct lighting was not implemented properly by the devs.

Realism? No way!

If you look at the front of the BMW M4 GT3, you immediately notice that two headlights do not light up at all. (Neither with standard nor high beam!)

19. The Walker

The Walker Active Member

Completed a 3h race at Daytona with the help of the AI.

Started from pole but couldn't run away as Phillip Eng would stay between 1.5 and 2.5s every time. Almost 25 minutes into the race there's a FCY that lasts for a couple of laps, this will be extremely important for the cars which started with a full tank like me, Eng and Button.

After the restart I lost my lead to Eng but I stayed within 1 and 1.5s. Lapped cars start to show up when we transition into the night, I am able to build a 7s gap between me and Eng and Button when I spun due to a contact with a lapped GTP. Roughly 40 minutes into the race it starts raining, with a lot of cars who had boxed before rain hit the track with me, Eng, Button as the only GTP cars out. GT3 and a slippery track make the battle super close as I lose the lead and after a couple of laps it's time to box for wets and fuel when Eng hits a GT3 while lapping it, which in return makes me spin and I go into the wall right before the oval section. I limp towards the pit lane with a broken suspension and hand the car to the AI. After repairs we find ourselves dead last in P12 (in class). The AI double stints and is actually able to recover to P6, when I get back into the car for the final stint. I'm struggling with the car for some reason and as I'm pushing to close the gap for the pit window I lose it at the chicane with 15 minutes to go.

Dunno if the update from yesterday improved AI in lapping slower cars, but I saw some improvements, they still struggle, but a bit less than before

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

He has been very direct, true, but when you look a bit in details ACC if you know about car mechanics you clearly recognize a very high number of blunt simplifications or unrealistic behaviors. Honestly ACC may have a great "environment feeling" package, but AMS2 and RF2 are head and shoulder on another level of details wrt the attempt at a simulation in depth of the physics of a car IMHO. Tuning may occasionally be off (sometimes even more than occasionally) but ACC does certain key (for me) things in a totally naive way to say the least.
    From tires behaviors (pressures seems to be the only thing that you need to work on, temperatures are for info only apparently at least until you spin and flash heat them, the most recent hack ofmax pressure on wet tires), to suspensions settings/behavior to differential behavior with ridiculously low pre-load settings.. The list is pretty long for something that proud themselves to be the best GT3 simulator

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2