1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, not disputing what you say, just saying that old GE end up feeling different, and trying to determine the reasons why. The Group C cars have many of these features, and they don't have skirts. I'm not criticizing how AMS2 simulates GE, in fact I really like how it works :)

Constantly sliding surfaces are something that I figure should be VERY tough to get right, so you need to play with the numbers you can tweak to reach similar results. I was surprised when I learned that the Jaguar XJR cars designed by Tony Southgate had the front end slammed on the ground and constantly sliding over the tarmac. Don't see how that could be simulated to a tee.

2. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think SIM racers take the term "on rails" too literally as well. It seems that most people take this to mean "there is no sliding at all" and that just isn't the case. Onboard F1 cameras don't do the amount of sliding these cars do justice. There is always some slip angle required to go fast.

I saw a video the other day from WRC where Craig Breen described the car as on rails... He was power sliding around on gravel!

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

OK lets take this again.
    Eventhough I dont have a degree in car physics then the reason I included the "the speed of the car over the ground" thing is that its obvious (pour moi) that there is a difference between the way wings/spoilers produce downforce and then the way both the venturis does work and now undercar ground effect.
    It is correct that skirts to keep the intended lower air pressure under the car inclosed/sealed is prohibited today. But the strange aerodynamic elements on the lower sides of the car body is introduced to help seal the underfloor - without skirts.

Hehe and my last "argument" to make the abrubt thing plausible is that the socalled "porpoising" that suddenly kicked in was pretty abrubt. :whistle:
    Which means that the downforce produced by ground effect does not raise gradual like produced by wings/spoilers but can/will kick in much more abrubt.
    Because both porpoising and the whole ground effect is dependent of the "sealed" air under the car.
    Me say :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

And the marmot greets you every day :DJust try playing :p:p

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Yes, without active suspension an actual F1 car need front and rear wings to first do the job to lower chassis and GE works. In theory, at least. I don't know how it is made in AMS2.

6. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Reminds me of when you do a rolling start race and you get manual control mid-corner lol. Luckily you start ghosted to avoid carnage.

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes he was, as elaborated by others above, but with English as a second language for many writing and reading, this could be misunderstood fairly easily. The grammar is not precise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hey Ernesto I did agree (somewhat) with you about the abrubtness in the downforce/grip kick in.
    Now I have just checked this out on LM 24H - as a special service for you :p
    I have to say that I cannot feel the abrubtness/sudden kickin.
    Sorry:D
    The car has a lot of grip but more or less like the other high downforce formula cars the grip is at the drivers service as soon as the speed rises above 50-70 km/h.
    So your placebo thing is probably correct.:whistle:

ByTheWay: Im only posting the TT LB list as a documentation of my service for you. And absolutely not as bragging :whistle:

LM-UltiG2-LB.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Spie

Spie Member AMS2 Club Member

He doesn't have to, that is what he is inferring. Maybe you should do some more thinking, and work on your comprehension skills.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

I have a question. Simulators always strive towards realism. But how do players know which simulator is the most accurate?
    I personally always compare AMS2 and other sims with onboard footage of the real racing cars. Is that a good way?
    What I always see is how much grip those race cars have and it seems to be in general more than AMS2. I also watch to their hands a lot to see how much more corrections they have to do and to me when you watch footage of many AMS2 drivers it seems like they have to countersteer a lot because there is not enough grip.
    But I am mostly interested in how we know how we know if a simulator is realistic?
    Most of the time we haven't driven the car and if we have it is a total different experience with Gforces, the way we sit in the car and feel it.
    So yeah I am interested how we as customers can judge this if we can? Is this even possible?

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Jason Bradshaw

Jason Bradshaw Member

Quick question, following the recent advancements in physics to the game, are there any plans to update the paddock at all? The driving experience is extremely immersive in VR but the only thing that lets it down now for me is the Pit Crew animations and not having the ability to match pit crew liveries with the drivers and cars, sound effects and the emptiness of the pit lane in general. is this on the roadmap?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Without doubt that is not what was meant. What he meant is that even the tires from 2 years ago in his opinion were preferrable to the other more digital renditions from other sims. Simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

To be honest, if you have no real-world race car experience (best), no real-world karting experience excluding rental/kiddie karts (better), or no real-world high performance road car experience on a track or a safe area where you can actually push the performance envelope (good), then you can only judge based on objective measures such as which elements are simulated and to what extent (e.g., the new ACC tire model is objectively more sophisticated than the original one, the AMS 2 tire model is objectively more sophisticated than the one in AMS), and, how closely lap times and so forth match the real-world versions that are being simulated. That's kind of tedious and boring, so the primary judgement should be which sim brings you pleasure or an immersive experience. Even the sophistication of the simulation is only ever as good as the details honed and massaged by the devs. There are people who dislike every major sim that is lauded by other people who think it is the best. No need to make things overly-complicated unless you are a real gear-head who can tell the difference--just play the one(s) that brings the biggest smile to your face.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. tsumo

tsumo New Member

To drive this point home even further, I have seen people with experience driving real race cars fast praise and hate every sim. There were a couple people with track experience who thought the old, literally broken tire physics of AMS2 were the closest to reality. If you're really searching for the most realistic sim, most of them are pretty much matched, just in different areas (and what those areas are, we're probably never actually going to figure out because even real racing drivers can't). As Collins said, just drive whatever you think is most fun.

Or you can argue about it in forums and make the moderators dread the mere thought of having to check the forums

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

where does this one rate?

17. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

2/10, almost saved it...

• Like Like x 1
  18. TKracer

TKracer Active Member

Well you are comparing a pro race car driver to an amature simracer, regardless of sim vs real life they will be driving differently, using another setup.

I'm glad i'm not the one doing all the work because it's probably so much to consider.

In my opinion any game that can simulate weight shift, oversteer, understeer is good enough to be a simulator. Coming from Forza, NFS games when I was a kid to my first sim in 2016? on a G29, I struggled to even make it around a track. I had to learn all those concepts of weight shift, understeer, countersteer. That is just the fundamentals of driving and every sim I tried simulates that to a degree.

What we usually do is end up arguing of slip angles and other very minute things, that in the end of the day won't be close to the real thing anyways.

So arguing what sim is the best is probably pointless, they are all good too teach you the fundamentals but not good enough to simulate real life.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TKracer

TKracer Active Member

But to further expand. I think the karts in AMS2 is eerily similar to my karting experience.

That small amount of steering inputs needed is just the same. The way you lose all momentum if you start sliding is just the same. How it skips over pavement in tight turns is the same.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. BPsurf

BPsurf New Member

I wish the Mustang GT3 will someday be Part of the GEN2! That would be awesome!

• Agree Agree x 21
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1