1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So, I went back and did some practice sessions and TT sessions and I think I found what I had an issue with: the soft tires.

In the races I did the other day, I was fine on the medium or hard compounds, but any quali running on the softs felt extremely unpredictable. While running a race on the softs and keeping tire life in mind (i.e. not pushing 100%) the car felt better, but in quali laps it felt like the level of grip was constantly changing at the rear. While doing a TT session (which doesn't have tire wear), the car feels completely fine other than suddenly snapping in some corners with compressions/dips. The car on the softs in practice or a race feels way more sketchy than it does in TT.

Watkins isn't the best example of what I had issues with given some of the corners can be taken flat. Indy Road Course, Montreal and a few others were the tracks I'd been driving where I first noticed the weird behavior. The other Formula Gens "near" that era feel much more predictable over several laps, which could be this tire compared to the others.

Given this seems to be an issue with me not understanding the tires and not the aero, specifically given how that era of Pirelli was often described, this is probably correct. The tires just seem more fragile in regards to temperature and wear in their current state (lockups aside) than previously.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just to further this, if anyone here is like me, and you can't help but find out what your car either can, or can be pushed to do (yes I know we all love it), do it in a safe environment! Cars are usually 1 tonne death machines! Never ever muck about if it anit safe!

3. DavidGossett

I meant specifics to certain race cars like a 2012 F1 car. I know the basics, I've slid cars around IRL in safe environments, and I've had simracing muscle memory keep me out of accidents.

I was talking more about the behavior when chasing the last 1% of pace. I know from conversations I've had with real drivers about how each tire/car/series wants something a bit different. I also know that sometimes that optimal driving characteristic isn't always replicated in sim, that's why every car you drive has to pass the "sniff test" (i.e. is this close enough that I believe it). Given everything I've heard about Pirelli's, it's probably not too far off, I just don't like driving that tire.

I was just confused about the rears and was thinking more in aero given the blown diffuser (try to get the absolute maximum out of the Brabham fan car, and you'll see where my line of thought started). Tires make more sense, especially after feeling how different it feels without wear or sudden spikes in temp.

4. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Safety tips from a terrorist of tarmac, the world is evolving! You sure your blood alcohol level is still in the safe range? ;) Takes one to know one I guess.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Tarmac Terrorist

Can't say I've had the experience you have, can say I'm insanely jealous! Having never driven on slicks I'd imagine the experience to be beyond what I've ever thought of as grip! All I get to do is use violent LOO around quiet areas at night in a FWD Esate car it's fun but when it's you're everyday car, it really gets that thing in your head which is "no one is here, you're safe!" But at the same time part of you wants to go down to the local race track and he'll for leather it, get proper sideways! But you just can't, out of respect for the f9lks who run the place. Feck me I wish I had a spare car!

6. Tarmac Terrorist

Well as a certain Mr Kieth once said "too much blood in my alcohol stream" and he's still alive! Myself, well... I don't ev3n race online if I've had a drink these days, but I've done some interesting tests with a.i. offline. Turns our obviously you are best when totally awake, after a bit of vigorous exercise, a walk or whatever. After a couple of pints you actually could be faster, I guess due to an enflated ego. After more you're lap times go downhill, fast! But above all, if you're sober but tired, it's by far the worst! Slower, and much more likely to crash! But now here's the wild card... if you are high on what grows straight out of the ground (if you know what I mean) you don't get faster, but you're racecraft (within the pack) gets nearly better! Go figure that one!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Tarmac Terrorist

Don't worry about my blood, just jump in a car with me, I will get you're blood pumping and no doubt about it mate! I always wanted my next car to be RWD but because of economy I had to settle for FWD. I'm so glad that happened now, the challenge is better! Give me a moment, if I can find it, you'll see what I mean in my next post,!

8. Tarmac Terrorist

Right, just found it, my favorite video on the slillynet, and something I fully intend to do, watch this!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. DavidGossett

:eek: That's insane, never seen a FWD box link Meihan before. Sliding one is easy, but linking transitions that smoothly without relying on the throttle to do most of the work is impressive.

10. Tarmac Terrorist

When it comes down to pure driving physics,and don't get me wrong because i love AMS2 and if you know me you'd know that, for so many reasons! But when it comes down to pure driving physics, it's really not that far off, but I still go elsewhere for closer to the real thing! You probably think I'm talking about something current... nope! Something from a decade ago! And I'd bet my life on it, infact I have! Now imagine AMS2 with that, and all it has to offer (which BTW most other sims dont!) And you've got a muthfudging king!

11. Tarmac Terrorist

In'it!

12. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I was intrigued by this , and as i hadn’t driven Watkins Glen in over 8 months or longer and the F-Reiza in twice as long , i thought it would be interesting , but i also don’t spend frequent time in fast Formula cars either so have to adjust my senses a bit . But i found initially what you were experiencing, with slightly unpredictable loss of rear grip or downforce, I was beginning to think it may need some ride height changes as perhaps it was bottoming out on the dips.

But i persevered and tried to understand how the diffuser worked and what kind of throttle application feeds it best and started to get some confidence with it as long as i kept away from bad habits of chopping down to low a gear and lacking in delicate initial throttle I eventually found myself going quite quick and fall only just behind Bruno but still some way off your times .

But in summary, i feel like it’s pretty good to drive and i suck at Formula cars.

• Like Like x 2
  13. manfer

manfer Member

The solution was to delete all old strategys. Now it works!

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

At least I consider this post more reasonable because you both try to back your completely subjective oppinion of this car up by testing it out on track - and after that admit that it is you who have problems and not the car.
    You could be right about the soft tires. But I dont think so. Why? Because I use the softs myself and even with low pressure the car feels completely stable. No sudden loss of rear other than what could be considered "realistic".
    My 5 cent to this is that you probably/maybe are using too low rihi. Because my experience is that even if the car are not bottening out then it does become hysterical if you use too low rihi.
    So check it out with more rihi and you will probably like this little marvel like me:D

ByTheWay: Oh I just saw Maddogs thinking about the same rihi thing. So my 5 c are maybe worth 10 c :p

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  15. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This bit might be the issue in this whole convo.

I don't know how good you guys in this discussion are, but I've seen Gosset in more than a couple online races and he is pretty damn fast.

For me the car is nice, but I for sure am well under the limit of it. The issue reported might only be noticeable when reaching that final 1% of performance of the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Without proper FFB, the cars are much easier to control, because the wheel does not want to brake your hands when rushing over curbs and bumps or when you try to correct a mistake.
    Have tried that for fun for example with the turbos of Retro Gen 3: With very low FFB, I can easily control the car in any situation with one hand on the wheel. But when using my FFB settings, it really gets stressful quite soon.
    Don't get me wrong, I do not wanna make fun of your disability, but you might take in account that a rather advanced FFB provides a complete different feeling for cars in any simracing title.

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. BrunoB

And dont get me wrong when I say that almost all serious sim influencers/youtubers does say when they review a reasonably advanced DD wheel that the self-correcting force/movement of the wheel more or less does yes correct the car when about loosing it in corner slides. OK?:whistle:

ByTheWay: You dont have to be afraid of making a friendly fun of my "disability".
    Because its not extremely severe. Its "just" a sports injury. I got it 30 years ago when playing badminton (on highest level).
    Instead of the mandatory achilles tear I got a leg muscle tear instead on my lower left leg.
    An achilles tear can pretty simple be stitched together by operation. A muscle tear cannot.:(

18. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Finally had some time to set up a simulated 24 hours of Le Mans, but it has been quite a disappointment.

I set the opponent to around 103 (typically I am okay around 105 other classes). In qualify if I do my best this can lead to a pole position, but with traffic typically I am in 4th of 12 (multi class race) which is fine. However, when the race starts I am getting obliterated by the AI, I have no chance, I get pushed aside by the whole pack untill I'm last in class and my pace is completely off. This is while having the battery set at qualify during the first lap.

Any recommendations for racing? Should I just leave qualify off, since it doesn't match with race pace?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

Probably too easy and not what you want to hear but I would drop the difficulty to suit a good race.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. BrunoB

Just a hopefully fair accepted question.
    While the LMDh cars was available as a free testout I got so disappointed that I didnt buy the DLC.
    I did consider the cars way too heavy and impossible to get rotating in an enjoyable way.
    I admit that I mainly are driving the formula cars in AMS2 because of the hysterical and nimble feel of such cars.
    But have found a few of the Proto cars and group C OK-ish.
    But I got disappointed of the LMDh because I felt they were more like trying to drive one of the trucks.
    And trying to understand if it was only me I could see on the TT LBs that these cars are sloow compared to faster formula cars. And I have never wanted to be a London bus driver.

Do you guys feel that Reizas virtual version of these cars are convincing?

• Funny Funny x 2