1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.5.0, Le Mans & Endurance Pack Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.5.6

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Fduct is a drag reduction system.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

But it isn’t the same thing

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. HijabiKathy

HijabiKathy Active Member

F-Duct isn't the same as DRS, but also if we had a version of the 2010 cars in AMS2 it would be a DRS button much like the F-HiTech as, in that it's lowering drag even if not current F1 DRS

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. wegreenall

wegreenall Active Member

Just out of curiosity, was the main AI speed boost at Maggots on Silverstone GP? It always used to be so frustrating that they'd go so fast through there! Looking forward to testing it if that's been reduced/removed...

5. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

Perhaps the problem is linked to the lack of gear change animation when choosing an automatic gearbox?

6. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

So do these AI tweaks mean they're more spread out again rather than the pack racing style they ended up regressing to?

7. Yerffej

Yerffej Active Member

To be honest, i haven't got a clue, i know before a few updates ago, it all was working well.
    Its not a game breaker by any means, but would be nice to have a bit more feedback for controller users, especially on rumble strips and kerbs, some work and some don't. Unsure if it is a programming thing.

If i download a track from a certain modding place, all the kerbs and rumble strips give feedback, which makes me think it is a programming side for the current tracks.

Hopefully it will get sorted. 600+ hrs in this game with a controller, is the most i have ever played a game for.

8. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's working in different ways.
    DRS is done mechanical with changing angle of attack of wing, FDUCT impacts airflow / causes a stall. But both system are to reduce drag. So both systems can be called 'Drag Reuction System' (DRS).
    Yes, sorry, mixed up the words FDUCT and DRS

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

First F1 race weekend at Indianapolis in 2000:
    Friday morning training, teams started with low donforce because of the loooong S/F straight and the banked final corner.
    Some tried with medium/high downforce and were faster so all teams switched to this aero config.
    High downforce of McLaren and Minardi
    upload_2024-2-13_16-8-44.jpeg

Indeed, making this option will generate more issues which have to figured out than the effort you get. However, it would be interesting to try and test different aero configs.
    But currently there are other things which are more important to generate, optimize, fix, implement, and so on.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tested yesterday (beta build with these changes) with a full grid of GT3 Gen 2 AI (grid sorted by performance with simulated quali) for a 30 min lap race and shortly after a few laps car where nicely spread out.

11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Yeah if this game has to be considered a sim(ulator) its not overly realistic to simulate a restriction that does not exist in RL. :whistle:
    Hehe at least you sounds a bit more openminded than people who are only able to disagree to anything they either cant understand or believe is cast in stone :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  12. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

I doesn't 'simulate a restriction', it just doesn't have a feature implemented where you could select whatever variant you want.
    And considering some other issues and features that are waiting implementation, I would guess that a feature that has no practical use, outside of trying it once or twice in practice session, is pretty down the priority list...maybe even below snow.

But what do I know, I cannot understand anything...

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

The Caterham Supersport, the Caterham Superlight and the Caterham Academy are excellent to drive. On the other hand, the Caterham 620R is very difficult to drive. No matter whether with settings Default, Default+, Customs or no FFB at all. There's something wrong with the physics here. Maybe Reiza can fix it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Dolph

Nobody said its the same thing - this is a strawman that you just put up, but its a drag reduction system nonetheless. Whether you like it or not. And the poster pointed it oud quite clearly in his post.

15. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

In reality teams are able to mount rear tires at the front and front tires to the rear if they feel like it, doesn´t mean there´s value in simulating that :p

Everything we work on has to be put through a cost / benefit assesment as there are countless features and variables in reality that are not necessarily represented in the sim - some of them very pertinent from a simulation perspective, some of them not so pertinent but very cool from a gameplay perspective, some of them both, and some of them neither. There is only so much time and resources to deliver on such features so a degree of reason is needed to decide what battles are worth tackling, and how to tackle them - those design decisions are pretty critical for any game or sim and are especially so for one with a scope as large as AMS2.

For this particular topic, there is a pertinent simulation demand to having cars looking and perfoming / handling more appropriately to certain outlier tracks for which the simpler cost-effective solution is just having one or two variants to the standard model with visuals befitting those outlier tracks, and physics / default setup for player and AI alike to suit them, so that´s what we went for. There are limits to it surely, but it solves the thick of this specific problem.

If we were to go all out, ideally what one would want is the 3D mesh to be automatically adjusted according to whatever user has configured in the setup, along a wider range of default setups according to the track´s characteristics so both player and AI would get something more suitable for any given track out of the box. To deliver on that we´d first have to code that functionality, model all these mesh variations for all cars in the game for which that would be pertinent (to the degree they are not simply a change in wing plane angle - remember we don´t use this just for F1 cars), and then develop the suitable presets for each track. Think of the amount of time and effort required there vs the overall value that would add to the game; while it´s not out of the realms of possibility we eventually will be able to focus more on smaller nitty gritty stuff like this, it should be pretty clear that at this moment there are still more critical things warranting that time and effort, so that´s where we try to keep them going to :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 9
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

That makes sense - but Im not talking about "countless features and variables" Im only talking about reducing 2 different setup modes to 1.
    The reason I included ref to RL was only to use an argument instead of just an oppinion like: I wish this or that because I feel it is right.:D
    I admit that Im not specially focused on the graphic mimic of the downforce version.

ByTheWay: The main reason I brought this up is because I have sometimes wanted to test a higher downforce setup out when there was only low downforce awailable. Just to test it out. Because when Im focused on TT mode I can often see that on certain tracks where its only possible to use low downforce a high(er) DF would probably be faster/quicker. Thanks for responding - at least :)

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Dolph

How will you make this work for the Porsche 917K/LH and 908/2 regular/LH? Both short and long tail variants raced at Le Mans together. At the same time the factory supported teams brought 908/3 cars to the world championship events of Targa Florio and Nordschleife in the same year instead of the 917. Its a real conundrum. Basically John Wyer team used 3 different cars through 1971:

Here the 917 K and LH are at Le Mans
    [​IMG]

1971 917LH
    [​IMG]

1971 917K
    [​IMG]

1971 908/3
    [​IMG]

Is it possible for me to simulate a World Championship 1968/1970/1971 season somehow with correct cars on track? Its a real tough one.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    • Like Like x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In rF2, there is that option to select from multiple aero variations on some cars and frankly, I don't like it at all. Just just pain in the butt if you don't know in advance for sure, which options is going to be the best. It's twice as much work, you basically need to build setup for each option (that could work in theory) and even with 2 it's just a lot of extra effort. It kinda sounds it's more options, but often it's not, it's just figuring out what is the fastest. With unlimited time, it might be fun, but I rather use that time for racing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. jtortosen

jtortosen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you changed anything on the Ultima GTR apart from the FFB? Now it seems to be a little bit more docile, or rather, it wants to kill you less and doesn't seem so boaty and unstable. Still, it's still a very, very strange car to drive, boaty and unstable compared to any other car (including the F1 LM, which feels more planted and firm). Is it really like that? It's a car you have to be very careful with when changing elevation and cornering in terms of the rear end wobbling and getting lost? From the way I see it and from the way I see people drive it on youtube, it doesn't seem to be the case....

In general I've always found the Street Cars (F1 LM and Ultima GTR) to be the worst cars to drive ingame. At the slightest touch you lose control and crash. And I don't dare say why that is, just pick it up and drive it.

Apart from that, I have tested the Caterham supersport and it drives fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

The 620 has almost double the power of the Supersport for just a bit more weight and running on semi slick tyres with no driver aids - I don´t think it should be as easy to drive as the others and is certainly more predictable than on previous physics.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2