1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5.6.1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.5.6.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Yes, the new cars are beautiful! Models and textures. I just pointed in bug section that tyres in low car details have a little problem in LOD, because rear tyres have a gap in model that is really anoying.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Guillermo D. Luque

Guillermo D. Luque New Member

MY Game it´s completly ruined after the update. It's not saving anything after any action... I tryed unistalling everything, including the folder, and still remains the same...I read on Steam some people it's just like me...Any idea?

3. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Check if folders have become read only. The settings are saved under documents folder in windows?

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Fiyah

Fiyah New Member

I noticed a very small bug (if it even is!) in the Vehicle selection screen, if the filter is set to all, I can see the 2024 Stock car icon, any other filter and the 2024 Stock car icon is not in the list.

• Like Like x 2
  5. tennenbaum

tennenbaum New Member

I can confirm. You described the issue very well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RDG

RDG Active Member

Have you tried opening the differential a bit? The guy who makes the default setups for the cars really likes a closed diff it seems :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Brandito509

Brandito509 New Member

For me it's the only downside from the update. It's ruin my custom championship

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Joaquim Pereira

Joaquim Pereira Well-Known Member

The issue about breaking...
    Despite what I said, I can agree about easyness to lock on certain cars/circunstamces, but not on others - it's common to, as a test, brake hard at 50-80 Km/h and the cars just goes into a smooth stop, without locking. That should not happen on a racing car, it shouldn't happen on ANY car.

The major problem still is the effect it has on car dynamics. Take Porsche 963 @ Le Mans, it's easy to erode FR tyre by locking it on some turns, but the lock itself was little effect on the breaking power/distance. On another sim, same combo, locking is as easy, consumes tyres pretty much like it does in AMS2, but I end up forced to make the turn on a different racing line to get stability back, probably loosing a place or two in the process. I really fear locking in that sim, I fear not in AMS2.

If I push BB unrealistically forward (like 80%) it becomes easy to lock front tyres and the car really extends breaking zone by a lot, the wheel becames light and uncapable of changing car's trajectory. AMS2 does this correctly!
    Could it be Reiza just needs to tame down locking effects, like smoke and sound to communicate correctly what the car is doing?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  9. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My thoughts after a couple of races;

• Cascavel upgrade is a delight, the 3D trees really make a difference alongside the other improvements.
    • Overall it seems much darker in VR under cloudy/light cloudy skies, perhaps a touch too dark.
    • SC2024 with it's new tires are great, I feel like there's a better connection to the track.
    • AI, they're still far too slow through the double left hander and too fast into turn 1 when alongside the human. I've often felt this sim would benefit from an RF2 AI Learning System, from my (vast) experience working with that I think something similar in AMS2 would go a long way to alleviating troublesome corners where the AI are poor, instead of having to wait for manual editing.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. TotallyTroll

TotallyTroll New Member

Didn't notice any difference in tire behavior with new Stock Car 2024. Maybe it's still because I can't find a sweat spot in FFB settings (imho the worst part of AMS2. I'm about settings, not FFB). Anyway, these cars itself is good in general and pleasant to drive.
    Providing new tires for something like Gen2 Formula Ultimate is worst idea ever. With such insanely fast and downforce equipped cars - it's impossible to feel what's going on with tires.
    Why not a GT4? Where you need to rely on a tire feeling. Play with weight transfers. Not that much downforce to spoil the feeling. And in general, you have some time during a corner to 'taste' a tire behavior.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

Ibarra
    old vs new

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

mh, don't see a big difference to former times
    Hedge looks like before, same model, same appearance
    ss143612.jpg

13. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

New is too dark, a point which I raised on the beta but that not too many are agreeing with. Combine it with a car whose windshield also darkens the exterior and it's much worse.
    I hope updated tracks will not end up looking like with these questionable ENBs that darkens the image on the premise that "it looks more realistic when its dark".
    In a bright sunny day, grass and vegetation are not supposed to be looking creepy dark green (unless maybe you are facing the sun).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Some relevant notes about the F-Ultimate Gen2 tires (also added to the OP) as there seems to be some confusion regarding their wear rates:

The F-Ultimate Gen2 has 3 tire compounds loosely representing the 5-compound range of the real-life Pirellis (C1 to C5, former being the hardest and the latter being the softest option IRL). In real life, Pirelli decides on which 3 compounds of the 5 available they will take to each event based on track characteristics, weather forecast etc. For races like Spain, Japan and UK for ex. (all tracks with predominance of long high speed corners run in reasonably warm weather) Pirelli usually takes the 3 hardest options (C1, C2 & C3). In tracks with predominance of low speed short corners like Azure, Spielberg or Montreal it´s the other way around, with the 3 softest compounds (C3, C4, C5) usually being selected

In AMS2 the medium tire is based off C3, while the hard is sort of a middle ground between C1 and C2, with the soft a middle ground between C4 and C5 - this is the compromise we´ve settled on until we can support different compound selections per track (if and when that happens). What that means in practice is that if you´re racing at Barcelona, Kansai, Silverstone and even Interlagos, the soft tire in the game is actually softer than any of the compounds usually taken to those events, and it will tend to desintegrate within a few laps of hard driving in a race fuel load. On those tracks you should only race with mediums and hards to better match the selection teams actually have for those events (unless you mean to do a lot of pitstops :) )

It´s important to note also that wear isn´t equivalent to degradation - the 3 compounds won´t lose that much performance over the initial 50% or so of wear bar as indicated in the HUD (1s or so depending on the track), but beyond that point degradation is steeper, with tires really falling off a cliff in the last 20% or so.

It´s also important to note that wear rates are directly related to the way they are driven - the more the driver attacks corners, the more friction is generated on the tread which will tend to accelerate the wear; because of that and the somewhat sensitive nature of the tires, drivers seldom if ever push 100% in races in real life because the lap time gain won´t be worth the extra wear and potential extra pitstop it will earn them. Hence the smooth style of rolling into and out of corners being pretty much mandatory during races for most tracks.

Whether that is how it should be in the pinnacle of motorsports may be open to debate, but that´s how it is atm and thus how they ought to be represented in the sim.

• Informative x 33
    • Like x 13
    • Winner x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Friendly x 1
  15. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the new version looks much better, more natural to me and little less cartoony, using a monitor myself, so cant judge how it is in VR, but on my IPS screen it looks really good

• Agree Agree x 7
  16. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I made my observation in relation to my IPS screen, although in VR it might be more pronounced.
    Your opinion is probably in line with the majority. To me, the old Ibarra much better conveys a sunny day and does not look cartoony. Bright and slightly washed out does not mean cartoony for the same reason that contrasty and darker does not always mean more realistic. I do appreciate the added detail in the new Ibarra, but the lighting is a bit creepy to me and not what I imagine a bright sunny day to be like there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Tested now 20 laps in Interlagos against AI - 110 Max agression. First try can go from 10th to 4th and survive all race with same set of softs, and feel like AI losses almost the same performance than I driving in a conservative way. Amazing work.

Best SP experience i have playing with formula cars in any game. One yellow flag because virtual AI Stroll and Magnussen going into a barrier in a batlle that last tree laps for 4th.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I agree. I compared Stock Car 24 to Stock Car 23 with the same setups in Default and Default+. No other driving behavior it is completely identical. Maybe it's due to the only partially revised thermodynamics and the wear, as Reiza writes. But in the current state there is no change, it is 1:1 the same, no sign of this hysteresis. I can't say anything about the Ultimate Gen2 because there are new tires.
    The rest, as always, excellent work from Reiza

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

And still big fps drops in that area

20. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Did the AI at any point defend from your passing attempts ? I tried two 10 minute races and they never did, neither on Medium or Maximum aggression.