1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Dolph

Dolph Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

OK, I admit, time trials are completely useless to prepare for racing. There is no benefit at all to be gained from it. YOU WIN!!!!!

Also, learning the lines at Suzuka sector 1 over 100 laps had zero use. I gapped everyone up to 0.5 second every lap there. But according to you this is useless. Honestly, its hard to find and read such clueless statements, but there you have it. I have no words. You must be trolling. Anyway, youve earned a place on my ignore list. Life is too short.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. lion9zion

lion9zion Member

I 100% agree with Dolph, and the reason why Time Trials matter to me is that I spend 99% of my time in AMS2 in single-player events. I'm split between two activities: half the time, I'm racing against my personal bests in Time Trials, and the other half, I'm racing against AI in various scenarios.

• Like Like x 7
  3. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Huh?
    I have no idea how you interpreted my comments as "Time trials are useless" when all I said was they're a different discipline to racing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I know it never gonna happen but it would be great if Reiza would use the same much more "realistic" TT format like iRacing.
    Difference is that in iRacing your fastest lap will only count if it is run in sequence with 4-6 other legitim/faultless laps.
    In this way there is less chance that 1st corner heroes can dominate the TT LBs ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Isn’t that a bit like what they do around ovals?

6. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think time trialing is a competition where you try to ride one lap as fast as possible. And not three or four laps.

7. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Some are, some aren't. If I had to guess Time Trial (IE Indy qualifying) of average over multiple laps and Time Attack (IE Tsukuba time attack) is one lap? Maybe? This is me talking out of my butt, as this is something only those who are familiar with the real life scene would know. Once again, just taking a shot in the dark here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. andy_east123

andy_east123 Member

I find using the TT function of the game the most efficient way of honing a compete lap and car setup.

I’ll use the top ghost and follow it as best I can. Along the way you can identify not just your own weaknesses, but also (hopefully) those of the ghost that you’re following. I’ll keep going until I’m satisfied that I’ve understood how to achieve the times that I feel I can achieve and repeat it.

Then I’ll move on and do 30-60min races against the AI and try and beat my best race time (essentially a 30-60min TT but without a ghost) and try and keep every comparable lap within .5sec of the fastest (always JCW Mini for me, so it’s nicely balanced between tyre wear and fuel load)
    I’ll also have races where I’ll start from the back and try make a super clean and sensible race without incurring any damage to myself and not compromise any other car.

It is amazing how easy it is to fall into the first corner hero category. It does take restraint and discipline, especially when you’re chasing a time or a delta. I have an internal rule that I have to start again if I compromise another drivers race. As soon as I started doing that, I soon learnt to race cleanly.

I’m just very grateful to the creators of it that they have supplied a product that gives me something I enjoy doing.
    There is more than enough variation in the game that there will always be new ways to mix things up.

It will be nice to have the TT’s back. I’ve recently added the American tracks and the premium tracks to my list. So lots to learn.

I find the differing opinions and ways of playing the game very interesting to read.

• Like Like x 6
  9. BrunoB

OK I just learned something new.
    From the time I abandoned ship from iRacing they have created a new SP mode called Time Attack.
    The difference between iRacings Time Attack and Time Trial is that in Time Attack you only have to be able to drive 1 single lap (hello 1st lap heroes this is for you).:D
    And the fastest lap counts.
    While in iRacings Time Trial people have to be able to drive consitently a sequence of 4-6 laps.
    And its only the average of the sequence that counts.

What is a ttRating?
    Time Trial
    A Time Trial is a competition between you and the clock (and everyone else and the clock!)
    You are on the track alone and must try to record the fastest sequence of laps without spinning, going off the track, or having contact with a barrier. Any such incident will invalidate your current lap sequence, and you will need to complete another full sequence in order to better your time.
    The Time Trial time is your average lap time for your best sequence of laps in the session.
    The number of laps in a full sequence varies from track to track, or from configuration to configuration.

iRacing – New UI and Time Attack Challenges Announced - Inside Sim Racing
    Time Attack
    The principle is simple: A car, a track and a leaderboard, fastest time wins.
    You have the track to yourself and you can really push your car and your driving skills to the limits.
    In order to place a driver on a leaderboard, the driver’s best times from each track are added together to form an overall time, which is then used for ranking.
    This gives you the opportunity to make up for slower times by being faster on another track.

10. pvly

pvly New Member AMS2 Club Member

Before I started racing in organised racing leagues, Time Trial was the only viable mode to play in this game from a truly competitive standpoint. Like @The_Neo_One said, it’s an asynchronous multiplayer experience. It offered a consistent and highly competitive gaming experience against other players. Whichever car and track combo I picked, I could be sure there was a fast driver’s time to aim for and beat. Racing against AI just doesn’t cut it for me, no matter how good they are or realistic they behave. There’s just no fun in beating (or losing to) a computer. Multiplayer in it’s current state isn’t ideal and the open lobbies are mostly a random mess, usually just oversaturated with GT3.

• Like Like x 2
  11. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

I imagine the plan was to have TTs down for a week or so? 3 months is a long time for a fairly major feature.

Oh well, what ya gonna do :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. BrunoB

Challenge each other manually like some of us are doing in the official TT thread here :D

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Demeisen

Demeisen Well-Known Member

Ah, hm. I think whatever AC2's issues are, it'll kill AMS2 dead on release. Not for the forum members of course, but certainly for everyone else. But then there's Reiza's other thing. Now if that has all of AMS2's many charms and less of its flaws, well that could be a mahoosive hit, even in the face of the AC2 juggernaut. But...the end is nigh here, methinks.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  14. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that will be the case. As much love as AC 1 gets and ACC too, neither have ticked the boxes for me. Little is known about AC2 so I'm not ready to place bets on it yet.

For AC2 to even have a hope of affecting Ams2 for me it would need:

• Well optimised graphics, especially in VR (something their last offering failed miserably at)
    • Easy, quick hosting of MP sessions (again, something ACC doesn't have)
    • A good mix of F1 cars and tracks as well as them feeling as good or better than AMS2 (I have not been overly impressed by that in AC1)
    • Great ffb (something which ACC is not great at in my opinion, at least, not without extensive tweaking)
    • To have a good range of content not reliant purely on modders.
    I have no idea if it will or wont fulfil those needs at launch, but based on ACC I am not going to hold my breath. I've repeatedly tried to get into AC1 and ACC and just can't do it, they get in the way of just driving or playing with friends, to the point where half of the content has been left untouched in both; having to join deserted servers locked on one track/car type that have 3 hour long practices or join official races. That or in AC having to spend hours wrestling with shoddy dedicated servers.

Bottom line, it would have to be drastically better than anything that studio has done in the past and I have seen nothing (yet) to make me believe that is likely.

Still, I'm hopeful it will be great and cater to everone's desires but that unicorn has yet to show itself. :D

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

I hope we get that feature sooner than later. Perhaps it has been left out purposely until the physics are settled, but we should be able to see the best time set for each car and track layout combo, if one has been set, once we load into said combo.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. ozcanuck

ozcanuck Active Member

I don't really bother with Time Trial much( the land of aliens and exploits and I suck), but it's still fun to try to get a PB. It would be nice if the game kept a record your PB for car/track combos in single player races, too.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

There is literally zero information about AC2. Your claim has no support. Plus, a release of some thing does not need to kill the competition, specially in sim racing where each sim has something different to offer. For instance, while I graduelly shifted to AMS2 as my main sim, I keep launching everyone else regularly...

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This, but I'll go even farther and say a good collection of vintage motorsports content. In AC 1 and even PC 2 vintage motorsports (more specifically tracks) feel like a gimmick more than a feature. Sure you get a couple of late 60s/early 70s tracks, but if you want official tracks from the 80s or 90s you're SOL. Over the past decade no other studio has proven their dedication to vintage motorsports more than Reiza and thus when the dust settles that will be what sets them apart.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Biggybaz

Biggybaz Member

Back on topic a bit, does anyone know if when the new update has been released, if they may create some new beta keys for the development of the next set of updates? I would personally join if they do

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Very unlikely I think. Last time between first opening of beta and the next one they took more than three years...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1