Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Ader Pontes

Ader Pontes Member AMS2 Club Member

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What wheel do you use?

3. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Cool story bro

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I did look at YT (example here below) and to me it seems pretty similar to how I drive in AMS2 and pretty different from the constant opposite lock REQUIRED to keep the car in check in RF2 out of every single corner.
    What you see in the video isn't necessarily the ONLY way to drive a car without hitting a WALL: cars can be drifted indeed, the real question is if that is the fastest way around or a sustainable way around lap over lap. That is why, while cars can certainly be drifted in/out of corners, they are usually not driven that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

Unfortunately for some people it says "Error - This member limits who may view their full profile." :confused:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

You should be able to ignore someone by just pressing their name and then ignore

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Deleted

8. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow, you definitely know how to get straight to the point...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 19
  9. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

Generally I agree that for the most part AMS 2 implementation is matching real life car behaviour. What I have found problematic is something which can be explained as physics exploit. So on the provided onboard video you can see how careful driver is on corner entry and that main steering input for the corner comes after brakes are released and when car is seatled. What I have found in current build of ams 2 with this car is that you can flick back end of the car on the corner entry in order to get more rotation. Since this car has rear placed engine you will see that nobody is doing that in real life because they would end in wall/grass/sand. Once you do this in current build of ams 2, instead of fighting for your life, back end gets magically self stabilised. Its like you have electroniclly controlled diff which handles back end once you have done the flick.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

Concision at its best.:D

11. Ettore

If you see the video he gives quite a lot of steering input. The reason is at turn in Porsches aren't good because there is no wait at the front.
    Not sure what you call flick, but at my end it's definitely lacking front end rather than having excessive rotation at turn in. Are you meaning something else? Are you meaning mid way through the corner? Can you do that 10 laps of a hot track? What tire temps do you read? Are you using just baseline setup? Are you talking about slow corners or fast corners?

12. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ultimately I believe it is set up related. I changed the rear diff and lowered the aero and it becomes extremely twitchy and have to be very careful on entry and on throttle mid corner. The other great thing about AMS2 is the amount of adjustments that can be made with the setup to make the car behave as you would like. So if you want it to be have more like the 992 in rF2 than you can.

13. Ivan Jurković

Ivan Jurković Member

I am talking about base set-up and possibility to use aggresive trail braking on the corner entry which causes back end to slide in some strange self stabilising maner. I can see on real life onboard that they are using high steering input, but they do so once braking phase is over and when car is seattled down.

14. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

My two cents about Porsche 992 flick back end:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ettore

Don't know about that.. This to me looks like a good 35-40% of the peak braking force at that corner with an angle of almost 30 degrees in the steering wheel
    upload_2023-7-27_15-16-16.png
    Will have a look at the same track as the video tonight but honestly until a few days back, in the Beta, the car with the new physics didn't like at all the rear sliding.
    I mean, you can physically slide it if you really want, but you are neither faster nor you can be consistent as even without sliding it the rear tires get very hot.
    In an 8 laps run at Termas de Rio Hondo, with hot temps you are out of rear end already even driving sensibly.

16. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This is an important point to highlight. One simple fact is that on any given track one should use as as least wing as possible to reduce drag, and only as much wing as necessary to keep the car on the track through the life of a stint.

If the physics package can duplicate a desired outcome in feel one is looking for, then it can duplicate it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Moza R21.

I just did a race in open loppy with the Group C Nissan R89 C and it was on Road America, track was only like 17c (which is actually pretty same as the default date weather). It felt like I would be driving a speed boat, the sensation of the front was so weird, smooth, very loose rubbery, zero feel of the road. Rear had grip, so I was able to drive that thing, but it just felt weird. After the race, I tried the car on Ibarra, which I guess is rougher surface and much hotter track, and it was clearly better. Then tried again on the Road America, and again that same speed boat feeling. Maybe it's as supposed, I don't know, but definititely didn't feel like driving a car.. as if the scale of the effects goes to something that feels unnatural when the grip level is low enough (old track, hard to get tires warmed, rear heavy car etc.). Honestly the feeling was ****, but fortunately it was the first car I have tried after 1.5 where it like that.

18. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can't say it is my experience with the car. Just took it around Taruma for a couple of laps on default. That track provides plenty of trail braking possibilities but as soon as I got a bit feisty on the brakes on entry, I would either get into lazy slides that I could recover from but the lap time was destroyed or I'd just spin out. Perhaps it's a talent thing (or rather lack of it) on my end.

While it may or may not be too easy to recover when the back end goes, I have a hard time seeing how anybody would get the car in its current state around a track faster when consistently kicking the tail out vs driving it "properly" but probably now I've said this, some alien will post a "911 Cup Tokyo Drift World Record" video :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Michael Phillips

Michael Phillips Member AMS2 Club Member

Follow-up on my earlier posts regarding ffb issues with my logitech g pro wheel.

I put a lot of time into the beta. i really enjoyed it, and the ffb in the live version was not the same :(

I tried a bunch of stuff to fix it and nothing worked until i remembered to check something super dumb and frustrating (i remembered to check this because its happened before).

I have onedrive backing up my computer and at one point a year or 2 ago it took a backup of my documents folder. I believe when i deleted the ams 2 folder from my local pc documents it pulled in the old onedrive copy of the folder and put it on my local machine.

after deleting the folder from both onedrive and my local machine and running file verification in steam the ffb in the live version is back to that sweet 1.5 ffb i know from the beta.

Not sure if this happens to anyone else, but its mostly default onedrive settings that caused it so id be surprised if its only me.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Keep in mind, the V1.5 Reiza basic FFB profile has a few, additional lines of code (57 - 63) compared to V1.48:

(smth_ctrl ( crossover (abs axis_vel_int) 0.005 0.1))
    (smth_time ( * 0.05 ( bi_smooth smth_ctrl 0.1 0.001)))

(parkingForce ( smooth parkingForce smth_time))

In some cases, OneDrive synched to My Documents might still have loaded up the previous V1.4 version. Simply delete the version on OneDrive, and AMS2 will automatically generate an updated FFB file in My Documents the next time the sim is launched.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2023