Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

That sounds plausible

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Deuce

Deuce BANNED BANNED

Dude's in-game ALL THE TIME... kidding me... I've not seen much from producer on specific MP improvements planned or implemented but have seen many posts from folks on MP improvements needed... Is there and MP improvements made list somewhere? This Roy guy seems to love the game and plays it way more hours than many in this forum I suspect... maybe the sensitive guy in charge should be the one in the game more and less in the forum... too many childish comments to customers I reckon...

• Dislike Dislike x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

“How to win friends and influence people”

I didn’t read that kind of response in that book that was customer friendly

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. whokilledduncan

whokilledduncan Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Not "controlled environment, on a reliable server, with mostly the same people, all from the same part of the world".... Not to say there mightn't be internal tests closer to this scenario, but I can confirm that the standard beta multiplayer tests include people from all over. The IMS test referred to had at least five participants with UK flags for example.

5. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And how many people were in that server, and was it a dedicated server or a ingame created server?

• Like Like x 2
  6. whokilledduncan

There was over twenty people as I recall. I have no idea re the server details I'm afraid, as I don't pay attention to that in beta. I've only ever seen one live session when Reiza are hosting MP tests so I just click on multiplayer and then on whatever lobby is there without paying attention to server type. Sorry.

7. Roy Niessink

No worries, cheers for the reply.

Ofcourse i would be happy to help out if needed/possible to provide server logs of my server when the major disconnects happen with a high (28+) playercount on the server, as that would benefit a lot of people.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm sorry but I can't take this post seriously, MP was neglected from the start, we still suffer from random disconnects, there are 0 admin tools present and there are all kinds of bugs and glitches which increase with the amount of players present (especially on an international base). Maybe lobbies are fine with a max of 15 players present on a local base during beta testing but that simply isn't the case the other way around. There were supposed MP improvements present for the 1st time with the last major update, but we didn't notice any difference so just decided to suspend MP alltogether.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No. Beta people are races between people in the 5 continents. No proximity at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Ettore

What that meant was that most of the people who were participating are developers and beta testers with good hardware performance and connection etc. The world has a lot of users that have average or erratic performance networks with servers sitting on unknown performance nodes. That is not the same level of risk for the lobby as one made of the average users.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Me listening 80/90s
    upload_2023-8-11_22-25-17.png

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

So what are you saying, that most people have crap for internet. So to play MP you need to have above avg networking (what would that be, minimal specs of?) Mister Dog has said it’s so bad that he’s no longer doing MP

13. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Maybe they (Reiza) should select a couple of people from these forums who think the MP is extremely bad for them and do some closed server testing with them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. Ettore

I'm saying that there are many cases (even in the US, no need to go in third world countries) where people do not have choice of internet provider and the only provider available doesn't have fiber for instance. Or people who pay for fast internet but their actual download/upload rate is very theoretical and they suffer from significant fluctuations (I have plenty friends with such issue and even streamers suffer from it, e.g. Casey Kirwan is known to have such issues). Many of them won't even know/notice about it unless they are playing certain online games as videos/Netflix will normally buffer, while playing MP in AMS2 if your freaking rate goes down to zero for 10s the entire server goes to the bin because the architecture is what it is, including people who never had an issue with the connection in their life. Disconnections or lags/de-sync may hit people in the server who did not cause the disruption themselves, such is the P2P architecture.
    That is what I am saying.
    The restricted group of developers and testers who were participating to the Beta test before PC was opened again is mostly made of professionals (developers) and players with pretty above average set-ups and as such the results of the tests may have not been totally representative of the average players' situation. That is all Renato was saying. No elitist second meaning.
    Mr Dog, whose league I have been honored to race with occasionally, is racing with people on both sides of the pond (Europe, North and South America and some even in Asia), so definitely not easy to manage. MP improvements are indeed needed, I also root for a change in architecture, but while requesting improvements, it is undeniable the effects that the netcode revision has had.
    I've seen Mr Git racing with 25+ people from his community with no issues in v1.5 for several races. Doubt it was only luck, possibly the fact that his community may be more concentrated in UK/Europe may have helped.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

I’m in California NorCal and fiber is not common, at all, the MP is what it is. I came aboard for the CART cars and Group C GT1 & MP4/4-5-6. A iracing since beta 08 excited new uncharted sim with an icon series CART. Sadly those cars have been neutered now but still some fun but easy, too easy. I need too place ams2 in the right category for me, a hot lapper, single player.

I don’t see ams2 being a MP sim taken too serious. League races, you practice, practice your qual, race, do a mock race prior. Then you get in the server and chit happens. All those hrs & hrs practicing for nada! No mas!

“I would not expect Automobilista 2 to appeal to everybody or even to most sim racers”

He’s right ^^^

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Budgetek

Budgetek Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have to laugh if you mention flags. Its a total mess in AMS2. Being from Czech Republic many times Brazilian, UK and other flags are shown by my name. Another MP glitch.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

often the flags are off by one line. It's probably because when a player leaves the server the name changes the line but the flags don't go with it. But yes it always bothers me too. Was already in pCARS2 times so.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GeekyDeaks

GeekyDeaks Member AMS2 Club Member

Just curious, but are you using the dedicated server? That does have a crude admin interface that can let you do a few simple things. The most useful to us is advancing the session from practice to quali then to race. The same feature allows you to restart a race, so if someone forgets to press 'ready' you can reset everyone back on the grid.

On the other stuff, yeah, we have experienced some frustrating behaviour, but ever since we have disabled Online Reputation, things have been noticeably better on the disconnects and hiccups in game. I'm actually struggling to remember the last time we had a disconnect, I think it was when we tried turning the reputation back on two months or so ago. Still get people saying there is a flying car from time to time though! :D

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. whokilledduncan

Yeah, I often see incorrect flags too, but I am in Scotland so at least one of those U.K. flags was correct….. ;-) I think WarmRed may be right about the cause of wonky flags. Same thing happens with chat box comments if the writer leaves the session.

20. Roy Niessink

The flying cars you mention, you mean like high up in the sky like a balloon? If you do, that happens because you force the server to the next session, the person that sees that car up in the sky, doesn't see the car visually on track, but can still hit it, and damaging it without being affected themselves.

We had those issues when we used the auto advance feature on JustRace, which basically does the same, force an advance to next session, to make sure that qually starts at the preset time.

• Informative Informative x 2