1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Low-frequency effects - Wikipedia
    Probably used for shakers or motion rig

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

LFE is low frequency effects. Basically if you have a sound output with 2.1 (or higher) then it's like a separate volume control to boost the bass sounds that come out the subwoofer.

Perhaps too for the fancy pants rigs that use sound to wiggle the seat? Not 100% sure there. Maybe Russians use these for someone to tell them chess moves during a race?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dosda Pierrick

Dosda Pierrick Active Member AMS2 Club Member

low frequency effect (i'm too late)

4. B Stu

B Stu Member

Deleted

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

polar bear in your pfp looks thirsty

6. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

+
    +
    Thank you. I will leave it as it is, as I use just stereo.

Abração!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure LFE actually has a very noticeable effect currently, you're not missing anything significant.

8. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's very noticeable at my end. And I am glad and grateful for this option because otherwise I had to limit out my subwoofers bass setting to make the V8s sound raw/deep enough. :) . Funny thing is: LFE can't be recorded. (I tried to make a comparison video a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Xenix74

Xenix74 Member

A small question regarding the LFE. Is this option useful for Simhub/Bass Shaker or is it just acoustic in nature for the headphones ectect....?

10. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

LFE is for audio. Not shakers

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Mmm, interesting, I'll have to have a deeper dive into it.

12. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

TonyKanaan - Twitch

TK is about to practice in AMS2 for the Argentinian leg of the Brazilian Stock Car championship next weekend.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. dryheat94

dryheat94 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ninja'd. I posted it in the Video's section before seeing your post. Wish I understood what they were saying. 3.2k viewers and climbing.

14. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Cannot watch now but I would appreciate if some of those that can tell us later what ia the opinion Tony has of 1.5.0.5.

15. sgsfabiano

He said the Stock Car in AMS2 is not realistic (but noted he isn't using any proper setup, so he said he 'shouldnt have said that'). When asked which of the BR Stock Car is the best between AMS2 and iRacing, he said the AMS2 one is better, but they are working on iRacing's to make it better.

Then he mentioned that some specific turn I missed at the Buenos Aires circuit is very likely to be pedal to the metal IRL, but he wasn't able to do that in the sim.

Anyway... I've learnt to not expect AMS2 (or any other sim) to be close to reality, no matter whoever claims it is.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

You will rarely find audio gear that can reproduce below 5 hz and doing so is almost pointless, LFEs are focused on 120hz down to 3hz but practically never go that low.

In music a kick drum is almost never lower than 50hz. Synthesised sub-basses can go down to around 16hz. Most studies would suggest humans can't hear much below 20hz, if at all. Below that point it would be felt not heard, assuming you had a device capable of pushing 3hz.

3hz wouldn't even sound like a tone could you hear it (more like tapping), literally, it is 3 cycles (of the driver) per second, you could watch the speaker driver moving.

From what I understand LFE was created for film allowing extremely low frequencies to be isolated from other channels and boosted to make them come through more clearly. In cinemas these were reproduced by multiple 18 inch speakers powered by monstrous amps.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
  17. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

This really depends on the person, how brains are wired (Simioni's dixit). I was just curious, but I was not expecting anything specific. Every answer is ok.

18. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Well he probably answered a different question to the one people think they asked him.

Most people experience something based on feel and it's kind of obvious the huge differences he'll feel between his setup there and a real life car - but, at the same time, these differences have nothing at all to do with the physics engine in the game.

He might spot other things, e.g whether he can go flat out or not that have some relation to people's hopes or desires, but no one looking at a 2d screen with a cockpit view drawn on it 3 feet away from his eyes is going to have the same experience of sitting in a car are they? No one watches their steering wheel when they're driving along do they and there's only one steering wheel in front of you, not 2.

And there lies the problem - you have to make sure he's answering the question that you think you asked - but I think you're right not to worry about it.

Computer games are either going to be fun or have some element of skill. Sometimes both.

IMO, far more important than realism is how high that skill ceiling is, i.e how much depth a game has to distinguish someone who has played 10000 hours from someone who has played 100 or 1000. If there's no difference then the game is shallow and, could be fun but it's not a game of skill.

It's like noughts and crosses, how many thousands of hours are you going to play that? Maybe when you were a kid you didn't spot the solution, but once you have, the game is over. Every game between 2 people who can play noughts and crosses well is a draw thereafter and, for anyone who is awake, that happens a few minutes after learning the game.

That's why I would measure TF2 as better than Overwatch. Or chess as better than monopoly. If you care about something else, for sure you might have a different opinion, you might think other games are more fun or have better graphics or whatever else.

19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So he spent like six months working with iRacing to make the car, and it's just worse than AMS2?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. sgsfabiano

He was answering if the (Stock Car) physics was realistic or not. He promptly said it was not. But shortly after he noted that he did not touch the default setup, which might have skewed his perception.

What about it?