1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5 Officially RELEASED - Now updated to V1.5.0.5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If he spent all that time working on the car and the end result is not realistic at all, that puts iRacing's whole "we work with real race car drivers to deliver the ultimate realistic simulation" pitch into doubt. That or the these race car drivers are just excessively negative because they expect to feel things that you are never gonna feel outside of a real race car, which also isn't particularly useful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I am pretty sure Reiza has put more effotlrt in Brazilian stock cars than iRacing. It makes sense. (Btw stock cars on iracing have been dead since the week 13th they were released. I doubt they would do something as Tony claims)

3. Dhansi09

Dhansi09 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I also think Tony used the 2022 model. Just have a look in the interior of the car.
    The 2023 version does have an improved cockpit with more details

4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Perhaps, but the "only iRacing is a real simulation" people would never acknowledge that. And I recall TK saying how the SCB on iRacing was the most realistic depiction of the car ever when it was released, so I wonder what exactly happened since then...

5. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That
    recall me of an old iRacing Australian V8 drama where iRacing was developing the car with an Australian v8 driver, reached a point where the driver was satisfied with the car but then after the community started complaining about the car they undid a lot of stuff and got the whole thing wrong making the car more slidy than it should

I believe something almost similar happened with GT3 on PCARS 2

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jota.191

I love iRacing almost as much as AMS2 but physics are not the reason. iRacing is mediocre at best physics-wise. Simulation is not only about physics though. Features as FCY add a lot of depth. Serious racers online also add it, the iracing strngth tbf.

Reiza cares about every aspect of "simulation", not just physics, and that is why I am here.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Idk man, it seems like AMS2 development has been heavily focused on physics. All the other stuff did not receive as much attention, some of them were possibly fully ignored.

I suspect the next update and many others that follow will have the same stuff: AI finetuning, Tyres finetuning, other physics related aspects finetuning, one or two new content additions. And that is it.

8. jota.191

They have focused on AI (not physics in the sense I was talking), we have oval racing, we have a spectrum of flag rules including FCY, historic content, etc. They definitely care, some people just would want them to be faster but it is not how it works...

Take a random example: Can you simulate an offline 90s GT1 sprint in AC? Yes you have the content (if you find a decent set of mods), yes perhaps you connect with AC physics even. But you cannot simulate a proper race: you will be racing against stupid AI without proper flag rules.

EDIT: I add something. While titles as F1-2023 are not usually on the table when we compare simulators, because physics are "arcady" I found it as a good example. I am not hooked to it for some reason but the couple of races I did when I started a season blew my mind. The feel of being in a F1 event cannot be compared to any other sim. Those moments where a caution is thrown in a NR2003 Daytona 500 and trackside yellow lights blink while you decide if pitting is wise, or that moments the AI moves to the interior before braking to defend, that is also simulation. I've found AMS2 walking into that direction slowly, with small things. An example in the next release: safety car lights.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

"The art of simulation design is about understanding limited fidelity" - Pete “Boomer” Bonanni

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

I tried the iRacing version of Brazilian Stock Cars when it came out and it felt like the old days of 'ice' racing, at least on default set.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

Yeah this is something we don't always think of with real driver opinions. Their expectations and experiences could be very different.

12. Chillblast

Chillblast Active Member AMS2 Club Member

So, a brazilin stock car driver tried the stock car in ams2, didn't think it was realistic in terms of simulation? that doesn't look great from the outside looking in.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

No driving game/sim is comparable to real life... even drivers cant agree which game they think is more realistic.... so just go with what feels like you are there imo... Pretty much all the main contenders have something unique and we are so lucky to have so many options.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Yup, the physics that come with your body moving with the car at 100+ Mph is kind of a big factor in real life.

That and the fear of death or expense... :D

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  15. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

You are right.
    But it doesnt have to be 100+ Mph because even cornering at 30 km/h in a tiny gokart does give your body and brain some physical inputs that is not reproduceable in any virtual sim:)
    Hehe even with a high end DD wheel and bumping frame:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Yes, that's why I find discussions completely pointless when it comes to the most realistic simulation.No simulation comes even close to reality.We can only try to deceive our brain and our tactile perception as best as possible

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. jota.191

I completely disagree with this opinion and previous ones aligned with this. (respectfully, do not read this in a harsh tone lol) .

I was not interested in driving and had zero idea before knowing sim-racing. After that, I know I am quicker in real life than most people out there. Every time I go to the go karts with friends one of the three of us that practice sim-racing wins, etc. Real drivers practice in sims also, for a reason.

The inputs you receive are different (I like to think them as a projection of the ones you get in a real car), micro-dynamics of each car can be different wrt to the real counterpart, etc. And even if the numbers correlate with reality, the *feel* can bee different to one person or another depending how much they miss the part lost in the projection. But at the end of the day the big principles apply. Real racers are quick in the sim and sim-racers are quick in real life. Simulations, I believe are pretty close to a projection of reality when well done.

Perhaps I am saying the same with just different emphasis, it is jus that for me the statement I am citing seems too strong.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  18. jeanvendors

jeanvendors Active Member

I really do think if you plopped a sim racer into a real F1 car they’d complain that it’s got way too much grip.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
  19. The_Neo_One

The_Neo_One AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

I must be doing something really wrong. I'm mediocre(being generous with myself) at sim racing and go karts.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. jota.191

Also I am, but that is beacuse we are comparing ourselves with other sim-racers, my whole point. Go to rental karts with people that never was in a sim rig and then tell me if you have not learned anything :whistle:

• Like Like x 2