1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5 Physics Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

depends how you are driving, if driving aggressively then just try to manage your tyres a bit, try sliding less, just in general be nice to them, tyre management is a big part of racing,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

This huge difference can be used to document by exact numbers that the cars have been made much slower by the 1.5 update.
    Exact numbers are much better than some goofy expressions of feelings like: I feel the cars behave much better now. And Im sure that its just a matter of tuning the setups and adapt your driving to the new behaviour before you can run the same laptimes.
    Because that is absolutely not possible.:cool:

ByTheWay: I think I have allready described what I think of this new behaviour in relation to "realism" and a convincing loose/regain grip behavior.:whistle:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I finally found some time to test what 1.502 delivers

First experience, I can now suddently drive on the Nürburgring GT course under 2 minutes in the Porsche GT3. I neber could before and neither can I replicate that in ACC or RF2

The Porsche Cayman in the GT4 class now resembles somewhat what is is like to drive a stock Cayman S RL.
    But then I stumbled about the 70's GT cars, the BMW 2002 in particular

No, no, no. That's not how the 2002 series drove. None of the late 70's cars tried to kill you all the time, not the Lancias, not the FIATs and now the BMWs. Since there was no electronics in the era. the chassis was build and set up in a stable way, not a twitchy. To aggravate that issue, the setup menue does not allow to changr any relevant chassie properties.fixed Zero camber in the front and 2° in the rear is also not a common setup for that era.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

So 1.5 has made the cars much slower, so much so that now you can drive the Nürburgring GT course much faster. :D Talk about a conflicting set of community feedback.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I get that most/some formula cars are slower after the update. But what point are you trying to make with these documented differences? Do you think they should be faster, do you think they are more accurate, are they slower in the corners or the straights, do you think they should be made as quick as before?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. McClutch

It is a very mixed bag, this 1.5. While some cars now drive like in Assetto Corsa, others resemble Forza Motorsport. There is a lot of spread in this release. Im still looking for a class that feels right to me, but now suddently it's the GT4 class, a series that I did not like in AMS2 before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. WhippyWhip

why do they resemble forza? nothing feels like forza to me

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. McClutch

GT1, Group C and GT3 cars in particular have that very forgiving Forza Motorsport feel to me.

Contrary to that, the Polo TSI and Group A feel spot on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. WhippyWhip

forgiving in what way? they have huge racing slick tyres on and lots of downforce, they shouldn't be sliding all over the place

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. McClutch

No one wanted more sliding. But I guess cars, are much to pointy and much to grippy now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. McClutch

Addendum: there is a peculiar track/cars combination where I personally can't tell any difference in feel and quality beetween ACC and AMS2. F-488 Challenge Evo (ACC) and Brabham BT-62(AMS2) on a dry warm summer day at Laguna Seca.

But that's setting you never see in a multiplayer lobby in none of both games.

12. BrunoB

No conflict if you use numbers intead of feelings.:cool:

None of the cars I have tried is now able to drive faster
    - at least if you compare them against your own competent laptime before/after
    - under the exact same conditions (TT).
    - use the exact TT laptime numbers

ByTheWay: If the cars after the 1.5 update were able to drive faster there were no reason to delete all TT LBs.:whistle:

13. McClutch

I can drive faster now on NürbGT because it turned out I won't lose the rear in the, prior to 1.5, difficult turns in the 911 GT3 R. Thats why. The car did not become faster, I just don't see a need to lift anynore in turns, and I can safely and effectivly brake 50meters later as before.

I'am running copy cat setups from ACC (as close as possible, since usable setup values don't fit 100%) on the Porsche in AMS2.

Main observation, springs and dampers in general react much softer at similar values in AMS2 (N/mm, Kg/mm)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Equally, perhaps the changes do not suit your driving style whereas they may suit someone else's more. So numbers alone will not tell the whole story either. But it is interesting to see the wide range of opinions and must be a hard thing to cater to all.

I am not sure I understand what it is you think makes them slower? Is it all tires based? My understanding is you think the lateral grip should be greater with quicker drop off (Peakier)?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

The Caterhams are quicker AFAIK

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So the cars similar to those you have driven (aside from the BMW 2002) feel realistic, while the cars you have never driven are "very forgiving"?

17. BrunoB

Yeah critique of the new 1.5 behaviour of the formula cars are ofcourse just moaning - at least for people like you.
    But it doesnt really matter.:D

Conserning if I will go elsewhere - it doesnt really matter too.
    Because I will ofcourse get back from time to time to check if the behaviour of the formula cars in AMS2 have got better and more "realistic" than now.;)

ByTheWay: Hehe I will probably also come back to turn some laps on the TT LBs to reinsert myself on the top or upper positions I have now with the 1.4xx physics. :p
    Because even if I consider the behaviour of the formula cars in AMS2 as downgraded by the 1.5 thingy then the same persons will more or less by garantee still be the fastest guys topping the TT LBs :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Gabriel Andrade Pessoa

Gabriel Andrade Pessoa TotosaLoko

I'm having fun with some comments, finding it strange that racing cars are stable and easy to drive, who knew, i think we've gotten used to the bad, i remember that in one of Rubens Barrichello's videos analyzing an old version of the game, he criticized precisely that, saying that if the cars he drove, behaved that (weird) way, he would have died a long time ago, cars are designed to be taken to the limit and not to kill the pilot.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 critics prior to 1.5. “The cars are way to slidey, feels like I’m on ice.” After 1.5, “AMS2 has way too much grip, I can’t spin out like I used to.”

And please don’t get me started again on the TT heroes that only seem to be mad that they aren’t as fast as they were. Like somehow that is the most important aspect of a racing simulator and the merit of an update.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  20. McClutch

No, it's because I struggled to come even 15
    seconds close to RL records at a track and suddently its only 5 seconds on the first try after patch. That makes me think the Sim now is a bit too optimistic.

• Funny Funny x 1