1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.5 Physics Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Gabriel Andrade Pessoa

Gabriel Andrade Pessoa TotosaLoko

We have to make an addendum, although it is intended to be a simulator, after all it is just a game, in the real world there are so many variables, and the driver has much more information on how the car is behaving, than comparing times of the simulator with the real world, for me, it's just ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

I think for the reason of there being two types of people who say the complete opposite things, the devs should have THEIR vision of what they are trying to do and just stick to that. If there is an overwhelming amount of people saying something about the physics like with the F-Reiza being totally off, then sure adjust something possibly, but when i read about some people thinking that they should reach qualifying lap times and the other group saying they shouldn't be able to, then that type of feedback is meaningless.
    8454fault.jpg

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Still, I have yet to see a more comprehensive analysis from the people who did not like the update regarding what is going wrong atm. I see bits here and there that sound worrying for me, but nothing with a big picture.

Personally, I was sent into an emergency work trip at the worst possible time (the day the update was released) and will be back home tomorrow. Unless I find something inmediately wrong, it will take me a few days before forming up an opinion.

4. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

Racing Live with real opponents is the best. A Blast
    Matching AI to real times is also pretty easy.
    Maybe a way to add ballast so we can match times.. Example, "Not a hit on any Mod"
    Clio Cup at Nurburgring. Real Cars 2:19-2:20 Today's race.
    You Can set AI to run those speeds @ 99%
    I jump in, An able to run 2:15-2:17. Now I can turn AI up. to run 2:15-2:17
    But what would be better? Add Ballast, BOP, or turn AI up? would love an option for Ballast
    or even a slider for Speed or Power of "Player car" Like an AI Adjustment
    For off line Only, But coming from a math co processor in 1998 just getting 1 number painted on a car made us happy as hell.. Number 3..RIP Dale! to present day. couldn't be happier.
    Great Job Reiza!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

by adjusting the car a little with in particular the wings and the steering, the Formula Reiza behaves much better. Maybe the original configuration is not optimal.
    I find the Ultimate G1 formula much better since the update, well done Reiza.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The feedback from this update has been really baffling in general. Some people commenting that "the cars finally have grip," others like GM saying "the cars are still too slidy, if you doubled the grip it would feel closer to what it should," others used to the old builds saying the cars have too much grip, and some in the modding community saying the stats with aero are giving strange numbers...

Reliable, detailed feedback seems is hard to find in the deluge of vague comments.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There's been some rumblings about aero numbers not quite adding up, but I'll let those who found it describe it. I will say, it's harder to lock up the brakes on most cars, but I'm not sure how much of that was default brake pressure being lowered, game physics in general, or that I raised my pedal strength.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There are a lot of vastly different opinions and feedback, so the balance must be between the lines. I for one am enjoying the sim as much as before, but I liked a lot of the cars before the update. I am having trouble with the braking on most formula cars now, while in beta I didn't have so many lockups, now its like before the update in that I need to lower the pressure to 85 to reduce the lockups.

Overall there are much more pros than cons, so they are going in the right direction.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. CJ56

CJ56 New Member

Keep in mind, everyone giving feed back is driving everything from opalas to gt1s to 70's f1, to modern f1. The feedback can't be consistent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That and these days every sim racer in existence has become a physics expert with a strong opinion...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Sberla84

Sberla84 MotorSimItaly

Now after a few days of testing and races, I have to say RX is simply fantastic. Somehow cars feel just perfect either on tarmac and dirt.
    On normal race cars I feel like they are in a way still lacking mechanical grip, or they are may be too stiff. As soon as I reduce to the minimum the arb and loosen suspension it gets better but I don't know if it should be really like this.
    Braking now is really spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  12. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Agreed ams2 RX is incredible

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

When it comes to the actual driving experience, comparisons between AMS2 V1.5 and all previous iterations of AMS2 are absolutely meaningless and a complete waste of time. The simulation suffered from a series of several, well-documented modeling and computational shortcomings that, once rectified, ought to compel simracers to justifiably consign all memories of pre-V1.5 AMS2 driving dynamics to the memory hole.

A better comparison, for starters, would be to drive identical vehicles in AMS2 and the original Automobilista. For example, take the Caterham Supersport out to Brands Hatch in both sims and see how they compare. Both sims are from the same developer and share some of the same content. Moreover, each sim features a progressive hierarchy of default FFB profiles (i.e., in both sims, each higher-level profile activates additional effects compared to the previous profile, as in basic/Default/Default+). Similarities such as these—and there are others—help to provide a better foundation for making meaningful comparisons to better evaluate the current state of the sim.

V1.4x AMS2 is dead and unworthy of resurrection—and it makes a laughably poor yardstick. Instead, judge V1.5 against its illustrious predecessor.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. TomLehockySVK

I never played AMS1 so i have nothing to compare to, and the Formula Reiza controls terribly. These types of weird arbitrary ways on how to compare and how to not compare aren't helping things either. Like i said before Reiza should have their own certain vision of how the physics should work and they seem to have a clear idea at this point as seen in the physics breakdown, but the Formula Reiza for example is most certainly not good now, for me so far it is the only car that i do not enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Yes that's true , also as I've discovered the game feels completely different depending on ffb base and game settings/ file selection. Wasn't happy with the grip feeling initially after the update dropped but after a few days of testing various ffb profiles I'm back on the default profile. Had to change various base settings drastically but feels excellent for me now .

16. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Different engines...

Bigger difference...

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

So be it. Therefore, start from scratch and simply look at AMS2 V1.5 with fresh eyes. Given all of the sim’s previous computational issues (drivetrain, tires, etc.) that have been painstakingly identified and corrected to arrive at a relatively cohesive whole (i.e., V1.5), I personally do not see any value in using memories of how flawed cars drove in previous versions of AMS2 as a reliable point of comparison. Tom and others’ issue noted above, about how most complete V1.5 cars feel okay but the F-Reiza feels off in comparison, seems quite valid and worthy of investigation.

Comparisons are inevitable. But those between AMS2 and any other sim is potentially more useful than comparisons between AMS2 V1.5 and any its own previous V1.4 iterations, which are relatively useless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. TomLehockySVK

But what should be THE simulator that everyone should use as a benchmark for each car ? Especially when different people have so many different expectations on how they think a car is supposed to behave. For example to me the asphalt Late Models in iRacing feel god awful, while in SRX The Game they feel amazing. GT3 cars in ACC feel dull to me, while in AMS2 they now all feel perfect. 2019 - 23 F1 cars in AMS2 are alright but i enjoy driving them more in the official F1 titles. And the original AC has so many cars modded to oblivion that who even knows if any of it is anywhere near realistic-ish.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I still think it is best to judge a sim on Driving cars RL. AMS2 makes that a lot easier compared to ACC. The closest thing I have experienced is a Porsche Cayman S on Nürburgring Trackday. It's representation isn AMS2 has improved a lot in AMS2. But both. ACC and AMS2 don't feel "real" when driving it on a PC, and it can't be real since all we get is a FFB, wheel in our hands. AMS2 is a bit too much like "rubber", ACC is too "mechanical". None is perfect but both somewhat give you an good idea what driving a Porsche Cayman is like. AMS2 is on top in wet conditions now. ACC is ahead in gfx, car functionality, sound and setup potentials.

Judging a simulator by another simulator can't be be way. Just switching the FFB wheel and other controller hardware changes everything.

But the same goes for RL cars. Changing tyre brand from Michelin eco to Pirelli sport can have a big impact.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

i actually found raceroom closest to what i have experienced with an m4 competizione at brands hatch personally (will suprise a lot of ppl me saying that), the feeling of grip in raceroom is still the best imo for connection to the road, ams2 has got closer now but the ffb in raceroom is just on another level for actual realism, but i know some ppl prefer other stuff through ffb that you wouldn't get through a wheel irl

• Like Like x 2