Automobilista 2 V1.5 Physics Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 25, 2023.

1. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And there's time-trial whose entire purpose is to make the fastest lap no matter what it takes, including: abusing physics in absurd ways as long as it works, making use of track limits to the limit, drive in an unrealistic way (compared to a real race) as long as it works... And that on ideal track conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

"High" performance TSI CUP is almost perfect to me now in 1.5. And thanks God, because before 1.5, it was more "realistic" and "hard to drive", and I probably will be dead now with these "real and hard to drive" physics in real world.

3. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I didn't try the TSI Cup on wets yet in 1.5, but if it really drove in the wet like it did in 1.4.x. then every motorist in Brazil would die as soon as it rains the first time.

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. Gabriel Andrade Pessoa

Gabriel Andrade Pessoa TotosaLoko

Here in Brazil, we have a lot of these cars to catch people, mainly young consumers, so they put some graphics and stripes, more aggressive lines, cool wheels, a decorative spoiler, some extra fairings, without even changing the suspension sometimes and so they say it's a sports car..

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

That's accurate :)

• Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. gerdeg

gerdeg New Member

Toe "hacks" in ACC are niche scenarios that actually make the car snappier/harder to drive for average driver at the limit and make FFB more vague.
    The observations explained by Nils of AMS2 tires being too forgiving at slip angle (and/or transitions being too smooth/slow) is not an extreme/niche scenario but a default state of driving in AMS2 if you actually push the car even a little bit and not drive like it's iRacing (like DaveCam does in his review of 1.5 update).
    Also contrary to some opinions in this thread you don't need to be genius/inhuman/alien/e-esports driver to notice, abuse and be able to describe this behaviour.
    It's actually good that Nils made this video because previously raising the same observations seem to put one in the category of GamerMuscles and/or AC fanboy.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
  7. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

yeah road feel is an effect added that some ppl like, you don't feel road texture through a steering wheel irl

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  8. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Y
    obviously haven’t driven on NZ chip seal roads ;)

• Funny Funny x 10
  9. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel the road texture on my normal car (Astra) just fine through the wheel. The wheel doesn't exist in vacuum... if the car vibrates from any reason, so does the wheel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. WhippyWhip

unless you have no power steering then i doubt you feel road texture through your wheel, there is not a constant vibration going through a cars steering wheel, you feel it through your butt

11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It also goes trough the chassis, the wheel isn't isolated here - hard to emulate without using FFB for it though. (minority has a motion system to more properly emulate it, and it's also high frequency to add to that...)

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

you can feel and see vibrations in your wheel, even while parked at a red light.. I have coffee all over the place. Maybe I need a new car

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. WhippyWhip

yeah a bass shaker under the seat is a good way too, especially for kerbs and other vibration stuff

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well I drive a 2019 Mazda 6, 19" tires and I can definitely feel road texture through the wheel.

15. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Judging by the admittedly crude metrics of SteamDB's graphs and the number of newly happy YT influencers (whose opinions I've been posting in the "More Videos Guys" thread in an attempt to give a flavour of v1.5's reception), and @CrimsonEminence's comments that there are improvements and refinements to come, the state of play seems to be that more people are happier with AMS2 than they were before and that this number should increase now that Reiza has a firm, bug-free grasp on the Madness engine. Is this a fair summary?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  16. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Although I do feel that some of the cars still feel a bit 'off' and there is definitely room for improvement across the board. The 1.5 pysics are a big improvement over what has come before and the driving experience is vastly improved in every car that I have tried.

I think comparing AMS2 to other sims is not really helpful. AMS2 is supposed to be a simulation of reality not a simulation of other simulators all of which have their own problems.

I would have thought that comparing real world telemetry with the telemetry of the in games cars would give the best impression of if they are behaving as they should?

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

But how can someone, like me, get telemetry data from a real car?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Every sim is trying to simulate reality, comparing sim to sim is a good way to understand what others may be doing better and worse. Simracing has only gotten better after time because of competition, isolating your sim from others, and always saying that other sims do it wrong is not the way to improve. Agree with you that 1.5 is a massive improvement!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. mmertens

mmertens Old school racer

I still didn’t have time to really access the physics update, but the only session I had until now was with BMW M1 on Spa with light rain. Since I still haven’t seen any assessment on the forum about new physics on slippery dry line on wet track, I was able to try first hand the physics effect on the dry lines being slippery, and I must say it was much much better, and I effectively was quicker avoiding dry line on wet, it made much more realistic and brought a grin on my face, I was able to try different lines to assess the grip differences, light real drivers do when practicing on wet track. Really impressed. The only aspect that for me felt a bit off was on some curbs where I expected the track to be slippery ( ex: outside curb at Pouhon), but I know this physics development is still ongoing . But it’s much more immersive now, and a big plus from AMS2 compared to other sims. I don’t follow YouTubers, so I don’t know if someone had already provided feedback about these improvements as well, but I’m curious to try other car track combos in the upcoming days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

It is unlikely that you can, but are you a developer of the sim? for the vast majority of us all we can do is use our limited experience of real world driving to make an assumption of what we expect each car to feel like.